It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a feminist, what is feminism, and what is a 'feminazi'? Do you know what they are?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: ErgoTheAbsurd
That is what is hurting so much the discussion is people want to take their situation *now* and project backward what they believe the intent was rather than trying to understand the actual mindset and intentions of the people they are criticizing.

I try to explain that the women who lived at that time were not idiots and had more of a say regarding the way. It's about modern people not understanding time periods they didn't live in and projecting their current values on them and making significant mistakes in doing so when it comes to understanding why they were behaving the way they were.

We see these behaviors in certain religions TODAY in America.

Don't tell me I don't understand.

Do you also see the part about those religions wanting to turn back the clock to treat women like they were treated back then?

Back then when?

I know about gender inequality in the 50s. Cuz I was actually there.

You miss the point by a mile. You always do.

Let me think about this. I am a woman, who grew up in the 50s.

This thread is about the meaning of feminism. I lived the evolution.

But ---- I'm missing the point. Interesting.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Annee

:-)

And because a post requires more than just a home made smiley, I guess I'll ask - from who?

Society, culture, and laws did not protect women from being bullied.

Men did.

EDIT: Yes I'm being particularly inflammatory. It's absolute bull# to believe that society has not always been interested in protecting women more than men.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Being drafted into Korea or Vietnam.

Did women ask not to be drafted?

No, that would be man who made that decision for them.

edit on 16-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Women were free to volunteer and did.

Women had a choice. Men did not.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Can I be a bigger "traitor". and request one of those girlie mixed drinks with an umbrella, instead? I'll bring snacks!

Ah, the boys' clubhouse.....*wicked grin*

An UMBRELLA? O.M.G.! Next thing, you'll be asking for fruit in it! OF course, of you're bringing the snacks, that changes things a bit... what color umbrella would you like, ma'am?

We have cigarettes hidden in the rafters, too, but don't tell ma!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Women served where and how men decided.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by Astyanax
Les Misanthrope believes feminism is a conspiracy against men.

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Attempted character assassination. That's a new low, even for you Astynax.

From LesMisanthrope's opening post in the thread I linked to earlier:

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
So what do feminists really want? What implicit ideology lies beneath the lie “we want equality”, and “death to patriarchy”? They want what every ideology wants: to assert itself in the public square, to seize power — if not in the political arena, at least in parasitic form within the minds who come across it. Preaching equality while at the same time denouncing white male privilege, which to any anti-sexist and anti-racist is a completely sexist and racist assumption, gives irony a bad name. And this is not pushed by any sort of logical or reasonable argument, but through shame tactics, propaganda, slander and outright dishonesty. Underneath the costume, underneath the faceless bogeyman known as “patriarchy”, ideologists pushing an agenda—Patriarchy as a means to matriarchy.

Slightly redacted for brevity and clarity but not altered in meaning. Emphases mine.

Characters that have already drunk from Lethe don't require assassination.

Oh, and — thank you, Spiramirabilis.

edit on 16/11/14 by Astyanax because: of gratitude.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

What a surprise - so did men!

There's some "egalitarianism" for ya!

Are you insinuating that there weren't any female officers - or are you aiming higher up the food chain?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I had occasion to come across a woman on youtube, who happens to have a interesting viewpoint on the topic.
Her name is Karen Straughan and her vblog is called "Girl writes WHAT!?"

The transcript can be found here: Transcript@her blog

Part 2:

Here main page can be found here: Karen Straughan aka Girl Writes What!?

I would love to see a reasoned argument against hers.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

What a surprise - so did men.

I knew someone would answer that.

And, of course, you know it's not the same.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: metamagic

Yet the very basis, the word feminist, is gender selective.
And that gets worse as you listen to the ideology.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
I had occasion to come across a woman on youtube, who happens to have a interesting viewpoint on the topic.
Her name is Karen Straughan and her vblog is called "Girl writes WHAT?"

