It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball goals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have not watched a professional basketball game since before Larry Bird retired. But have always had a nagging question concerning the hoop height. I know it is set at 10'. Most of these players if not all of them can dunk a ball in at 10'. That really does not take a lot of skill when you stand 7' tall. So why not move it up to 11' and let them develop skills of making a shot without simply dunking the ball? What they do now is simply grandstanding IMO.
edit on 11 17 2014 by Ceeker63 because: mispelled word

edit on 11 17 2014 by Ceeker63 because: mispelled word

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It seems only like 4 percent of all points are dunks

www.basketball-reference.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

cause people like shaq that jam it home cant even bust a free throw...how are they supposed to hit the net with people in their face
ahahahah

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That's like taking the home run out of baseball. Watch the sports channel highlights. It's all slam dunks and home runs with a few other plays thrown in.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71 Hoosier, I am not a sports fan at all. The only game I watch all year long is the deciding game of the World Series.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This post is so ignorant I don't even know where to start. If you haven't watched a professional game since before Bird retired, you have missed a whole lot of basketball. I have played for 12 years, including in Australian and US systems. Hardly any players are 7 feet tall, and those of whom are, would be considered lucky if they have enough skill to get solid minutes. Being able to dunk is an amazing feet of athleticism that comes about from years of training, hard work and nurturing athleticism. It does take a WHOLE LOT OF SKILL to dunk. We take for granted how hard it is because they make it look so easy. Also, considering the game now almost seems to be won now on 3 point shooting (as seen in the past few years of the finals) and defense. Move on and stop living in the past.

new topics

top topics

join