It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Pursuit Of Genuine Spirituality

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TM62

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Question everything, especially the people who claim to have the answers. Question yourself, even your most primal and instinctual ideas and beliefs. Never look to the outside for truth; there are too many liars and deluded fools in the world. Cast aside any dogma and doctrine and look inside, then question anything you find there as well.

Even then, have you really found the 'truth'?

Just because something 'resonates' with you, doesn't mean it's the truth, a bitter pill for many religious/spiritually minded people.

I've been in your shoes. Start asking yourself why you need something to believe in and work from there. Your answer may be different than the dynamic conclusions I came to.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
I have basically tried to trick myself into taking them seriously, because of my belief that there IS an actuality to 'spirituality.' But really I float between ideologies easily, because I am really detached from them all.

...I want the spirituality I find to be genuine.

Again, the key is belief. If you are truly able to manipulate your subconscious beliefs, then you hold a subjective power no one can take away from you. You may never be able to find any spirituality that is genuine, but the power of belief may surprise you. Use your detachment and ability to interchange your belief systems to your advantage. Use them when needed, discard them when you aren't feeling it.
edit on 15-11-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Thank you for posting these!

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

If it is to be genuine then it is to be true and for it to be true it must be self-evident, therefore the realization of truth is dependent upon investigating all evidences of a self. This is called self-inquiry.

To correctly inquire into the self is to not view the self as an individual being but as an accumulation of faculties by which the "I am" is perceived. These faculties are 6 in appearance, each of which constitute a 3-fold nature. These faculties are realized by thorough contemplation upon that which constitutes the perception and realization of self existince and are attributed as follows;

The faculty of sight and its 3 qualities; pleasant seeing, unpleasant seeing, and undifferentiated seeing from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of hearing and its 3 qualities; pleasant sound, unpleasant sound, and undifferentiated sound from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of scent and its 3 qualities; pleasant smell, unpleasant smell, and undifferentiated smell from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of touch and its 3 qualities; pleasant sensation, unpleasant sensation, and undifferentiated sensation from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of taste and its 3 qualities; pleasant taste, unpleasant taste, and undifferentiated taste from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of mind and its 3 qualities; pleasant thought, unpleasant thought, and undifferentiated thought from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

Once an individual has thoroughly investigated and realized these constituents as the foundation of ones very existence he must then inquire further by seeking the "I" self within each of the 6 faculties as follows;

Is my eye sight my true self? If my eye sight is who I really am then how am I aware when I am not seeing? A man born blind will never know sight and yet he still exists as a self, therefore it is true that without sight a self still remains. This is relevant for all 6 faculties and can be proven by self-inquiry and application of principle.

If the self is the sight then the awareness of no-sight would not be present. If the self is the mind then the awareness of no-thought or silent mind would not be possible nor would sleep be refreshing, yet we are aware when we wake up by thinking "I slept good" or "I slept bad."

At this level of realization no further teachings are communicable for at this stage the individual has such realized the non-self of mind and body that he becomes aware of the existence and ineffability of the self which through its immortality gives birth to mortality and through its non-form gives birth to form.

Isn't it so?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: EviLCHiMP

If it is to be genuine then it is to be true and for it to be true it must be self-evident, therefore the realization of truth is dependent upon investigating all evidences of a self. This is called self-inquiry.

To correctly inquire into the self is to not view the self as an individual being but as an accumulation of faculties by which the "I am" is perceived. These faculties are 6 in appearance, each of which constitute a 3-fold nature. These faculties are realized by thorough contemplation upon that which constitutes the perception and realization of self existince and are attributed as follows;

The faculty of sight and its 3 qualities; pleasant seeing, unpleasant seeing, and undifferentiated seeing from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of hearing and its 3 qualities; pleasant sound, unpleasant sound, and undifferentiated sound from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of scent and its 3 qualities; pleasant smell, unpleasant smell, and undifferentiated smell from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of touch and its 3 qualities; pleasant sensation, unpleasant sensation, and undifferentiated sensation from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of taste and its 3 qualities; pleasant taste, unpleasant taste, and undifferentiated taste from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

The faculty of mind and its 3 qualities; pleasant thought, unpleasant thought, and undifferentiated thought from which the appearance of pleasant and unpleasant arise.

