It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto announced plans to sue Maui, Hawaii after voteres passed a moratorium on GMO

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have to wonder if the people who work at Monsanto have mirrors. Anywhere. How can you look at yourself?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

Last Tuesday, the voters on the Hawaiian island of Maui passed a moratorium on genetically engineered crops. The very next day, Monsanto announced plans to sue Maui to block the law from going into effect. Monsanto and its allies spent more than $8 million to convince voters to defeat the GMO moratorium and still lost. So now they’re sending an army of lawyers to overturn the will of the people.

Maui is one of the most biologically diverse places on earth -- but it's being turned into one giant, open-air biological experiment by the rampant use of GMO crops and pesticides. Monsanto, Dow, BASF, and other huge biotech companies have flocked to Hawaii because the climate allows them to plant and grow seeds that they can sell all over the world. Today, nearly 10 percent of all Hawaii's farmland is owned by just five biotech firms, including Monsanto.

That’s why Maui voters have been asking their elected officials to do something about GMOs and the heavy pesticides that go with them. But the politicians, most of them funded by Monsanto, have ignored the people. So earlier this year, they took matters into their own hands, collecting thousands of petition signatures to force the issue to be put before voters directly as a citizen referendum. Last Tuesday, the voters spoke: no GMOs on Maui.

Whatever you think about GMO crops and pesticides, it's just wrong for a corporation to use legal action to intimidate the public and override the democratic process. That's why it's so important we stand up, and stand together, whenever Monsanto tries to use these dirty tactics.

The information provided above was sent to me in an email by an organization that get's people to sign petitions to stand up for a cause (this one being Monsanto) and because that goes against T&Cs I won't link that article. I still think the message said within is very important.

I did, however, find a news article that talks about this.
Monsanto strikes back after Maui voters support GMO moratorium

Monsanto has been going on a suing spree and going after any state that tries to oppose them or passes a law that requires GMO labels.

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Four national organizations whose members would be affected by Vermont's new labeling law for genetically engineered foods filed a lawsuit Thursday in federal court challenging the measure's constitutionality.

"Vermont's mandatory GMO labeling law — Act 120 — is a costly and misguided measure that will set the nation on a path toward a 50-state patchwork of GMO labeling policies that do nothing to advance the health and safety of consumers," the Grocery Manufacturers Association said in a statement about the lawsuit.

The state Legislature passed the labeling law in April, and Gov. Peter Shumlin signed the bill in May. The labeling requirements would take effect July 1, 2016.

Lawsuit challenges Vermont's GMO labeling law

Looks like even the U.S Supreme court is in bed with Monsanto:

The US Supreme Court upheld biotech giant Monsanto’s claims on genetically-engineered seed patents and the company’s ability to sue farmers whose fields are inadvertently contaminated with Monsanto materials.

Supreme Court hands Monsanto victory over farmers on GMO seed patents, ability to sue

I don't believe that Monsanto should be able to sue Hawaii. The people there have spoken and the new law shouldn't be turned over.
However, I noticed your comment about deadly pesticides in GMO plants and if this is the specific reason why the law got passed, I think Monosato may have a case. There are just as many, if not more, toxic pesticides used in organic farming as in GMO farming. In fact, some are considered more toxic than GMO. The only difference is Organic uses Organic based pesticides.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: Sabiduria

I don't understand how Monsanto has the right to sue Maui. If they do not want GMO there they should have a right to say no and not be challenged. Just because the feds allow it doesn't mean that every state or county has to allow it. The rights of the states are supposed to supersede the Feds on an issue like this. If a county wants to ban the import of any unnatural invasive species they should be allowed to do so. Since Monsanto's products disrupt the environment by cross pollination, they are an invasive species

Howdy - corporations do have the right - it is what these 'free trade' agreements are all about. Look into NAFTA.

Many parts of Europe aren't allowing Monsanto's seeds or products in their country and Monsanto can't do anything about it. Same with China. Now why do the taxpayers of the USA have to be worried about a corporation suing us? The ones making these laws need to be replaced along with the laws themselves. We do not need Monsanto's seeds unless we use Monsanto's roundup. The roundup has been proven not to be completely safe for consumers anyway. Also the roundup is loosing it's effectiveness.

Yes, Europe has banned some GMO's, but since then they have been forced to import those foods since they cannot produce the amount they need. Importing these food mean the foods now cost more.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: snypwsd

So whats the point of having democracy if corporations will just overturn your vote...
F monsanto!

With a genetically modified pineapple.

The GM pineapple is apparently mightier than the sword or the pen.

Certain corporation board members ought to be carefully of threatening entire countries IMO...Humans are so flimsy and easily damaged, even with a circle of security muppets in tow.

