It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of ISS: Russia going solo with space station?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If its not obvious at this point that we are defiantly in a cold war with Russia, then i don't know what is .

i was hoping that the two space agencies would leave their drama back at earth ,and not let it effect the "space programs "

how dumb was i to think that would happen ? *rolls them sarcastic eyes*

well we all seen it coming i guess ...anyway on to the news ! but hey ,maybe i am wrong and Russia just want's to break away right ?

what do you think ATS is this a good thing for the future of space exploration ?

The Russian space agency is reportedly considering construction of a high-altitude orbital station starting from 2017. This means that Moscow may walk away from the ISS after 2020, when its obligations under the current project are fulfilled.

Kommersant newspaper reported that the manned space exploration program for the period until 2050 implies step-by-step assembly of a new scientific space station, citing its sources in Central Research Institute for Engineering Technology, Roscosmos space agency’s leading space scientific and research enterprise.

The principal difference from the currently operating International Space Station will be the new Russian station’s high-altitude orbit with a 64.8-degree inclination, which would make up to 90 percent of the Russian territory visible from on board, including Arctic shelf seas.

From the ISS, which has an orbit inclination of 51.6 degrees, no more than 5 percent of the Russian territory is currently visible.

Additionally, the new station will be better positioned for manned flights from Russia’s under-construction Vostochny Cosmodrome, which will see the first rocket launch in the end of 2015.

"There are rumors about Russia leaving the ISS project. We will not, the program is set to run until 2020 and we will stick to our international obligations. As for prolonging it till 2024 – that’s what we’re really doubtful of," Rogozin stressed.

Last week Roscosmos head Oleg Ostapenko told NASA administrator Charles Bolden at the Airshow China exhibition that the decision on further use of the ISS after 2020 will be made by the end of the year.

The US space industry, which uses Russian Soyuz vehicles to deliver its astronauts to the ISS, insists on using the ISS until at least 2024. Other participants in the project, such as Japan, have also expressed interest in sustaining operability of the station for a longer period.

In 2013, the US spent $3 billion on the ISS, six times more than Roscosmos allocated for the station, whereas Russia has the right to form half of the ISS crew.

The ISS project was initiated in 1998, with Russia contributing the first modules needed for its construction. Before the ISS, Roscosmos operated its own Soviet-era MIR station, which remained operational for 15 years, from 1986 to 2001, before it was de-orbited and sank in the Pacific Ocean.

read more HERE

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don't really see how this is a "Cold War" thing at all.

Russia does not have to stay with the ISS past 2020. They have an interest in building their own station in an orbit that will allow them to view their country and surrounding areas better.

You're not going to move the ISS very easily to do that.

A "Cold War" thing would be more along the lines of: Russia abandons the ISS prior to 2020, or were to take it over and refuse anyone else the use of it.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
China and India will, perhaps, start building their own stations eventually, even the EU! more work for the space industry, especially that new UK space plane!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Russia bailing on the ISS after the deal expires is a no-brainer.

You don't stay in business with a partner that cheats you.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
China and India will, perhaps, start building their own stations eventually, even the EU! more work for the space industry, especially that new UK space plane!

China and India would be welcome to join Russia in a new space project. As would Brazil and South Africa, the other members of BRICS.

The US disqualified itself when it conspired with the Ukraine.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
GOOD more space less war.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
GOOD more space less war.

No
Just war in space.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
1. Russia have been working on their own space station for years, before the recent conflict started.

2. The ISS cannot exist indefinitely, it will have to be retired sooner or later.

3. NASA had already issued a statement that all non-essential interaction with the Russian Space Agency will be stopped.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Russia does not have to stay with the ISS past 2020. They have an interest in building their own station in an orbit that will allow them to view their country and surrounding areas better.

A "Cold War" thing would be more along the lines of: Russia abandons the ISS prior to 2020, or were to take it over and refuse anyone else the use of it.

guess you have not been keeping up with the current BS between Russia and the US ?
a simple google search should suffice.. just saying

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

You do know that Russia has been talking about this since 2009 right? Just saying.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Walsh

originally posted by: eriktheawful

guess you have not been keeping up with the current BS between Russia and the US ?
a simple google search should suffice.. just saying

"Just saying" that simply because a space agency of another country wants to build their own space station, does not mean it has to do with any "cold war".

I'm well aware of things between the US and Russia right now.

As has been pointed out to you: Russia has thought about their own space stations as recently as 2009. It's something they've always wanted to do.

On that note: Russia, like many other space agencies, have many ambitions and plans, but not all of them happen.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's a very warm, 'Cold War' anyway. Russia is still doing big business with the West, and that's not going to stop any time soon.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If Russia launches an upgraded version of Mir does that mean it will burn faster?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

i am just saying it seems like an Obvious flex on Russia behalf , but who knows i can be wrong ,

but we can agree that no doubt Russia and US are posturing between each other right ?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

You do know that Russia has been talking about this since 2009 right? Just saying.

if you say so , i dono about you , but i feel like the timing to "re announce it " is a bit odd , given that we know 100% Russsia and the US have been posturing at each other .

that's just my opinion , and i could be wrong .

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The US and Russia's space agencies are government run and funded. So absolutely they can be affected by bad relationships between the two countries.

However, even as bad as things might look to some right now over the UK, Sanctions, etc. This "Cold War" is no where near as "Cold" as the last one that I grew up in, and served in the military in.

This news isn't really that big of a deal really. There was always a chance that come 2020, the Russians would stop supporting the ISS.

Bigger news would be if they abandoned it now, or before 2020, or like I said, they take it over and refuse access to any other countries.

Now if they did that last one? THAT would be much more "Cold War".

But yes: it is possible for space agency relationships to become frayed.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

fair enough , so do you think this will have any negative impact on space exploration ?

setbacks , things like that ?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Time to reactivate the shuttle program.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Not really.

As a matter of fact, the more other countries put stuff up there (for PEACEFUL purposes), the better I think. More humans going into space, more science being done.

Personally I always felt the ISS was more of a boondoggle. I wanted to see something much larger, much further out that would eventually serve as a platform for building interplanetary ships to be launched from.

Instead, we have the ISS, which is barely in outerspace (180 miles up is not that far at all). They do science which is great, help promote countries working together, and that's great.

But I would rather have seen us reach the things I saw as a kid (Moon Base Alpha from Space:1999 and that space station you see in 2001: A Space Odyssey).

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Russia will be too busy being China's little "B" to have time to make their own Space Station. Vlad looks pretty pitiful next to his Master in China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join