It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does our perception help determine reality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I ask this question because of what happened to me earlier today.

First, let me say that I have been documenting "coincidences" in my life for years now. I always thought it was curious how people could have sworn they put their keys in their pocket but they found them next to the bed to thinking they heard or read about someones death then saw they were still alive. Most of the times, people just explain these things away but I stopped doing that years ago.

I remember a guy everybody called Disco Bob. Everybody in the neighborhood was shocked when we heard Disco Bob had died. My Sister was friends with his Sister and remembers talking to her about Bob's death. One day my Sister was walking home and she saw Disco Bob. She screamed and ran because she just knew he was dead. Of course everyone laughed it off and explained it away. We were together with my Sister the other day and everyone was laughing and telling the Disco Bob story. Was my Sister and everyone who thought Bob was dead mistaken? I don't think so and it could be caused by an interaction between parallel realities.

Just the other day, I remember vividly closing my door before I went to bed. I woke up and the door was open and I live by myself. I don't remember opening the door. Now most people will just explain things like this away, but I write it down whenever something like this happens. Some of these things are coincidences or people being mistaken but I don't think that's the case everytime.

This morning, I went to fix me some Captain Crunch so I opened up the cabinet to grab my favorite bowl that I remember taking out of the dishwasher and putting it on the right side of my plates in the cabinet. It wasn't there so I opened up the dishwasher and when I saw it wasn't there I looked back to the cabinet and looked on the left side of the plates and put my hand up in the cabinet and moved the plates around. I closed the cabinets and looked around the kitchen for a few minutes. I went back to the cabinets and opened it up and my bowl was sitting on the left side of the plates right near the edge. It's like that saying, if it was a snake it would have bit me.

Now, part of this was due to the brain and expectations. My brain expected to see my bowl on the right side of the plates when I opened it and when it wasn't there I just couldn't see it on the left side of the plates. I saw this on Brain Games and it's an interesting quirk of the brain. What's harder to explain is why I didn't feel it when I put my hand in the cabinet. It was right their on the edge and my hand should have ran right into it even though I may have been blinded from seeing it for a few seconds.

Did my perception create reality at least temporarily and because I didn't wish to perceive the bowl on the left side of the plates I also couldn't feel it? It's a really vivid memory. I remember putting my hand on the shelf on the left side of the plates after I opened the cabinets.

At the end of the day, this just doesn't happen to me but it happens to many people. Most times we just explain everything away because that's what we do. Our brains tries to make sense of the world and it doesn't make much sense in a material sense if we actually experienced some of these things we just explain away.

Like I said, I think some of these things could be our interaction with parallel realities. If events from parallel universes interact, then you would expect some smaller scale events getting crossed. Like hearing about someones death or you could have sworn you cut the TV off before you left but it's on when you come home.

This wouldn't occur on larger scales like Princess Diana's death or the elections of Bush and Obama because the energy needed to reverse this events would be enormous.

So interactions between a TV being turned off or on are small scale interactions but waking up and seeing President Mitt Romney or reading about President Al Gore would take a large scale interaction and enormous amounts of energy.

Now some people might actually remember Romney or Gore winning but that will be a small number of people who will just laugh it off and say they maybe had a dream that these things occurred.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm having extreme déjà vu that I've read this exact thread already...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Really?? Let's read it. I will especially like to hear the parts from the other thread on small and large scale interactions. Also the story that happened to me this morning.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

edit on 17-11-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yes it does.

We have the ability to manifest, thought, intent and desire attracts a result, we have much greater power than we are often led to believe.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No.

Our perceptions are merely how we subjectively interpret objective permanence. No matter how many times you say the moon is made of green cheese, even if you believe it to be, it will never be made of green cheese.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

What??

Of course it won't but who made that claim????

Try debating about what was actually said.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

What??

Of course it won't but who made that claim????

Try debating about what was actually said.

There isn't anything to debate. A question was posed, and to elucidate my point, I gave an example. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I believe it does. We are ALL energy whether we want to believe it or not. The Universe is a big sea of energy. Our thoughts become reality. At least, that's how I view life.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I have definitely read that "Disco Bob" story not too long ago, maybe this guy deleted his other topic?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kappo

I have definitely read that "Disco Bob" story not too long ago, maybe this guy deleted his other topic?