Once an individual has thoroughly investigated and realized these constituents as the foundation of ones very existence he must then inquire further by seeking the "I" self within each of the 6 faculties as follows;

Is my eye sight my true self? If my eye sight is who I really am then how am I aware when I am not seeing? A man born blind will never know sight and yet he still exists as a self, therefore it is true that without sight a self still remains. This is relevant for all 6 faculties and can be proven by self-inquiry and application of principle.

If the self is the sight then the awareness of no-sight would not be present. If the self is the mind then the awareness of no-thought or silent mind would not be possible nor would sleep be refreshing, yet we are aware when we wake up by thinking "I slept good" or "I slept bad."

At this level of realization no further teachings are communicable for at this stage the individual has such realized the non-self of mind and body that he becomes aware of the existence and ineffability of the self which through its immortality gives birth to mortality and through its non-form gives birth to form.

Isn't it so?

I would like to know more please! Could you site your information or are these your thoughts? TY

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

All spirituality( phenomena) is but a bridge to the real, the Sufis teach

The path is for the brave, the Shaman teach

Buddha in the end told his disciples to work out their salvation

Jesus’ message was of sacrifice to gain truth

Muhammad’s was that to “know thyself then you will know your lord”

Vedanta’s message is that there are numerous methodologies to truth

My message is to never stop knocking at the door

Who am I? a creature from the earth

Blessings and success

edit on 15-11-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
btw none of this is advice

On another level I would like to say sometimes people mix spirituality with their lives and also mix “spirituality” with the search for truth. Sometimes these are two different things.

The search for truth is not necessarily “spiritual”

Though spiritual methodologies are utilized

God or truth imo does not cater to our personal lives or whims
Learn to separate the two

Unless you want to be on the level of a Buddha who was so immersed in truth that he could merge his life with that search… that’s a rare person

Truth never bends its wings to anyone’s personal feelings so to search for it one must understand that it is independent from you yet as close to you as anything.

In other words I have found that truth is one thing and our lives are another.

It is us who are ultimately obligated to integrate with it.
The Sufis call this baqāʾ (“subsistence”) of God
Comes after FANA (annihilation)

Again

Blessings and success

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Your previous posts have smacked of an orderly, logical and immaculate cast of mind. I have enjoyed this about you, but maybe this is your problem. A love of clarity. A fear of loss of clarity. A fear of loss of control. The truth is much more simple and absolutely uncontained.

Unfortunately, you already know these catchphrases and concepts and they really mean nothing to you now. The fact is you need do nothing, it will find you. The truth that you can seek is not the truth.

Furthermore, I'm sort of in the same boat as you (or maybe projecting my issues on you) and am not really claiming direct knowledge so take it for what its worth.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I also believe that truth can be found, at least in part, in many if not all systems.

Don't forget that the MSM also contains some truth as well.

I still won't touch it with a ten foot pole simply because of the hidden agenda behind it.

The same thing applies to the "systems" you referred to,

Yes, they do contain some truth but they also have a hidden agenda as well.

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Good disinfo agents ALWAYS mix good info in with bad info.

This has always been the disinformation modus operandi.

10% truth, 20% probability, 20% possibility and 50% lies...

In order for rat poison to be effective, it must look, taste, and smell just like the real thing.

In order to be effective, any disinformation operation MUST contain elements of truth.

A couple of recent posts that also relate to this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Know this ..

No matter what, What you are feeling, May differ than what we feel, or i Feel , that plant or tree... the rock or anything at that matter.. Its your Perspective... and it will guide you.

Spirituality is your own Art... and how you morph your Art - Is all up to you...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: fc487
Your previous posts have smacked of an orderly, logical and immaculate cast of mind. I have enjoyed this about you, but maybe this is your problem. A love of clarity. A fear of loss of clarity. A fear of loss of control. The truth is much more simple and absolutely uncontained.

Unfortunately, you already know these catchphrases and concepts and they really mean nothing to you now. The fact is you need do nothing, it will find you. The truth that you can seek is not the truth.

