It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman suing owner of dog that her dogs killed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Just to throw in something to think about.

How many would believe the beloved hound breed from "Where the Green Fern Grows", was once the fierce maneater that was also banned from ownership and considered as dangerous, probably more so, than the present day pit bull.

Maybe it is not the breed. Maybe the true monster is us.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: Tangerine

Why on earth would you assume for one second that human males,or females,for that matter,who preyed on the innocent and defenceless,would receive an iota of mercy or clemency from me,if i was the one in charge of this #pit? Seriously,what do you base that assumption on? Perhaps you should read some of my posts,i think you may gain a better understanding of what i'm about.

Fine,if i had to go deeper-ALL breeding with PitBulls,would be forbidden,till only breeds remained that contained no PitBull dna/genes whatsoever.And if Anyone wanted to keep a dangerous breed like Rottweiler,German Shepherds,Dobermans,Boerbulls(a dangerous breed very popular in my country,South Africa) they would have to adhere to Stringent regulations on safety and animal containment integrity on their premises.I don't do things by half-measures,i can assure you,What i postulated was just the start.If a child got mauled by a dangerous breed,or Any dog on my watch i can guarrantee you the consequences for the owner would be such that all dog owners would swiftly adhere to sensible measures.

I have to ask you again,though,just out of curiosity(since You turned the discussion from dogs to humans) what the Hell made you think that humans who visited evil upon others-most especially the innocent,young and defenceless-would not have reason to curse the day they were born,on My watch???

You missed the point. You want to ban pitbull type dogs because a small number have attacked humans. In otherwords, you want to take preventative measures. I'm asking why you don't apply the same to humans, a significantly larger number of whom have attacked humans and dogs? I'll repeat: you missed the point.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Tangerine

Why on earth would you assume for one second that human males,or females,for that matter,who preyed on the innocent and defenceless,would receive an iota of mercy or clemency from me,if i was the one in charge of this #pit? Seriously,what do you base that assumption on? Perhaps you should read some of my posts,i think you may gain a better understanding of what i'm about.

Fine,if i had to go deeper-ALL breeding with PitBulls,would be forbidden,till only breeds remained that contained no PitBull dna/genes whatsoever.And if Anyone wanted to keep a dangerous breed like Rottweiler,German Shepherds,Dobermans,Boerbulls(a dangerous breed very popular in my country,South Africa) they would have to adhere to Stringent regulations on safety and animal containment integrity on their premises.I don't do things by half-measures,i can assure you,What i postulated was just the start.If a child got mauled by a dangerous breed,or Any dog on my watch i can guarrantee you the consequences for the owner would be such that all dog owners would swiftly adhere to sensible measures.

I have to ask you again,though,just out of curiosity(since You turned the discussion from dogs to humans) what the Hell made you think that humans who visited evil upon others-most especially the innocent,young and defenceless-would not have reason to curse the day they were born,on My watch???

So in other words, ban all big dogs. Kay. Cool story.
Lets look at this for a minute: www.dognotebook.com...
Top most aggressive small dogs:
-Manchester Terrier.
-Lhasa Apso.
-Jack Russell Terrier.
-Cocker Spanial.
-Bull Terrier (Which mind you is lumped into the Pitbull catagory, even though it's a SMALL DOG. A lot of vet clinics and breeders will actually say not to adopt this animal if you have small pets, as it will attack. WOW. And it's a small dog!)
-Beagle.
-Pekinese.
-Papillon.
-Dachshund.
-Chihuahua (THE MOST AGGRESSIVE OF ALL SMALL DOGS, apparently.)
-Shi Tzu.
-Chow Chow (Hmmm. It's a small dog and it's also on the fatality bite list.)
-Shar Pei.
-Poodle.
-Shiba Inu.
-Boston Terrier (Another one that gets lumped in with Pitbulls on occasion.)
-Skye Terrier.
-Maltese.
-Bichon Frise.
-Pomeranian.

It's absolutely true that if a small dog attacks someone, someone else can just dropkick it and the attack is over. But let me try to explain something to you. I didn't actually know that Chow-Chows were considered a 'small dog.' I've seen large ones before. But they have fatally bitten people before. They are on the fatally bite list. And Shiba Inus were used as sled dogs. Sled dogs originate from wolf hybrids. You wouldn't keep a wolf as a pet would you?

Let's look at something else. Pitbulls fall into a catagory called the Bully Breed. In this catagory there are other breeds:
-Boxers.
-American Bulldog/Bulldog.
-American Staff Terrier.
-Boston Terrier.
-Bull Terrier.
-Bull Mastiff.
-French Bulldog.
-American Pitbull Terrier.
-Great Danes.

