It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo to rival GPS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Europe and the US are on a collision course (again).

Europe is about to launch the first satellite in its new GPS-style Galileo system, system which is comprised of thirty satellites, and is so accurate it can pin-point transmitters to within 2 metres.

The Pentagon however, are saying that they propose to locally jam the signal in places like Taiwan as China would be able to use the signal to guide missles onto the island

My question is:

Whats to stop China using GPS to do the same?

Now i will admit, i'm not totally clued-up on this; maybe GPS has some sort of safety mechanism to stop something like this. if it has, are the Pentagon saying that Europe is too dumb to come up with similar security systems?

What should be a celebration of technical achievement looks set to degenerate into a military/political catfight

any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The US has complete control of GPS something they wouldnt have on Galileo so im sure GPS has some type of fail safe and security built in to prevent enemies from using it.

I didnt know Galileo only pin-points to within 2 metres GPS goes down to inches. Civilians used to get the watered down GPS awhile back that was down to yards but now its much better.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
The US has complete control of GPS something they wouldnt have on Galileo so im sure GPS has some type of fail safe and security built in to prevent enemies from using it.

What makes you think Europe wouldnt have complete military control over this? I'm not saying they will, but this is causing a stir in the UK goverment at the mo, so my guess its not just a civilian project

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I didnt know Galileo only pin-points to within 2 metres GPS goes down to inches. Civilians used to get the watered down GPS awhile back that was down to yards but now its much better.

now thats VERY interesting! i should probably have guessed that civilians used a watered down version of GPS. after all, dont the USAF use GPS on some of their missles?

i got my info from the BBC, and even though they are (IMO) the best news org. in the world, if Galileo was to be used by euro military forces they wouldnt advertise it, would they? could you imagine what the Pentagons reaction would be? so my point is, is the capabilities of Galileo greater than revealed?

Maybe the Pentagon know this, and are a bit edgy!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
GreenStar /StarFire(A John Deere product) offers 4 inch GPS accuracy. YOu can even place a "digital marker" on the field, and come back to it in the dark and be notified when you are on top of the marker

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
just to add something i dont know if it has been said but they are making 4 the eu and some one else are involved in it.

new topics

top topics

join