It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a huge structure on Mars?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LeFaiseur

Your method is both brilliant and simple.
I just tried it myself in photoshop and got within a few pixels of your own figure. But on that scale a couple dozen metres doesn't make a lot of difference, so we'll go with your data.

If that thing is not purely a natural formation, then although it's pretty darned big it's not beyond comprehension. True, we have no idea what kinds of sentient beings may once have lived on Mars (if any), but allowing for the lower gravity there (38% of Earth's), larger creatures could possibly have managed quite well.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

I've discussed this photo in the past, and this is actually one of my personal "Nothing really explains it" images and I have a copy saved on my local computer. When you look at it in a broader context it does appear to be fracturing, but typically with fracturing you see quite a bit in the same area. Fracturing is more than capable of making a perfectly square shape:

Fracturing Images

Ultimately my notes on it are:

Geological processes of Mars not totally known, possible fracturing

However, my brother is convinced it is the remains of a walled city.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisbseth

He wasn't referring to manned missions to mars....that's off topic though.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Fair comments.

I'm in the "not sure" camp, I guess. I certainly don't take that apparent rectangular shape as definitely non-natural, because that would be quite a leap and require several assumptions which cannot really be supported at this time. So my own meanderings on the "citadel" concept are purely speculative; I hope no-one has taken them for anything more than that.

edit on 18/11/14 by JustMike because: grammatical error.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I read the title of the thread and I thought you meant this thing:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

You're not the first person today to find extra anomalies in the picture, also member Vasa Croe found one.

Other thread

Like I said in my OP, it makes you wonder what the Martian sands of time have hidden within it's history.

Good find!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Ayers Rock/Uluru.

Tabletop mountain.

Giants Causeway.

The Devils Tower.

Are all natural.

Why then jump to the conclusion that this is not?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

And the USAF have claimed they have Spaceships AND Starships.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

I believe due to the 4 seemingly perfect right angles.

All those sites described do not offer such precision.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin

Hexagonal Basalt Blocks not good enough for you?

gomadnomad.com...
squeezegutalley.files.wordpress.com...

Depending on a rocks overall geological structure, it will fracture to certain shapes.

Heres another

Mount Roraima
all-that-is-interesting.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
It is an awesome photo! Definitely not a natural structure. I always thought Mars got grazed by something big that knocked its water off the planet and caused that big gash on the one side of the planet. The water then rained down on Earth during the Noah's flood of 40 days and nights. Maybe God put people on different planets and this is how it went.... Well this is how my imagination works.

The water is still there. It's frozen solid and covered by millions of years of dust, now it just looks like ground.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I know of them, of course, but this is very large and a lot harder to explain...plus hexagonal shapes aren't all that surprising in nature....honeycomb.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Mt Roraima

Still no right angles...

C'mon neformore, I have a lot of respect for you during the years I have been here.....surely this has you curious?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Perhaps Every other planet, bar 'terra firma' had life upon such, yet as they - same as us - became 'Civilised'..... Then step by step they perfected war and destruction and that gave a reason to fly out in search of a new place to settle. IF so then this is the Finale, and once all is brought to a halt, end of story..........In plain, we had exhisted on each other planet until we brought such a close...........This - Earth - is our last gamble.............becaise it sure ain't getting better...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin

There are no right angles in the picture. You are ascribing something to an image taken at height from a considerable distance without proper perspective and depth. They may appear to look that way but pareidolia is difficult to deal with.

Curious? Yes I am. Immediately jumping to conclusions? No.

I've seen too many instances of claims that were either desperate or bogus to do that, and as a Civil Engineer who did considerable geology studies I'm well aware of what nature can do in terms of rock formations.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Glad we found common ground, and I did say 'seemingly'. That's one hell of a pareidolia, I'll give it that.

Wish I could go there and excavate...oh well.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Interesting site.. coincidence that this has a square formation ..? Nah I don't think so..Mars has always been to fascinating for most us. I think Mars wil one day rewrite our history...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This is one of those anomalies highly suggestive of artificiality.

Of course, it could be natural, but anyone would think of an artificial construction at first glance, due to the similarity to ruins here on Earth.

Add the radioactivity with the seemingly unnatural signature, and the landscape scans that suggested artificiality in certain areas (if true), and Mars becomes even more interesting... and it's fascinating without life, already.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

It would be nice if someone could do a transparency of the sidonia face and overlay the face like structure on this to show similarity's and dissimilarity by making them the same orientation and factoring in relative angles of the camera at the time of the shot, then both sites with possible ruin's may be shown to have a similar face like structure - this one badle degraded or buried though.

Hi, I'MarsKingAQuestion.

According to information discovered by other ATS members on how big a pixel is in the OP's source picture,

originally posted by: LeFaiseur

Counting the pixels in photoshop (through cropping and rotating), I got roughly 306*366, which gives 1860.48 x 2225.28 metres (with 1 pixel = 6,08 metres).

so, again roughly :

1.27 x 1.67 mi / 1.86 x 2.22 km

We now have a Martian Cubit to go measuring with.

Cydonia (region of Mars)

1976 Viking Orbiter image (left, image #070A13) compared with the 2001 Mars Global Surveyor image (right). The "Face" is 1.5 km across in size.

I have found a better version with a more decent orientation.

Which I then cropped and resized as follows,

1 pixel = 6m

Cydonia face = 1.5km across

Cropped Cydonia Face had to be resized to 250 pixels wide [250 x 6m = 1500m aka 1.5km] whilst still retaining picture aspect ratio!

I then inverted the cropped resized pictures colors to simulate shadows on the correct side, in relation to the sun, in regards to the other faces orientation also to the sun.

Then I simply cut out the new degraded face with size dimensions of 250 pixels wide and 310 pixels tall and did a side by side comparison picture, now that they are both in proper ratio of scale to each other.

Now that both pictures are in proper scale with each other and side by side,both structures seem to cover about the same area and the eyes seem to line up along with the nose and the mouth! :O

Hunters & Collectors: Do You See What I See?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsKingAQuestion

A better view,

And compare,

I am going to be bold and say that we may credibly have a 2nd face on Mars!

Does anybody else agree

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join