Thank you for the compliment. And you may be right, in terms of me liking to have things straight in my mind, and wanting to think them through in that way, can distract from the actual experience of it. If I am understanding you correctly. Also, the part about already knowing the catchphrases and concepts that they mean nothing to me now sums up how I've been feeling very well. It's like it's something more existential, due to the fact that the catchphrases and concepts that I'm already familiar with don't have the same type of impact. But I feel that ultimately it is probably something for the ultimate good, because I think there will come a point where something really genuine and penetrating emerges, that comes from and resides in the depth of my being.
edit on 15-11-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Hello TJ. No amount of thinking or analyzing will get you where you want to be, it will only strengthen your sense of self. In any case who is it that want's to be there? It is still your Ego. The Ego cannot release itself from it's trap. Passive awareness where there is absolutely no effort required is the way out. This is our natural state. Any effort at all is your mind playing tricks on you, pretending to help while keeping you right where it wants you to be.

I recommended Krishnamurti earlier on in the thread but if that's not to your liking you could maybe listen to Eckhart Tolle.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

... Words and concepts more and more over time became interesting play things, interesting in their effects on individuals and their thought processes and behavior

Or perhaps what is more important is how YOUR thought processes and YOUR behaviour has changed over time ?

But really I float between ideologies easily, because I am really detached from them all

Hmmm ... how so ?

---

It seems as though you've had a number of so-called "Peak Experiences" which do fade after a while in my experience and then Life seems to continue on as before right ?

Where are you at in terms of Feeling ? This is my first post here, I've just registered specifically to reply to this thread because I do relate to your post as I understand it!

A part of my overall process has been to get in touch with my feelings more deeply and to FEEL them more fully however uncomfortable that may be ...

I think it is important to balance one's Spirituality with Daily Life and it could be you're temporarily 'blocked' somehow ?

You mention an Eastern aspect to your Spirituality so perhaps getting back on to the cushion and just be-ing for a time without any agenda of seeking out new experiences may help you THROUGH this stage of your journey ?

Best Wishes !

PS I hope I haven't caused offence in anything I've written here, you could be a seasoned meditator for all I know

edit on 16-11-2014 by clearblueskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Truth is where you find it my friend. Keep looking and you will keep finding. Just remember that this is a journey, not a destination. Live, grow and learn.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You do not seek genuine spirituality, you seek to satisfy the thought that desires to comprehend something it cannot understand in order to gain something that it deems beneficial to your sense of self.

I tell you the most profound truth but because it doesn't satisfy your desire you attach to spirituality you simple overlook it and dismiss it as nonsense.

I tell you these things in order that you may, if you choose to, see what you do not see in yourself.

Drop the mind, drop the concepts, drop the symbols, drop the words, and you'll start to get a taste of truth.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I do not communicate these profound teachings to satisfy the minds thirst for knowledge. I communicate these profound teachings so that you may come to realize them within yourself and therefore come to know that what I communicate is verifiable truth. If you seek to know your self I may assist you but if you will not practice these teachings no good will come to you.
edit on 16-11-2014 by EviLCHiMP because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It may be that your heart is yearning for the real not the phenomena

Phenomena is a bridge to the real

The 3 levels of faith:

Lore of certainty: books, traditions and teachings

Eye of Certainty: Intuition and inner sight

Truth of Certainty: Experience of the real: Moses on Sinai; Jesus on the Cross: Muhammad in the cave: Buddha at the Lotus tree.

Remember also personality has to be satiated( cleared) before truth can shine

Truth descends on the empty house

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

No amount of thinking or analyzing will get you where you want to be, it will only strengthen your sense of self. In any case who is it that want's to be there? It is still your Ego. The Ego cannot release itself from it's trap. Passive awareness where there is absolutely no effort required is the way out. This is our natural state. Any effort at all is your mind playing tricks on you, pretending to help while keeping you right where it wants you to be.

drunk yogi says it much better than I did, but this is what I meant, I suppose. All you can do is make space for the truth to dawn. It doesn't have to be a lot of space even. And what you said about something genuine emerging from your being is also what I meant.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Might I recommend contemplation - this involves thinking, and thinking, and thinking. Take any thought that arises, and analyse it, determine where thoughts come from, track and trace your thoughts, and realise, although coded in "words" - thoughts have a meaning and a purpose. Personally, I practice it, I have been thinking about various questions for many years, and I am always making breakthroughs and coming up with new answers. Very deep questions about reality, and many investigations into my past and past lives.

Many want some kind of final "answer" that solves everything - I have deemed this to be impossible, because every moment arising, there is still a new question that has yet to be answered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join