It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a feminist, what is feminism, and what is a 'feminazi'? Do you know what they are?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

What is a feminist, what is feminism, and what is a 'feminazi'?

Something you hope the person your seeing or are married to never becomes one of.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

Do people believe that there are women out there who have the mission to have as many abortions as they physically can in order to gain more power, and because men are not necessary?

My introduction to modern feminism was being told, face to face, by a "feminist" on a college campus in NC that "men are now superfluous and unnecessary, due to advances in in-vitro fertilization" - so yes, I can believe it. It was intended as a gender-based insult, and that's how it was taken. In her view, all men were good for was a romp in the hay for procreation, and now our time had come to an end for even that.

I ask you the question again, are you a feminist? I know I am.

No. I believe in equality, and a two-gender existence, sans superiority or subservience for either, so I'm not a "feminist". it would be more accurate to call me a "humanist", or, even more appropriately (to avoid the religious connotations) a "Peopleist".

edit on 2014/11/16 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Attempted character assassination. That's a new low, even for you Astynax. As you know, it is the last resort for those who cannot formulate an argument. But thanks for bumping my thread.

Feminism is an ideology, and every ideology deserves criticism. Ideologies do not possess volition nor feelings, so quit pretending it needs your paltry defence.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You know Les - you've never tried to hide what you believe

Or have you?

:-)

Own it or don't, that wasn't character assassination - it was just plain old illumination

Now - back to the topic - you said earlier:

By your definition, feminism is concerned with the rights of women.

You've told us how you think feminism should be defined - according to you - a man

Without putting your druthers into the whole thing - how about giving us your definition of feminism. Straight up

I'm very curious

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Pitou

a reply to: LesMisanthrope But isn't 'equality' in general (fail English here...) about getting equal *with* something? As in: White people had certain rights and privileges black or native people didn't, and so they needed emancipation to get to the same level? You can't get more rights if you have all of them already. Sure there're civil rights issues, I don't deny that, but isn't that a whole other discussion/subject?

It is indeed. And it was once about that sort of equality.

So let's then answer this question. What rights does a man have that a woman doesn't?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Own it or don't, that wasn't character assassination - it was just plain old illumination

Except it is a lie, designed to make me look like a misogynist. You too, even?

No I completely agree with the definition of feminism as it stands. It is concerned about the rights for women. I would not change it because doing so would be a lie. But trying to pass it off as egalitarianism is a stretch of the imagination.
edit on 16-11-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I was not going to reply this, but at the same time, after seeing exactly what I've seen elsewhere, I feel I should.

I'm a father, and I have daughter as well as sons, I teach them to respect everyone, plants, and animals too, to be mindful of who they are and to take pride in that very fact. I believe in equality, I'm into the opensource movement, as well as the cryptocurrency movement, and really believe that all humans are created equal. We have enough separation and inequality as it is, that we don't need even more.

Yet, I've been attacked more by people claiming to be feminists ( an other titles ) than I have people claiming no title. I have had words turned around, statements misunderstood and basically I am judged before I even had a chance to have my words read and comprehended for what they really are, without them being nitpicked and used against me somehow.

I wonder if preconceived notions of men & women and just mindsets ( opinions ) are automatically used in a constant effort to create strife as a means to be the change an not actual change. I can understand standing up against verbal harassment, physical violence, and inequality in general. But when attempted to be hushed from the simple act of trying to spread happiness and good positive messages meant for everyone, then we have really lost point in the whole matter, and are becoming that of what we aim to fight against to change. ( I.E. - we're being the problem, and not the solution )

How is change supposed to take place, when a lack of tolerance is handed alongside the conversation?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

But trying to pass it off ass egalitarianism is a stretch of the imagination.

Is this because you think it's not so much about elevating the position of women in society - and giving her equality?

Is it more because, while attempting to bring herself out of subjugation - she had to step on some toes to do it?

Do you really feel so downtrodden and woe begotten as all that Les? Do you resent a woman's need to feel free?

Or, do you deny that women have not been free?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Is this because you think it's not so much about elevating the position of women in society - and giving her equality?

Is it more because, while attempting to bring herself out of subjugation - she had to step on some toes to do it?

Do you really feel so downtrodden and woe begotten as all that Les? Do you resent a woman's need to feel free?

No I feel quite alright actually, but thanks for the concern.

I believe it creates a bogey man, while making women out to be perpetual victims. It is, by definition, sexist.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
What rights does a man have that a woman doesn't?

In the US, men and women have equal rights. No one is saying they don't.

Equality and rights are two different things.

No I completely agree with the definition of feminism as it stands. It is concerned about the rights for women.

No, it isn't. It's concerned with the EQUALITY of women (to men).

If you are a male, you have certain privileges.

5. I am far less likely to face sexual harassment at work than my female co-workers are. (More).

7. If I’m a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are relatively low. (More).

9. If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question.

19. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether or not it has sexist overtones.