Those are all dogs that fall into the same category because of similarities in the breed. They all get called "pitbull" from one time to another. So think about it. The Pitbull everyone knows is accounting for likely any attack by any of those dogs. These dogs used to have professional jobs. A pitbull named Stubby was the first American War Dog, that served with a platoon in Germany. He saved his people from Mustard Gas attacks, and comforted the wounded. I think that says a lot about not only just the breed in general, but also says a lot about what could be when these dogs are trained.
Bully Bias goes back to the 1980's with gangs using them as protection. These dogs did not ASK to be used in that way, but it happened then, and is continuing. These dogs, when used in that way are often neglected and trained to be aggressive. Dogs that are neglected and trained to be aggressive... Attack. It's a fight or flight sort of thing. Fight and be free, or submit and continue being neglected.

We don't know the specifics of this case. Just that the womans Pitbull was in the yard and attacked this other dog. Was this dog neglected? I live in an income based apartment complex, and a lot of people around here have pitbulls. Which they leave chained outside all day long, in the heat, rain, snow, etc. That is neglect. Dogs pick up on when they are no longer 'welcome,' or they are 'disliked.' Dogs pick up on their owners negativity. So many things can cause a dog, of any breed, and size, to attack. It takes years of love, and patience to train dogs and mold them into being creatures that can handle anything and not get aggressive.

I'm not defending the owner of the pitbull. Because she's obviously a # owner. I am defending the breed, because they only know what they are taught. Dogs are like children. My dog is my furry child (She's a pug and people ask if she's a pitbull puppy. Scares the crap out of me, because I don't want anyone to dognap her and use her for fighting.) You have to know the dynamics of a dog, it's breed, and all else. You don't just get a dog because you want a pet. You do your research first to find out what breed fits your lifestyle. If you train the dog, love the dog, understand the dog, and make it a part of your family, any dog is a loyal pet. It's not called "Mans best friend" for nothing, ya know.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I explained myself very well-i cannot help it if you don't comprehend what I said.Not being snarky,but read my post again.I don't expect you to agree with me,however I feel I did address the point-and anyone who has regularly read my posts on various matters will know that humans are even less likely than any animal to get a free pass from me.Au contraire-because they have no excuse.a reply to: Tangerine

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I thank you for your well-thought out and written reply-however I did not say one word about banning all big breeds.I simply don't know where you got that from? Perhaps you should read my post again-i did not say one word about banning all big breeds.what I did say was that dog containment would be extremely stringently enforced on my watch-and failure to do so would be extremely harshly punished,most especially if an animal or person got killed or mauled because of failure to do so.That's a very far cry from banning all big breeds.

I am a dog owner and doglover too-i own a Dane,a Labby and a Fox Terrier.I don't expect you,or anyone in particular to agree with me,but as for myself and imo,PitBulls and dogs of Pitbull heritage have a higher likelihood of acting out aggressively and attacking.Now I know there are owners who have taken great pains to train and raise their PB's and PB-related breeds with love,care and common sense-in general though,imo,I would rather let the breed become obsolete,if I had a say in the matter.a reply to: Lyxdeslic

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I thank you for your well-thought out and written reply-however I did not say one word about banning all big breeds.I simply don't know where you got that from? Perhaps you should read my post again-i did not say one word about banning all big breeds.what I did say was that dog containment would be extremely stringently enforced on my watch-and failure to do so would be extremely harshly punished,most especially if an animal or person got killed or mauled because of failure to do so.That's a very far cry from banning all big breeds.

I am a dog owner and doglover too-i own a Dane,a Labby and a Fox Terrier.I don't expect you,or anyone in particular to agree with me,but as for myself and imo,PitBulls and dogs of Pitbull heritage have a higher likelihood of acting out aggressively and attacking.Now I know there are owners who have taken great pains to train and raise their PB's and PB-related breeds with love,care and common sense-in general though,imo,I would rather let the breed become obsolete,if I had a say in the matter.a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Any big dog can attack and do damage. As much damage as a pitbull, even. Chowchows are, in my opinion, a medium sized breed and are on the fatal bite list. Shiba Inus come from wolf hybrids. I'm just trying to explain to you that anything larger than a pomeranian can attack and it can be fatal. Which you obviously don't realize. So if you want to ban Pitbulls and Pitbull types, you should want to ban all big dogs. Because an attack can be fatal. And again, 'Pitbull' is a term that people use in order to describe anything that LOOKS like a pitbull. That can be any breed that falls into the Bully catagory. So not every attack that is said to be a 'pitbull attack' is even a pitbull attack. You're letting media warp your mind. Go out and see for yourself. They wouldn't have called the pitbull the Nanny Dog if it was a dangerous dogs.

Maybe the monsters are humans. Think about it. Humans disrupt everything.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Thank you for your reply,duly noted.Thank you for the time and thought that went into it.While i still feel that PitBulls and derivatives are slightly more dangerous than many other breeds,i can certainly agree with you that any big breed attack can be fatal,and smaller dog attacks can leave nasty wounds-and yes,may be fatal to a small child.I myself will never feel comfortable around the breed,though,and will not let my children be around them either.But then,i would not let my children be around any big breed dog that we have not raised.I am one of those over-cautious people when it comes to large dogs,and especially PitBulls and derivatives.That's just me,though,and i do believe those members who find their own to be lovable and affectionate.I just would not chance having my kids play in a yard where they are-maybe the media does report more on attacks by Pitbulls and derivatives,and less on other breeds.Maybe that Has influenced how i perceive them.I may be wrong on this,but it's how i feel,and i cannot change that.Thank you again for your good replies though.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I used to feel exactly that way too. But if you get a puppy and raise it, they are utterly loyal to everything short of abuse or neglect. And even then most won't attack people. You can see that with fighting dogs that are rehabilitated.

