It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Pursuit Of Genuine Spirituality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The thread title says it. I am in pursuit of genuine spirituality. And I guess I'm just curious if others can relate with what I have to say. For my entire adult life really, spirituality has been the most important thing to me. It started off in pursuit of strict fundamentalist religion, but eventually I went down a new path. Esoteric philosophy and spirituality. In my pursuit of and belief in this, I had many amazing, crazy, unbelievable experiences. These seemed to confirm my beliefs, on unity, reality as a manifestation of consciousness, and the like. But this passion towards this way of thinking faded. Probably in part because, while many things happened which seemed to confirm my beliefs, my life and reality did not fundamentally change, which I also considered inevitable if my beliefs were true.

And so I've been in spiritual limbo for some time now. Part of my esoteric path was also an eastern path. This led me into notions of the relativity of all concepts, the impossibility of finding ultimate truth in them. Reality as beyond concepts. Words and concepts more and more over time became interesting play things, interesting in their effects on individuals and their thought processes and behavior, but all ultimately relative and inadequate. I actually believed this transcendence of concepts to be a major part of 'the path to enlightenment.' I was passionate about this idea, which while it still resonates with me in ways, that passion isn't there in the same way. And yet it certainly relates to this 'state of limbo' I have been in, because I have studied and tried to get into the mindset of various spiritual and philosophic systems, ways of thinking and being, and have felt a definite detachment to all of them. I have basically tried to trick myself into taking them seriously, because of my belief that there IS an actuality to 'spirituality.' But really I float between ideologies easily, because I am really detached from them all.

At first I just saw this as a positive which related to my way of thinking. I'm detached, I'm not caught in concepts, and I can play with them. But, in another way it has really led to a loss of a sense of genuine spirituality. I seem to go back and forth between trying to get into a particular spiritual mindset, and then eventually come to feel like it's nonsense, pointless, and then try to find something else. There's a certain void there. I cannot deny my experiences, and I cannot deny my belief in the spiritual and my desire for it. But, I just cant find it. Sometimes I feel like, I don't care about the spiritual systems. There is something greater, something spiritual. It is not separate from me, at least entirely. I am at least connected to it. And so I'm almost at a point of saying, I don't know what the real spirituality is. I don't have the answers. But I desire it, whatever it is. And I want to open myself to whatever it is that is genuinely spiritual within myself. And try to find a spirituality which is not fake. Which is not me TRYING to get into some mindset, trying to believe something, and not think contrary things. And these ideas of reality originating from or being consciousness are still attractive to me in a way, which makes it more difficult yet, because then it's simply my inability to get in and stay in the right mindset that is stopping me. So, I don't have answers. But I desire them. And whatever it may be, I want the spirituality I find to be genuine.
edit on 14-11-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

My thoughts on the issue at this moment is that you have to let loose, you have to be willing to be crazy to connect with that higher thing. The society we are in imposes narratives of control, of expectations on us, but to find who we really are we have to be willing to break those, and do crazy things. My opinion is that there is no authentic spirituality in the day to day grind of illusion and expectation. Let loose, see where the force takes you. This takes fearlessness about what others think, but I really believe it is the way.

Peace!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue
I agree totally with that, and the imposition of those narratives, I think, keep us locked in, really, when we are seeking such spiritual connection to make the tangible changes the OP seems to be looking for in the day to day grind of living under such imposed narratives.

So going "out on the limb" so to speak, is the only way to break the narrative pattern of your life. I would also suggest some possible changes in diet, for instance. I think you have to try to get your body in a position to experience such, as so much within this paradigm stands between the OP and what he/she seeks.