22. If I’m careless with my driving it won’t be attributed to my sex.

24. Even if I sleep with a lot of women, there is no chance that I will be seriously labeled a “slut,” nor is there any male counterpart to “slut-bashing.” (More).

25. I do not have to worry about the message my wardrobe sends about my sexual availability. (More).

30. I can be aggressive with no fear of being called a bitch.

33. My ability to make important decisions and my capability in general will never be questioned depending on what time of the month it is.

34. I will never be expected to change my name upon marriage or questioned if I don’t change my name.

44. Complete strangers generally do not walk up to me on the street and tell me to “smile.” (More: 1 2).

45. Sexual harassment on the street virtually never happens to me. I do not need to plot my movements through public space in order to avoid being sexually harassed, or to mitigate sexual harassment. (More.)

46. I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege.

edit on 11/16/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Equality and rights are two different things.

If it isn't about rights, then how are we equal?

If you are a male, you have certain privileges.

According to who?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Pitou

a reply to: LesMisanthrope But isn't 'equality' in general (fail English here...) about getting equal *with* something? As in: White people had certain rights and privileges black or native people didn't, and so they needed emancipation to get to the same level? You can't get more rights if you have all of them already. Sure there're civil rights issues, I don't deny that, but isn't that a whole other discussion/subject?

It is indeed. And it was once about that sort of equality.

So let's then answer this question. What rights does a man have that a woman doesn't?

I suppose the rights that a man has that a woman normally does not have revolves around sexual objectification. She normally is forced into sexually objectifying herself throughout much of her life, men in contrast generally do not feel that distasteful pressure; Imagine being a man in a prison.. the leaner, smaller, more petite and less powerful you are, the more likely you will be sexually objectified by other men. The male prisonmate looks at you, observes you, wishes to communicate with you.. and ultimately has expectations of you..
I wonder if I've made myself relatively clear..
edit on 16-11-2014 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Anything that seperates humanity into little compartments that are all different, is bad. You can say whatever you want, but we are all the same, love the same, and live the same lives, on the same planet. That, is the truth, of humanity. It is only selfishness that seperates oneself, from the rest of the population.

A woman's love is no different than a man's, that is common sense. Both are human. Both are the same. A realization of that will bring us all closer to what we need to be, to advance as a society, and as a race upon this planet. The human race.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

I suppose the rights that a man has that a woman normally does not have revolves around sexual objectification.
She normally is forced into sexually objectifying herself, men generally do not feel that distasteful pressure;

Careful. Women are not puppets on playstrings. No one is forcing anyone to objectify herself. However, the societal pressures are there as you point out.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

But trying to pass it off ass egalitarianism is a stretch of the imagination.

Or, do you deny that women have not been free?

In order to elevate her, she must be put above someone. So who are you putting her above?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I believe it creates a bogey man, while making women out to be perpetual victims. It is, by definition, sexist.

So, they've never had any legitimate complaints?

:-)

How is it sexist?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In order to elevate her, she must be put above someone. So who are you putting her above?

Maybe you don't understand what the word elevate means

Ketsuko - do you think women have always been free to do what they want to do - at least as free as men have been historically? Were we considered equal always - legally?

I understand, from reading your earlier post - that you see the genders as being different

Well - so do

Those differences were more pronounced not too awfully long ago. Women have obviously gone through some changes together - but we're not all of the same mind - are we?

My mom had far fewer choices or opportunities than I have today. Why is that?
edit on 11/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: family

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

So, they've never had any legitimate complaints?

Yes. The patriarchal systems of religion has denigrated women for thousands of years.

How is it sexist?

I repeat, it makes men out to be enemies, while making women out to be perpetual victims

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Feminism is ignorant. It would never exist without the violence from men. We conquer the animal kingdom, for the need to nurture, using what ever violence was necessary.

That being said, we are moving towards a world where violence is no longer asked of men in order to maintain civilization. Soldiers are used as gangsters for capitalism and police are used as gangsters for the establishment. Other than that, any sort of aggressiveness - not even violence - will land you in a data base at best or even in prison.

Feminists might be right, but they are still ignorant.

b!÷ch !

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

That was a sexist of the worst kind not a feminist, to completely devalue a gender to the point of labeling it useless... that's disgusting and as the mother of a 15 year old boy I'd like to challenge her to say that to my face.

I'm aware that she isn't alone and I'm feeling this urge to reclaim feminism from these bitches (yep, I said it) who in essence give the Rush Limbaugh's of the world legitimacy to their claims that feminism is nothing but hating on men.

There's still a need for real feminism. There is still a culture of misogyny and a resurgence of men and women who think it was better when women knew that their place was in the kitchen serving their men (fine if the woman or man wants to stay home and be domestic, there's no shame in it and there shouldn't be). We still aren't paid equally, still don't have full authority over own bodies (watch out for that bomb) and rape (not being whistled at which is uncomfortable and does make you throw your guard up because you don't know if it will go beyond that, but not rape) is still somehow the woman's fault.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join