One of these women was self-proclaimed “anti-feminist” Karen Straughan. Straughan is a blogger, known by her YouTube handle, GirlWritesWhat. She proudly stated in the beginning of her speech that she has been anti-feminist long before identifying as a men’s rights activist. Straughan has short, cropped hair and is involved in the LGBTQ movement. She is quick to point this out, because she doesn’t want her fellow MRAs to judge her by these qualities. She says that although she is “not a feminine-presenting person,” she is certainly not a feminist. Why? Because feminism isn’t even an equality movement.

theflounce.com...#/

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

a reply to: metamagic

Yet the very basis, the word feminist, is gender selective.
And that gets worse as you listen to the ideology.

So, you have a movement for gay rights/equality. You call it "people rights/equality"?

Of course feminism is gender selective.

It's still about equality.

edit on 16-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

link   

Wow, I couldn't have painted the picture more clearly myself. Thank you!

link   
Wow! I've read the entire thread and have enjoyed it mostly.
I've met some feminazis. They are horrible creatures. About as revolting as the male chauvinist pigs I've met.
I was raised in a matriarchal family but my role models, my parents and grandparents were partners. Women tended to things of the hearth (home) while the men tended to business matters. I was trained to tend to matters of the hearth. But I was born in 1954 and by the '60s the women in my life were all telling me that I was of the first generation of women who were truly unrestrained in the area of career choices.
I've always felt blessed to be in that situation and am ever grateful for the time, tears and grit of the women who made that possible.
Perhaps it is because my grandmother told me that nobody could treat me like a doormat if I didn't lie down in front of the door---I was always paid equal to the men in both my male-dominated career choices. I ran into a fair bit of push-back from the macho types in both professions but having grown up in a neighborhood of seven boys and me---I can take whatever is dished my way and redistribute it fairly well.
I could go with another poster's "Peopleism" but would really prefer "Partnerism" as in we, as children of the Creator can form partnerships to accomplish our goals. Not all partnerships are 50-50 propositions. How about we all look at others as potential partners in making a better community? I simply can't see how fussing and grousing about things that happened a century or more ago is furthering anyone's cause. It was not good for women who wanted to step outside the traditional role of the woman. Now the doors are open and the glass ceiling .... is at least in debate.
Thanks OP and to all who have written on this thread. I always enjoy a lively debate.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

theflounce.com...#/

You could also try listening to what she has to say and make up your own mind.
edit on 2014:11:16 by ErgoTheAbsurd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm an anti-feminist, because I desire true equality, and I see feminism as a road bump to that goal. Feminism is a flawed Ideology that comes with a built in gender bias, and an inescapable victim complex which designates man as the oppressive opposition.

I see egalitarianism as the best approach to equality because it's all inclusive, with no bias, and no sweeping generalizations are used to designate opposition. It's possible to make an argument for why women should be equal, without hysterically throwing men under the bus. I've seen too many feminists justify misandry to feel comfortable with it.
edit on Novpm11pm302014-11-16T23:22:40-06:0011America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

theflounce.com...#/

You could also try listening to what she has to say and make up your own mind.

You are assuming I don't know who this person is.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You are assuming I don't know who this person is.

I'm assuming you had to use someone else's words rather than comment yourself on whether you think she is making any worthwhile points or not.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I wonder if you could explain what this has to do with feminism? Are you saying that feminists are messing with some kind of natural order?

The natural order has already been thoroughly messed with.

A massive evolutionary change overtook our species within living memory. It was called the Pill.

It has made obsolete the formerly successful instinctive reproductive strategies of both men and women, demanding entirely new modes of relationship between the sexes. What these are, we are still in the process of working out. We may be some time at it. Feminism is part of the working-out.

Many of us — male and female, feminist and chauvinist — deplore the more extreme rhetoric and activism of radical feminism. Sometimes, yes, it is indistinguishable from chauvinism. I am reminded of the old saying, 'you become what you hate.' However, even the extremists play their role in this process, since their behaviour helps define one of the boundaries of the struggle.

Reactionary males (such as the fellow who makes a deposit of seminary fluid in a woman and then demands rights over her whole body as the return on his puny investment) will define the other boundary. Éminences grises of the patriarchy, such as the two currently posting in this thread, will help them with their spelling.

edit on 16/11/14 by Astyanax because: the link was broken.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join