It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aliens? Mysteries of the Salamanca Cathedral Astronaut Carving Revealed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I have an old ATS thread on space travel in ancient times if you are interested:

ATS: Ancient space travel

-MM

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ridhya , thanks for the clarification, though it makes little difference in the underlying point.

I personally like the ancient astronaut theory more than creation myths/stories because it is way more plausible than flying spaghetti monsters. I don't think we need to try and find evidence in everything, even if something is proven true people still wont believe it out of cognitive dissonance... so what would really change?

There's still people arguing the earth is flat and a host of other things that are really moot when it comes to actually living, unless you cannot find a purpose to fulfill yourself with then it matters I suppose. Conjecture in the face of fact will never go away in the foreseeable future... and if it did then then what would we do with this uncovered fact? Just try to push yet more ideologies on people on how to live, think, and feel other than how they probably really want too.

Big Bang/primordial soup, God(s), or Aliens as a verified factual reason for being would make zero difference to me, unless it restricted my personal freedom. I don't believe in god... yet, I am still subjected to illegal moralistic blue laws because there are people that believe Sunday is special and managed to circumvent separation of church and state.

I guess I'm just not the sort to live life on my knees, if a god jumped down from nowhere saying "I created everything" and everyone could see this god and it said "kneel down". Well... let's just say I've got two middle fingers ready for em.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness
You're right that it doesnt matter until it applies personally to your life, but you're more the exception than the rule. In general, people require cut and dry answers, certainties, because they are comforting.

It doesnt matter whether those answers are religious or alien or new age answers, they will accept them.

But the ancient aliens theory is a bathtub that holds no water. There hasnt been the slightest shred of evidence that aliens exist let alone in ancient times, and all the evidence that human beings used ingenuity consistently since our beginning. The amount of lying and conjecture that aliens theorists use is no less than that of religious cults. They outright lie on the tv show ancient aliens to prove their point, and never once interview people with scientific or anthropological counterpoints. Only propaganda shows just one point of view!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

People need some sort of magic to make life less matter of fact and droll I suppose. The problem of course, is taking this "magic" for truth instead of the belief it is. And when people take a belief as a truth; it causes an ideology, and when people have ideologies that give them some sense purpose, they will fight tooth and nail to keep their ideology or push this ideology onto others. With understanding that these ideologies are based in belief, and not to be taken so seriously as to harm another with them, then we could all live together... in a world of countless ideologies, in more peaceful and accepting conditions than we currently have.

My ideology is put put all ideologies into proper perspective. An ideologies root is based in an idea, and if this idea is appealing it becomes an ideal. I would hope after a certain age people would realize that ideals are problematic and complicate life way more than need be, the irony is that my ideal is also an ideal and not plain common sense.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

You make a very powerful point and statement here, if we were only to go on what we know as fact though then 99% of our culture and identity would suddenly be void and our society may then no longer function, people need belief.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Very well put, and unfortunate that we dont live in that rational world... the problem is that disillusioned people are far more likely to accept any belief they come across next!

One of my favourite psychological warfare quotes:

When you lose your faith, you dont believe in nothing; you'll believe in anything!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Why is that a favorite quote if you don't mind me asking? What does it mean to you?

The reason I ask, is I have no faith in anything as I hold no rigid belief system, all I know is my own experiences and those of people that have shared theirs in a variety of means and my ponderances of all of it are ever changing, latch onto one that does not work and you stagnate and rust. If something works it works, if something more rational and logical comes along to serve more people in understanding and tolerance than just serving myself like most, then I will favor it over the previous one, that was more discriminatory and oppressive in nature to everyone on the whole. If I believed ideologies and had faith in one as a one size fits all, then I will be predisposed to hate and discrimination of people I've never even met that hold a different one, based on ignorant stereotypes.

Sad thing is, I used to ignorantly do that like quite a few people until I knew better. Just because my ignorance had been validated by 1000's and 1000's of others as acceptable... it became moot, ignorance is still ignorance no matter how many fans it has.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Ho ho, this old thing. They started building that cathedral in the 16th century it isn't remotely ancient....... I'm always puzzled why people would even consider this a possibility.

Anyway others have noted correctly that it is a modern addition.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Because its poignant and absolutely true!

Its good that you dont have beliefs, but dont buy into the ancient aliens stuff either. None of it holds water. Its just as much if not more belief than religion

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

People need some sort of magic to make life less matter of fact and droll I suppose. The problem of course, is taking this "magic" for truth instead of the belief it is. And when people take a belief as a truth; it causes an ideology, and when people have ideologies that give them some sense purpose, they will fight tooth and nail to keep their ideology or push this ideology onto others.

That's a very good point, but why is the Ancient Alien theory any different to that? There is absolutely no proof, arguably even less proof of such things (taking into account we look at works of art with a 20th/21st century pair of eyes rather than the concept in which they may have originated), yet some people believe it's more likely.

I guess the only real difference is that up until now, believers in Ancient Alien theory haven't banded together to start wars in the name of their belief.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join