I'm amazed Terrorists haven't targeted certain high profile corps yet, considering they are bringing so much hope and joy and food stability to us filthy infidels, i would have imagined those bringing such benefits to the world would have been the first to go...ironic really.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is fascism in action. I really can't believe at this point that monsanto hasn't been over run by angry people wielding pitchforks and torches or rifles would be even better. You see this is why "gun control" is so important to the fascists that have usurped our government. It will eventually reach a point when the people will refuse to put up with this anymore and since our armed forces are too busy fighting over seas for corporate fascist interests it will be up to the citizens to reclaim their freedom. This of course will be much more difficult with only rocks and sticks.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: johnnyBgood

This is fascism in action.

Actually, it's the legal system in action.
Do you think it's fascism for those in favor of the moratorium to sue the county too?
edit on 11/17/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Welcome to the future.
corporations!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I have to give you credit Phage, there is no better person to defend Monsanto than you, the wizard of spin. What should we expect though, you also believe that we should all be force medicated with fluoride in the tap water.

Because at low levels fluoride is not toxic.
Because fluoride in drinking water does improve dental health.

Sure Phage sure, on topic though why would a small farmer want to buy seed that cannot be reused, as opposed to having free reusable seed from traditional practices? Monsanto's seed benefits large agriculture companies who have taken over the farming industry, it allows them to have massive growing operations without the human tlc that crops need. Small farmers don't need gmo seed because they can tend to their crops, the way it's been done for thousands of years.

Folks, Monsanto is just a symptom of the problem. This is but just a tentacle of the globalization agenda and until we take our power back, and take our food back these issues will only get worse.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Psychology is a tricky thing. Often times to achieve good or bad you have to convince a person they are doing something right, it's not ideal, but it's just how the world is - Even a moral politician (pft) has to lie to achieve good things.... "sorting out the facts" seems to push people more towards the type of thinking the facts represent - if they will believe them...in this case arguing until we are red in the face about cases for/against Monsanto and demonizing the misinformation of the cases against Monsanto may, in a way, cause people not to see Monsanto for the devil it is.

Example - Zach galifianakis aired on TV with Obama and joked about things such as the ACA website, Obama's birth certificate, and the like - Painting such things as jokes, things to laugh at seems to take the tension off of the problem at hand - ACA is an illegal tax, and Obama may or may not be a legal citizen of the USA.

My point is... Good guys and bad guys manipulate, and that can be done in many ways.

Phage - You act like a speaker of truth, like someone that only uses facts and what not but every single one of your facts I've read so far seems to take pressure off of Monsanto - If you were really someone who cared about truth, and right, you'd have something to say on both sides of the argument, you'd agree with or present facts that say GMO's have been found dangerous, bad, that we as a people deserve for everything to be labeled, etc...and also correct people on things that are incorrect when attacking Monsanto, but you don't, you only seem to only be presenting facts that benefit the devil.

(Edit) I really don't care if people can't find official paperwork/sites for these cases, I hardly believe the government tells us any truth anyways, so I choose to believe plenty of bad things about Monsanto are being hidden. I'm not saying I'm 100% true, correct, and right, but I'm not going to act like it either.

edit on 17-11-2014 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

For the record - I'm not saying people need to be manipulated into thinking Monsanto is bad, they simply are and one day people will figure that out one way or another. I know some people will come up with false things furthering the cause of painting Monsanto as bad,but I'm not advocating for it. I'm only saying one sided facts seem like a form of manipulation to me, it's choosing what truth to reveal, rather than simply caring about truth.
edit on 17-11-2014 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I will concede that it is a fascist "legal system" in action which is much different then a system of justice.

You seem to be under the impression that fascism is when the people get to have a say in what happens in their lands.

The people suing the county or a corporation for unjustly imposing their will on the people is the opposite of fascism. Oh, wait isn't there a law that prevents people from suing monsanto over certain issues? No that's not fascist at all is it?

I suppose you believe that a law preventing monsanto from suing voters is also fascist. Too bad that our fascist gov will never pass such a law even if 100% of the people of the US and Puerto Rico voted for it. Why not throw in Mexico and Canada too just for good measure? It still wouldn't matter.

The corps and banks are running the show now and will do whatever they please as long as no one takes a stand against them, and I don't mean a stand in a rigged fascist "legal system".

edit on 17-11-2014 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tide88

No it's not just because of the toxins, it's because it is also harmful to their ecological system.

