It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman May Have Contracted HIV from Manicure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This kind of surprised me but not completely.
Just never thought that could have been a way of transmission, weird.

www.yahoo.com...

she’d never had sex, a blood transfusion or surgery, or gotten a piercing or tattoo. Doctors were befuddled as to how she had contracted the virus. After confirming her claims, her doctors dug deeper, searching for any incident that could have infected her. The only possibility: The patient recalled sharing manicure instruments 10 years prior with her cousin, a manicurist who was later diagnosed with HIV.

Awesome memory recall too.
edit on 11/14/2014 by TheSilverGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Wow, I don't doubt it though. Those manicures and pedicures are very unhygienic. I had my first one done last year for a wedding. That place was clean. Expensive though. My daughter took me to a "cheaper" place after that. Not that how much one spends has anything to do with it. However I noticed instruments and polishes looked old and well used. I was turned off. The foot bath thing wasn't clean. Clean would be bleaching it out after each use, in my opinion. Towells should be bleached. I quite frankly didn't like them using polish that had been brushed on other peoples feet. I would rather be offered to purchase a new one of my own to take home afterwards. I wouldn't use somebody else's toothbrush! I did not see them soaking the instruments in formeldahyde to cleanse sfter each use. The people sitting beside me looked filthy. I call black soles of feet filthy. They were sanding dead skin off the filthy women's feet, it was flying around. The whole experience was gross to me. It was so cheap, it attracted more customers and rushing around. That's just how it is. Although it can happen at any salon. It's a breeding ground of germs in those nail salons. Moreso if they are also doing piercings.

With all the sending, clipping, cutting and digging, blood is bound to be present and potentially passed on to others.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I can totally see how this would happen, I have been cut numerous times by people doing manicures or my nails, my friend got cut with a razor that they do pedicures with and they sliced all the back of her foot open, if you have the tiniest bit of broken skin and they file away at it its going to bleed, even if its not a large amount, fluid and blood will still more than likely come out of it and if they are lazy and don't sterilise the stuff before their next client especially things like nail files which I rarely see sterilised then the risk for contaminating someone else is high, that's how so many women get random nail infections etc too its grosse! I only go to reputable places not cheap little dingy places if I don't do it myself, which I usually do anyway..

Poor woman that would be horrible

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I've never understood the appeal of pedicures and manicures. Paying someone to fiddle with your feet and hands? Artificial nails? Nail polish in weird colors? Seriously? The only time it makes sense is if it's a medical procedure.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Comme on now, she had sex with her cousin, it's that simple.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I've never had a manicure or pedicure. I don't see the draw for them. And I don't understand paying someone a bunch of money to do my toe nails when I'm just going to shove them into my sneakers anyways. I find painted toe nails to be ugly and 'cheap'. I've even seen people get those extensions put on their toe nails ... what are they called ... French ends? Something like that?

Just clip your own nails at home and buy a $3 bottle of polish if you think you need it. (I don't wear polish either).

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
An interesting article, although I'm not sure how she can medically prove that she's been celibate for ten years, and people can have very selective memories when it comes to sex.

Perhaps she's avoiding a Jerry Springer type scenario by not admitting that she stole her cousin's man in the past.

However, I've never had a manicure and didn't know there was blood involved, so with a confluence of circumstances (both the manicurist and the customer having open cuts, or bloody equipment) it could be possible, and people do hit small and unlikely odds with HIV every day, even if surgical and cosmetic procedures don't really drive the epidemic.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSilverGate

i see it as being totally possible she got it from the nail salon....
has she not been to the dentist in 22 years?
thats another possibility.....

22 years old and never had sex......i doubt that
i know that is possible too but it does not happen too often these days unless your daddy is jim bob dugger
edit on 15-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

If She were indeed a Duggar, by the time She turned 22 She would have 5 kids and Her 'own' t.v. show.. Oh and wearing a skirt of some sort...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

If She were indeed a Duggar, by the time She turned 22 She would have 5 kids and Her 'own' t.v. show.. Oh and wearing a skirt of some sort...

wurd.
off topic but threads evolve. to each is own...more power to them..theyre not hurting anyone....that said, theyre strange people.
the daughter that just got married kissed her husband for the first time on the wedding day. no hugging up to that point. chaperones on dates.....parents getting copies of texts and such....

they can do what they want. i will defend that right but i have the right to think they are insane.

back to this girl.....

22 years old and never had relations? i wonder what part of brazil...lots of beaches and scantly clad ladies and dudes all tanned up with no shirts on.....not the most conducive environment for virginity.....
in some parts anyway......

either way, seems perfectly plausible that she could get it from a nail salon....i can see how she could get tainted blood on her person....

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I was 19 when i had sex for the first time. The only reason i even did it then was because I was in love, and have since married the same person. Had I not met my wife when I was 19 I would still be a virgin now at 21 (almost 22). I had turned down many women ( I was muscular and wore a high and tight like it was going out of style) because I wanted it to be special and with somebody who would mean something to me.

Case in point, youn could stay a virgin until 22. I know you acknowledged that but I just wanted to show you how reasonable it could be.

new topics

top topics

join