It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Africans more susceptible to die from Ebola?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Are Africans more susceptible to die from Ebola? This is not meant to be a racial thread more one of genetics. S far at least in the USA it seems like people from or descendent of Africans die more often than those who are from elsewhere.

Anyone know the statistics outside the USA? I'll do some searching for info and post back shortly. Just something that caught my attention with the latest death in Nebraska.

Well evidently I am not first to notice. It's a shame the crazies come out with stuff like this...

Farrakhan claims Ebola invented to kill off blacks

Firebrand Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan’s latest racially-charged claim is that Ebola – the deadly disease ravaging parts of Africa and now diagnosed on American soil – was designed by white scientists specifically to kill off blacks.

I am wondering if the virus that comes from bush animals evolved in a way more dangerous to those in the areas eating the animals based on Genetics not racial hatred. I cannot believe anyone would suggest such a thing as Farrakhan evidently has sigh...

But there does seem to be something about Ebola being more deadly to black people. I suspect it's genetics and not created by any human hate group...

edit on 17-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think it is not race related. You can die from Ebola no matter the race. It is only that it is more prevalent in Africa at the moment.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: mmirror
I think it is not race related. You can die from Ebola no matter the race. It is only that it is more prevalent in Africa at the moment.

Well I disagree. It seems people that are not from Africa can be treated and cured while it seems Africans are more likely to die even under treatment. At least in the US.

I mean there are differences in our genetics such as Africans get sickle cell anemia more often than other groups. I am wondering if Ebola is a bit more deadly for certain groups of people for some reason not the Hate murderous reasons... That's for another thread not mine heh.
edit on 17-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
its not a race or genetic thing...
there have not been enough cases in the states to show it kills everyone the same..
it has killed more black people in africa because that is the demographic there...

the major factor in survival is solid treatment as early as possible

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
its not a race or genetic thing...
there have not been enough cases in the states to show it kills everyone the same..
it has killed more black people in africa because that is the demographic there...

the major factor in survival is solid treatment as early as possible

Well I hope they at least look into the possibility because it might help them identify better ways to treat everyone.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
N/M

edit on 11/17/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I think that is dependant on the conditions the people are under. Parts of Africa are very poor and the conditions are not great. Medical supplies and staff are low compared to the US. So I think this plays a role in the amount of deaths.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Xeven
It seems people that are not from Africa can be treated and cured while it seems Africans are more likely to die even under treatment. At least in the US.

The two black men in the USA who died from Ebola did so because their treatment was given late in their illness whereas the people who survived got treatment early. The Dallas ebola patient lied about being in contact with ebola and then the hospital missed it. The most recent death (today) saw us bringing an ebola patient to the USA who was already critically ill with Ebola. It was 'hour to hour' when he came over. That's a VERY different situation than the others who were given care and who recovered. Those in the USA who were given care and who recovered, were given care early on after getting the ebola. Except for that one nurse who went on a shopping trip across the country. I'm surprised she survived.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Well time will tell. I cannot find any statistics on it from overseas. The first two patients where very ill though. The two that went to Atlanta initially. I think at this point it is a subject worth watching, though without more statistics on who does and does not survive it may be a bit early to say there is something different but worth watching!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
About 1% of people of European descent are immune to the HIV virus.
It would take some scientific study to know if certain genetic traits make some people more or less susceptible to ebola.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
As the outbreak in Africa developed the response was slow initially, allowing the number of cases to rise to the point that medical infrastructure became overwhelmed.

Then it doesn't' matter what the color of your skin. Ebola sees only meat, not pigment.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread,and I'm wondering-Thomas Duncan died-but Amber Vinson survived? They're both black.I don't deny that there are genetic differences like the sicle-cell anaemia you mentioned.However,there are basically only black people living in West Africa-had the affected countries been home to a mixed society of blacks,whites,coloreds,and various other ethnicities,like my country,South Africa eg-i think would have been able to have a more accurate picture.As we have seen,though,white medical workers Have contracted Ebola also.I would say Ebola is an indiscriminate killer-just in a country like the US,there are better supportive treatment available.The black people in West Africa have not been treated with the convalescent serum either,that Pham,Vinson etc received,so there's that consideration also to bear in mind.They are dumped on a bed and wished best of luck,basically.a reply to: Xeven

edit on 17-11-2014 by Raxoxane because: typos's

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I believe it would be fair to say that people from Africa are more susceptible to Ebola but not due to genetic but rather other social and economic factors.