Maybe we all willed this thread into existence by believing we had already read it.
edit on 17-11-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have experienced more synchronicities and rearrangements of what I thought was reality than I can even go into. I just take it as it comes these days.
One that comes to mind involved a guy I knew named Billy. I heard that Billy got killed in a car crash. I remember friends crying and taking a day off school to go to the funeral.
I didn't go. I rarely attend funerals. They aren't coming to mine, why should I go to theirs.
Fast forward about a decade...I'm driving down the road and see a guy walking. I thought I had just seen a ghost.
I stop and back up and ask if needs a ride. It was the Billy that I thought was long dead.
I told him that I thought he was dead...good to see you, man.
He gave me an odd look and said "No, I'm still alive."
I took him a few miles up the road until he said this is where I get off.
Never seen or heard from him since.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Once when I was younger I couldn't find the hoover for ages it was not there in its spot I had to hoover before my dad got back I was running around the house for like an hour going mad then there it was in its spot just sat there like what iv been here all along!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

That famous quote from Qui-Gon Jinn, "Your focus determines your reality" are words that I live by.

To say that "Your perceptions determine your reality" is entirely accurate, of course. The only way we determine what is "real" is through our senses. What we see, what we smell, taste, touch, etc. Our perceptions are how we interpret that raw data. Even if we interpret the raw data of our senses incorrectly, it still becomes our reality. Optical illusions or hallucinations are your reality if you believe them, until you don't.

Keep in mind that reality only exists in the moment of now. The future doesn't exist yet, so it's not a reality. The past is only as real as you remember at this moment. A little brain damage and any lost memories are no longer part of your reality.

The reason I like Qui-Gon's take on it is that it's more useful, more proactive. "Your perceptions determines your reality" implies that your reality is dependent on what your senses take in, whether you like it or not. "Your focus determines your reality" says that you can take control. You can use your brain to reason through what your senses perceive and what you believe should be.

For instance, when I'm shooting pool. When I'm focused my shots play out exactly the way I saw them in my mind. Even when I miss, I can pinpoint a brief moment in my mind where I saw the ball hitting the wrong spot, or putting the wrong english on the cue, or hitting too hard, or whatever. I stand up and say to myself, "Why did I do that?", but I always know exactly what I did wrong. I saw it in my mind before I hit the shot. I'd be a lot better player if I had the patience to wait until I was solely focused on making the shot properly.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

One day, technology may be so far advanced, it can alter the molecular structure of the moon, transforming the moon into blue cheese, just to spite you.

Never say never, again!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Just the other day, I remember vividly closing my door before I went to bed. I woke up and the door was open and I live by myself. I don't remember opening the door. Now most people will just explain things like this away, but I write it down whenever something like this happens. Some of these things are coincidences or people being mistaken but I don't think that's the case every time.

Me neither. If you would could you give us more of an idea about the number of events and their type in a given period?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Just the other day, I remember vividly closing my door before I went to bed. I woke up and the door was open and I live by myself. I don't remember opening the door. Now most people will just explain things like this away, but I write it down whenever something like this happens. Some of these things are coincidences or people being mistaken but I don't think that's the case every time.

Me neither. If you would could you give us more of an idea about the number of events and their type in a given period?

Like I said, I have been doing this for a few years now so I have a few notebooks full of things. Some of them I believe are coincidences but some are not.

I'm looking at one from a year ago. I bought small bottle of pop, opened it and took a couple of sips. At least that's what I remember. When I came back the next day the bottle of pop wasn't opened. Now, most people will just say to themselves, I thought I opened this. Open up the pop and forget about it. I went straight to my notebook and wrote it down.

Little things like this happen all the time but like I said we just explain these things away.

My brother was just telling me about a month ago that he ran into a guy at the gas station that he could have sworn had been shot.

I think things like this cause small ripples in time so when these events interact between parallel universes we just explain them away.

So if we were interacting with a parallel universe where Mitt Romney is President, small events like opening or not opening a bottle of pop can interact but large events that cause huge ripples in time like the Election of the President couldn't interact.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Do these things that happen to you happen only at home?

Sorry for the delay between replies.I will be back in the early am to respond to you until you get tried or I give you my opinion. I ask these to get a feel for the circumstances overall , don't worry I'm not one to unload with some harsh judgment, not for stuff like this.

Thanks in advance…

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I often track my "choices" and sometimes I have "visons" about a "possible future" - lets say I could have made choice A or choice B, when I make choice A, at the same time, sometimes I envisage what would of happened if I had chosen choice B.

I'll give you a few examples:

I remember having to decide about the medication that I should take for my condition - one was drowsy and the other increased appetite. I remember choosing the medication with the drowsy side effect. Months later I had a vision about an "alternate self" that took the medication with the appetite side effect. I saw myself, and I had put on a lot of weight and my personality had changed as well. This was the "me" that would have resulted if I took the medication that increased appetite.

Another incident was where I was temporarily held in a mental ward - it was low-security. I was told not to jump the fence otherwise I would be put in a more secure facility. I remember being tempted to jump, however decided not to. I was released in a few weeks. Months later, I had a vision of still being in the ward, obviously, that would have been the reality if I had jumped the fence - I remember feeling how lucky I was to have chosen not to jump.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Perception is your reality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join