It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True or false? Russia donated a 911 tear drop memorial.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

This is the "TEAR DROP" made and installed by the Russians to honor those who died in 9 11 and a statement against terrorism. It is very impressive. The tear drop is lined up with the Statue of Liberty.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

Gift from the people of Russia......."Monument to the struggle against world terrorism, artist Zurab Tesereteii"
Read more at www.snopes.com...

True. I did not know this and it's been there since 2006. How come the press never talks about this?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The press did. Back in 2006.

It's pretty common for the press to stop talking about memorials that are nearly a decade old.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gatorboi117
The press did. Back in 2006.

It's pretty common for the press to stop talking about memorials that are nearly a decade old.

Actually I have been doing some digging out of curiosoty and I can't seem to find anything that denotes that the media ever talked about this at all... In fact, there seems to be an air of mystery surrounding the whole thing. It seems, for a while, people were questioning if this sculpture even existed at all. If you can find anything that shows the media was talking about this in 2006, feel free to share it with us. This has my interest now.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Here's a 2007 article from The New Yorker.

Here's a 2004 article from the New York Times.

There are also tons of articles that came out at the time in independent journals in magazines. All I did was search "terrorism memorial teardrop russia" in Google and I refined the search between 2004 and 2007.
edit on 16-11-2014 by gatorboi117 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I found this 2012 article from the dialymail.

Learning of its existence by chance, I tried to discover more from locals at Ground Zero, where the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre stood until September 11, 2001, and was met with blank expressions.

Apparently it is not that well known at all.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

Thank you, very interesting stuff.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I very barely remember seeing it before long time ago. I don't watch news so I dunno..

Of course to my crazy mind it doesn't look like a tear drop.

its a hyper super nano particle chemtrail melting wrecking ball bomb or something

Just kidding,

but it's a nice gesture. I like that.

edit on 16-11-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
When I first saw it I thought that was a drop of oil, not a tear drop. Real tears are clear.

But I get the artistic license, too.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I've never heard of this before. I didn't get it at first and didn't really like the look of it but the more I looked the more I saw and now I think it's genius.

I don't know if it was intended but the first things that entered my head were, liquid metal in the core of a building,lack of a core,a source of oil, an eye.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

When I first saw it I thought that was a drop of oil, not a tear drop. Real tears are clear.

But I get the artistic license, too.

There could be something to that. Since 911 was designed to get us cranking things up in the Middle East so the oil guys could make trillions.

Russia makes a memorial with a tear drop of oil to commemorate those our leaders have sacrificed for their gain.

I like it. The Russians are dam good at memorials.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I was living overseas during 911 so I missed a lot. I hope the press mentioned this. It is a remarkable piece of art no matter what though. Thank you for posting.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Gatorboi's link dispels that, from the artist perspective anyway…

Tsereteli’s inspiration came, he says, on September 11, 2001. “I saw the people gathered around the American Embassy,” he said recently from Moscow. “The tear that came out of my eye and fell, that gave me the idea for the monument.”

Some more on his construct…

Still, skeptics wonder how he gets the valuable metals that go into his monuments—for instance, the unusually shiny stainless steel that covers the forty-foot Tear of Grief. Asked by telephone about the steel, Tsereteli got into a glum-sounding discussion in Russian with his grandson, Vasili, who, patched into the call from Venice, was acting as interpreter. Finally, Vasili said, “From a military factory that did airplanes. In Dzerzhinsk. A secret city.”

And…

More discussion, with a sense of rising impatience in Moscow. Finally, Vasili: “He is a government employee, and he does many things in the name of the Russian government.”

By the way, stainless steel isn't black, Its si lvery looking. Not sure why it appears black in the monument unless someone got that wrong or a finish was applied. Not necessary with "stainless" though as its name implies.

link provide by gatorboi117

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

I don't recall ever hearing of it before like other posters have said.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: caterpillage

Gatorboi's link dispels that, from the artist perspective anyway…

Tsereteli’s inspiration came, he says, on September 11, 2001. “I saw the people gathered around the American Embassy,” he said recently from Moscow. “The tear that came out of my eye and fell, that gave me the idea for the monument.”

Some more on his construct…

Still, skeptics wonder how he gets the valuable metals that go into his monuments—for instance, the unusually shiny stainless steel that covers the forty-foot Tear of Grief. Asked by telephone about the steel, Tsereteli got into a glum-sounding discussion in Russian with his grandson, Vasili, who, patched into the call from Venice, was acting as interpreter. Finally, Vasili said, “From a military factory that did airplanes. In Dzerzhinsk. A secret city.”

And…

More discussion, with a sense of rising impatience in Moscow. Finally, Vasili: “He is a government employee, and he does many things in the name of the Russian government.”

By the way, stainless steel isn't black, Its si lvery looking. Not sure why it appears black in the monument unless someone got that wrong or a finish was applied. Not necessary with "stainless" though as its name implies.

link provide by gatorboi117

Yes indeed stainless is silvery, when polished is quite mirror like. Shadows no doubt, and problems arising by cameras give it that blackish luster.

Dam, thought my idea sounded quite interesting.

Killjoy

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I did not know this and it's been there since 2006. How come the press never talks about this?

Because it was 2006 and it was in Russia.

pretty simple.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Read moar.

It is not in Russia. It is in New Jersey. Either way, I don't personally feel like this monument got the attention it deserves. I am just now hearing about it myself.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

ah fair enough, Does not actually say where it is though in the OP

Even still, it was 2006.
edit on 16-11-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Aside from the fact that in one of the quotes in the OP it clearly states that it is lined up with the Statue of Liberty, last time I checked there was no Statue of Liberty in Moscow. The fact that it was reported in 2006 and that I am just hearing of it over a decade later is all the evidence I need to know that the MSM didn't talk about this as much as they probably should have. Back in 2006 I was still "asleep" and watched fox news like it was going out of style. So it is passing odd that I never heard this reported at all. I can't help but wonder why it wasn't talked about...

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Dude i think you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

This really is a non-issue.

its interesting that Russia donated a monument but other than being a passing interest I fail to see why this is significant.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

It's because I found it on Snopes. At some point it must have been a mystery or a rumor for Snopes to do research on it. This is why I found it interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join