The countries affected so far are mostly African so right there it means we will see more Africans affected but their health care system is not as developed as our own, they have poorer sanitation less awareness of infection control and so on. I have also read that in many African cultures hugging a dead body is very much the norm, this cannot help with the spread of the disease.

One could probably get really in-depth into the epidemiology of Ebola but i would doubt that genetics would be a huge factor.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Are Africans more susceptible to die from Ebola? This is not meant to be a racial thread more one of genetics. S far at least in the USA it seems like people from or descendent of Africans die more often than those who are from elsewhere.

No, i don't think so.

The fact is that Ebola is currently at epidemic levels in western Africa, meaning that it is only natural that the risk of infection in those countries is higher. Add to this the ignorance of Ebola among the population, and their traditions, and it only becomes more complicated to withstand the disease. Also of note is the fact that almost every infected Westerner has been given some kind of antidote which has mostly aided in halting Ebola, whereas the many African patients (with the exception of some cases) are left without any form of experimental medical treatment. It gets even more complicated when one understands that all the experimental medications are different...

edit on 17-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Grovit

The OP asks a fair question.
But because of the emotion surrounding the question
and the politics of even daring to ask such a question,
the answer may not be known for generations.

It is too sensitive a topic to even be researched,

even though there might be lifesaving reasons to do so,

and even though research into it might evolve a better drug to cure it.

There are certain questions that are so taboo, that no matter how logical
and how unemotionally they are asked.
That people can not bear to even breach the topic,
and anything to do with differences between races,
even genetic differences,
are so taboo as to be forbidden to even think.

However, the OP question is a good one.
Race as we call it came about due to thousands of years of inbreeding populations, where due to survival reasons (ie. fair skinned children dying of sunburn in africa) certain characteristics developed.
Sickle cell anemia is one of them, it developed as a result of malaria which is prevalent in Africa, and the genetic trait that morphed into sickle cell was originally protective against malaria.

So the OP question is valid,
however,
it is like asking about sex during the reign of Queen Victoria,
or going to Saudi and asking about women's equality,

isn't going to happen,

far too taboo and forbidden a subject to even be broached.

Regardless of the possible positive outcome,

genetic differences between races

is too taboo these days in fashionable societies to even fund research.

The same happened with gender during the 1970's
and we are just now crawling out from under the rock that men and women are genetically identical
except for reproductive organs.
We are just now discovering that all the drug research
and medical research done on males
often does not translate equally to females.

Females react differently to drugs than males
and we are just now learning that
due to the feminist taboo on researching differences
that lasted 30 years or more and still has residual resistance to researching the subject.

edit on 9Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:57:57 -0600am111711amk171 by grandmakdw because: format spelling addition

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
There may be cultural factors that make Africans (in Africa) more prone to death by Ebola.
These being magical belief systems, and scientific primitivism,
which may prevent them from proper procedures when dealing with infectious pathogens.

Also Ebola comes from Africa, so they are much closer to the primary vector (what ever that is)

I am also certain that the spend per patient in Africa, is far less that of westerners that become infected.

this article does however present findings that genetics do play a role in disease susceptibility.
edit on 17-11-2014 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There is mutation in gene called NPC1, which makes its carrier fully Ebola resistant, about 1 in 300 to 1 in 400 of people in Europe have this mutation, but in some places like Nova Scotia, mutation can be present between 10 to 26 percent of population. In lab conditions this mutation made cells entirely Ebola resistant, but it is unknown does it work in real life.
www.livescience.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Why not?
Aids is shown to be more prevalent in blacks as is the link between MMR jab and autism
Add on top suspected population control drugs used in Kenya and indeed throughout Africa and the middle east ( oh and how we cry when some WHO immunisation clinic in Pakistan gets bombed )
So why not
Just sayin

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Turn it upside down....
Perhaps black skinned people WILL SURVIVE Ebola, far more often than the whiter skinned peoples???
This is very possible.....

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I believe this and all of their viral weapons are very much race specific. That is what they do. Benjamin Fulford is right, but then already knew that, after wading through some of the propaganda he may be forced to give, there is something in what he is saying, because you can't just threaten the Rockerfellers, ie David, and elites with assassin ninja's and then demand old man Rockerfeller sit in your small apartment and interview him, while he's visiting royalty, and have him comply. But he did.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
I have absolutely positively 100% no doubt that genetic weapons exist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join