It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you step in . Domestic violence apathy .

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
www.9news.com.au...

Sadly this experiment does not surprise me . But the question i have to ask is would you step in to help . Or for that matter would i , i would like to think so . However stepping in goes against everything i have been taught over the years . The first thing you are taught in both first aid and the rescue techniques i get trained in is look for danger . Rushing in and being a second victim is of no use to anyone . Sure if it is a little person who appears not to be armed then yes you could try to take them down but will you then be facing the victim and the attacker . Or do you ring the police when you are safely outside and can see the floor the lift stops . What would you actions be ATSers .

Oh ,someone actually says can you wait till i get out to do that. Scary times

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I would and I have. On several occasions actually. I remember one time my ex and a few friends and I were drinking and playing Magic the Gathering in our apartment when we heard the neighbors fighting so we went out on the porch. Shortly afterward they neighbors came out and, long story short, I had to pull my friend off the guy before he killed our neighbors boyfriend.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Had that been in America, the people would have video taped it and put it on FB without giving a second thought to helping or calling 911

At least in Sweden they admitted they felt ashamed and were glad it wasn't real

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Hate to say it, remember it or otherwise, but I was a victim of domestic violence and had a very nasty divorce that took four years, and several arrests and peace bonds on my ex. Sadly, as I experienced violence on a sidewalk in an urban environ with grown men I lived in the neighborhood with, standing there watching, arms folded……

Would I? As a petite woman, step in….hell, yes.
tetra

ETA: As I thought about it, I actually have stepped in, twice in my life, and actively gotten the attention of police to such a situation, to stop battering going on in the street right in front of me. One time the woman was horrified the man who had just nailed her with a punch was going to jail….oh well. Still gotta keep trying.
edit on 14-11-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

When I was 18 I had an apartment in a ghetto neighborhood in Florida. Actually it was a studio apartment in a building with like 10-15 others. Well there was two couple who lived right next to me who would stay up at night screaming at each other and obviously some crazy stuff went down pretty often. One of them was a hooker who worked the corner at night. Well I nevEr did a thing. Probably good thing I didn't either because I probably would have got shot.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Yes i get what you are saying but the point i was trying to make is that occasionally stepping in can get you killed .

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

Petite women with attitude can be very intimidating .My wife is a case in point .

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Would you step in 

Yes I have and yes I will.

As for snarky's post unfortunately he is right.
People will capitalize on a situation for likes or favs on faceborg or metube.
Its a sad world we live in now, helping your neighbor or someone in destress is old fasion to much going on at the kardashians to worried with real people.

I can't wait till the next season of dancing with the zarrs or American idiot, I'm of to vine with my BFF

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This does not surprise me even the slightest!!!

If I see it happening I do something, even if the only thing I can do is call the cops, there's no way I can turn away from a woman being abused, I had too call the police one time for a neighbour who I could hear screaming and a guy going totally mental at her hurting her and then after the cops had left I could hear him yelling out about someone calling the cops, I was only 17 at the time and I had a baby so I couldn't exactly do anything myself, if it happened now and he looked like i could take him on id grab my trusty baseball bat and step in though, only cowards do that kind of $#!^ to women. Understandably though sometimes intervention makes it worse for the woman involved and she receives it even worse later on because of it and they won't leave, which is sad so in some cases your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Petite women with attitude can be very intimidating .My wife is a case in point .

LOL. It's like short people, small animals…..we all have to develop that attitude in life, so it doesn't run us over due to size….

link   

Truth is I am going to stay out of it and either find the facilities security or call in the cops on it. The truth of it is you don't want to involve yourself in a domestic dispute. Cops hate getting called in on DV cases because they know the painful truth when you get involved in these situations you do not know what can of worms you are opening. Frequently the victim will jump in on you and defend their own attacker. My husband and I were at a wedding once and a couple got into a pretty good drunken fight. My husband the awesome man he is tried to break it up turned his back to the woman trying to calm her date down and got a stiletto heel and 10 stitches to the head for being the peace maker.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Haha that is SO true ! im 5ft JUST lol and I have developed that attitude as well over the years.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50

LOL. It's like short people, small animals…..we all have to develop that attitude in life, so it doesn't run us over due to size….

My mum is short, I can attest to the validity of this statement as that women sets the standard for not to be f###ed with! Essentially you are the chihuahua barking madly at the great dane.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The woman should leave for good before it even gets to the point of violence, the fact that they haven`t left already usually means they probably won`t leave so anything you do by stepping in will be a waste of time and will most likely make you the bad guy.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

A good example of what i was trying to say about stepping in . I was not saying don't call the police in my OP . I can only imagine how you would feel if you did not do anything only to find out later the person had been killed later that night .

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: KeliOnyx

A good example of what i was trying to say about stepping in . I was not saying don't call the police in my OP . I can only imagine how you would feel if you did not do anything only to find out later the person had been killed later that night .

This is exactly my point with you gotta keep trying, no matter what the response from either party. You just never know. It could go a variety of ways, none of them the same. You just don't know. But you have to err on the side of safety, keeping your humanity, and giving the parties involved a chance at preserving theirs, if they are like minded.
Regardless, as you just pointed out, to do nothing and find out someone got killed would be absolutely horrible….

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Probably not. Never seems to end well. Last time I stepped in between a man and women going at it starting to get physical, they both attacked me. So I ended up having to shove the chick onto her ass and then fight off a dude. And I was the bad guy that got banned from that bar. Lesson learned I guess.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

That was what I was trying to convey in a cryptic kind of way. People (painting with a big brush I know) are only concerned with their own out come and not the victim(s).

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Unfortunately i don't think there is a right answer to whether you should step in . The 6 foot bloke that is ex army the right answer might be to step in . The 5 foot six bank clerk whose daily exorcise is licking stamps the answer might be to stay out of it then ringing the police .

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

That is true, I've never had that problem because I am a 6'+ Army bloke.

As for calling the LEO's that is stepping in and your not letting your fellow human being be fed to the wolves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join