From my main OP:

Maui is one of the most biologically diverse places on earth -- but it's being turned into one giant, open-air biological experiment by the rampant use of GMO crops and pesticides. Monsanto, Dow, BASF, and other huge biotech companies have flocked to Hawaii because the climate allows them to plant and grow seeds that they can sell all over the world. Today, nearly 10 percent of all Hawaii's farmland is owned by just five biotech firms, including Monsanto.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tide88

This is where Aquaponic Food Farms comes in.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Forget Terrorists, Activists have gone and burned/destroyed GMO crops

On the night of June 8 this year, vandals broke into a field of genetically engineered sugar beets in Oregon owned by Syngenta, a Swiss company, and destroyed about 1,000 plants. Then three days later, a second such incident occurred, this time destroying about 5,500 plants. Federal investigators are seeking information about these incidents, and Oregonians for Food & Shelter have offered a reward of $10,000 for any information that leads to the arrest of the individuals responsible for these acts of vandalism.

GMO crops vandalized

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Perhaps these links are pertinent to the direction this thread is going:

Monsanto hired mercenary groups to infiltrate anti-GMO groups

Monsanto and Blackwater Ops

From 2010

Internal company documents show Monsanto paid a Blackwater entity (Total Intelligence) over $200,000 to scan "activist blogs and websites", and suggest the issue of infiltration also arose.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: johnnyBgood

Oh, wait isn't there a law that prevents people from suing monsanto over certain issues?
No. There isn't. Anyone can sue Monsanto for anything they want to.

I suppose you believe that a law preventing monsanto from suing voters is also fascist.
There are laws which protect intellectual property. Yes. If someone, voter or not, violates Monsanto's (or any one else's) patent rights they are subject to being sued.

But if you are talking about Maui, no. Monsanto did not sue any voters on Maui. Like those who were in favor of the moratorium, Monsanto (with others) sued Maui county. It is the the right of those who were in favor of the moratorium as well as the right of those opposed to it to bring the matter to courts.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the legal system. It's the same system that gave blacks and women the right to vote. It wasn't majority rule that did that.

edit on 11/18/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Perhaps these links are pertinent to the direction this thread is going:

Yes, because of things like this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

No it's not just because of the toxins, it's because it is also harmful to their ecological system.

You have evidence of this? If so you should present it because it would be helpful to those in favor of the moratorium.
Of course, you would have to demonstrate that it is more harmful than any other forms of agriculture. Like "traditional" sugar and pineapple. Those, btw, are not particularly ecosystem friendly.

Ever been to Maui? I lived there for more than 10 years. The central valley (the main agricultural area) is nothing but sugar cane fields. At least it was. Now most of it is fallow. Not a lot of biodiversity there after the sugar and pineapple companies were done with it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Of course, you would have to demonstrate that it is more harmful than any other forms of agriculture.

again another part of the problem....traditional farming/agriculture is destructive enough as it is...GMO's just take it to an all new level of bad

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

GMO's just take it to an all new level of bad

I don't know. Ever hear of heptachlor? Bad stuff.

May 17th, 1982: Pesticide Maui Milk Recalled
Heptachlor, that nasty pesticide that Maui Cane & Pineapple used for years on its pineapple fields, gets into cattle feed, and the milk the cows produced, poisoned the milk supply on Oahu. All Maui milk was pulled off shelves, and residents were told to destroy all containers in their homes.The use of Heptachlor was fully discontinued by 1987 and no poisoned feed was served to bovines thereafter on Maui.
mauialmanac.com...

How about arsenic and dioxins? Bad stuff. Really, really bad.
www.hawaiidoh.org...

That "traditional agriculture" destroyed the ecology of thousands of acres by clearing the land, then poisoned that land. What do GM crops do? The ecology is long gone and was long before there was such a thing as GM. You really think that glyphosate is worse than heptachlor? Worse than arsenic? Worse than dioxins?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

GMO's just take it to an all new level of bad

I don't know. Ever hear of heptachlor?

May 17th, 1982: Pesticide Maui Milk Recalled
Heptachlor, that nasty pesticide that Maui Cane & Pineapple used for years on its pineapple fields, gets into cattle feed, and the milk the cows produced, poisoned the milk supply on Oahu. All Maui milk was pulled off shelves, and residents were told to destroy all containers in their homes.The use of Heptachlor was fully discontinued by 1987 and no poisoned feed was served to bovines thereafter on Maui.
mauialmanac.com...

well i have now ...and it sounds pretty damn awful,like i said traditional farming is destructive.......but to start incorporating pesticides into the plants themselves like in GMO seems to me as just another short cut...and the health risks are just too high.....

personally i boil down rhubarb leaves and use it as a pesticide and it works very well....but i have a small scale veggie garden maybe 100 squared meters......so not likely a practical solution for a large scale operation ....

i do believe permaculture/aquaculture systems should be implemented,this would reduce a lot of reliance on pesticides and herbicides.....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join