I respect your choice, and I'm not saying you're wrong for it. The decision is up to each person. It just disgusts me seeing how demonized they are when all they've tried to do is love and please people.

This is my Pitty the day we brought our other dog home.

She routinely beats him up and pushes him around and he just takes it with the occasional yelp.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
people say blame the owners, not the dog and i agree.....most of the time it is because of the owner...

that does not change the fact that when the pitt/rott from a few houses down decides to come in my yard and get after me, im going to have a hard time........when the wiener dog from down the street comes in my yard and decides to get after me, ill probably come out on top.

certain breeds are more dangerous than others....

a dog that ways 75 pounds and is yoked is more dangerous than the dog that ways 10 pounds....

can people not see that?

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Of course people see that. But that applies to ANY large breed. When you have even the CDC lumping anything that even resembles a Pit into the Pit category then of course they're going to appear more dangerous.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Are you intentionally being obtuse? People like you are the main reason why there's so many ills in the world. You latch on to what others say without any experience of your own and chant it like some sort of inane mantra.

Give me a break!

For starters, do you know what Pit Bulls were in the old days? They were baby-sitters. Yes, you heard right. They were so gentle that owners would leave their children alone with pit bulls! (They were called "Nanny Dogs".) In fact, the majority of pit bulls make horrible guard dogs due to their overly friendly nature and aren't recommended for the job.

Did you know the German Shepard is considered to be equally as dangerous as a pit bull? Now, what does that tell you? Does it tell you that:

A) There's an epidemic of German Shepard's attacking people and pets unprovoked and just hasn't been mentioned by anyone?

Or;

B) The media likes attention, and will get it however they see fit. And in this case, a pit bull makes for a great fear starter?

I'm placing everything I own on B.

There are aggressive dogs that have been bred to be aggressive. Unfortunately, the majority of these are pit bulls due to their strength. (Their strength has NOTHING to do with aggression though.) If a Shiba Ibu was equally as strong, there's a good chance that people would be afraid of that dog instead of pit bulls today!

As long as you get a Pit Bull from a legitimate breeder, you won't have a problem. You buy one from a backyard breeder, the chances are that some of the dogs that have been bred were ex-fighting dogs and were born by other pit bulls bred to fight passing aggressive genes on to them.

So please, instead of mindlessly bobbing your head in agreement to what you hear on TV, do some critical thinking for once. (Hopefully, you're able.)

Sorry for the rant people. Now, on topic:

The idiot who is suing needs to check in with reality. She realizes that she missed an opportunity to suck some money out of some sucker and is now frantically trying to get back that missed opportunity. If it was such a big deal, she would have sued immediately, not after the fact.

I swear, "modern America" makes me sick.
edit on 23-11-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

i see what you are saying...

we can all say blame the owners, not the dogs all day...
the fact is though that the pit is one of those breeds that people take in to train to be mean...

sure, its not the dogs fault but that is of little consequence to the person that gets shredded by one.

i do understand the bans on the pits and breeds like it.....

for every person out there with a lovey dovey pit there is a person out there that trains it to be mean as hell.

looks like a situation where the breed and the 'good' owners suffer for the dirt bags that want a fighter

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It's always different when it's one own dog,i suppose-i'm glad you have a wonderful Pitty.I've no doubt that many of them will not attack,ever-and that human's have had a hand of responsiblity when it comes to the ones that do,a large hand perhaps-and yet,if i had to get a nanny dog i would use a Dane,i'm a great lover of Danes because they are so gentle-natured,eccentric and charming,while their size seem to be intimidating to would-be burglars.True gentle giants.Well,ours have always been eccentric but that only adds to their charm.Sorry that i feel this way,i cannot help it.Nice day to you.
edit on 23-11-2014 by Raxoxane because: typo's

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

No reason to apologize. I used to be incredibly nervous around any dog. Now I can't imagine not having a Pit around.

I've known people that show Danes. They're great dogs too. Pitty aren't for everyone, anymore than Danes are. As long as you give them a good home, and love, that's the important thing, no matter what breed you choose.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

They make lousy guard dogs, but when he jumps up in the window grinning at whoever is bothering us, and they jump back and go away, its worth having him.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I'd rather just meet the intruder myself, grinning at him in my birthday suit. Wonder which would freak him out more?

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

I currently drive over the road and we live on our truck. That means we get the occasional panhandler with their BS story, or....other people knocking. Since he learned how to roll the windows down so he can hang out watching people the number of knocks has dropped to almost zero, unless one of us is sitting up front.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join