Always enjoy your answers, trident, and good thread OP.
tetra

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I liked this old thread, was reading it again last night and thought of it when I read the title of your thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Awaken Your Consciousness -Open Your Minds!
by ET_MAN

I'm not a big believer in karma, or law of consequence, though there is something there, its just that people need to have their hope, forgiveness and understanding freed and realize that there is a far more positive way to shed errors and overcome failures than turn yourself over to a lower zone in the end. Its about learning and growth and understanding and the more compassion you have for others the more you can send that to yourself and work on it. I don't believe in any universe law thats always been, for consciousness is all and is superior to that which it reshapes or forms or allows or involves itself in.

But, other than emphasis on consequence, and agreeing somewhat with people having boxes that they believe in that may limit them for a time afterwards if they're not working to wake up, but don't believe that has to be true either just one possibility, I only see good and Family uplifting all. I see the rest as distortions and even programs that are running, errors at times, ie an NDE that shows hell. Don't believe in it at all. Know I'd never allow it and I can't more forgiving and loving that the Highest Love and Goodness. Very faulty human being, not really good at stress myself. Stresses overwhelm me at times, then I have to jump on the bike and keep peddling. No perfection here, but would never allow anything to seriously harm any soul, ever. Its just knowing what Love is that makes things make more sense.

But I think what he wrote about waking up from the dream to realize you kind of created this program on what is similar to a computer, to learn and grow in and then dove right in.

We're all trying to grow.

But its not in boxes, so take the highest Love and Mind in any religion or esoteric info you have but buy into no box, and do your seeking within.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
TY so much for sharing your journey thus far. It sounds like we have had similar paths I could have written verbatim what you wrote. Minus your experiences in life. Is this just a point some people reach after searching endlessly? I am still searching for spirituality, enlightenment, awareness after nearly thirty years. No Earth shattering changes or life altering experiences. I have improved myself in my own opinion of course. Even if this is all BS I feel better about myself and others. I seem to take away something from every teacher and I consider everyone a teacher definitely.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Maybe you are searching for something other than spirituality?

Universal truth, perhaps?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Nothing spiritual about what you have to say. No offense.

I see too many 'I' and if you were truly spiritual you would be able speak without saying I all the time even better if you don't even say I at all. This message is more about yourself then for others. It looks like to me you just want people to think you're more superior than you really are for your own self gratification.

You still have a lot to learn because Ego (Satan) still has his hold over you and that's keeping you from seeing the real truth rather then the illusion which you believe.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue

My thoughts on the issue at this moment is that you have to let loose, you have to be willing to be crazy to connect with that higher thing. The society we are in imposes narratives of control, of expectations on us, but to find who we really are we have to be willing to break those, and do crazy things. My opinion is that there is no authentic spirituality in the day to day grind of illusion and expectation. Let loose, see where the force takes you. This takes fearlessness about what others think, but I really believe it is the way.

Peace!

Well, I certainly agreed. I actually did make people think I was crazy for a bit, cuz I went so deeply into the idea that my consciousness was creating my reality and believed, as you say, that throwing myself fully into this, without any care whatsoever, was the path. And as I did this, I had many incredible experiences. But I also did kind of create the perception that I was crazy...which I think is another part of why I have a certain aversion to taking those ideas of consciousness-created reality too seriously.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TM62
TY so much for sharing your journey thus far. It sounds like we have had similar paths I could have written verbatim what you wrote. Minus your experiences in life. Is this just a point some people reach after searching endlessly? I am still searching for spirituality, enlightenment, awareness after nearly thirty years. No Earth shattering changes or life altering experiences. I have improved myself in my own opinion of course. Even if this is all BS I feel better about myself and others. I seem to take away something from every teacher and I consider everyone a teacher definitely.

The idea of 'the dark night of the soul' comes to mind. Perhaps that is what it is, others have said as much. There is a certain 'fear,' that I could really just be wasting a significant portion of my life in pursuit of what is really non-existent and meaningless. But I cannot help but believe, particularly in light of my experiences, though I have not really had much of those types of experiences for some time.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMarkd
Certainly that's an interesting perspective. However, I would say the truth may be in your statements here is simply that OP needs to concentrate more on what he/she puts out there in the world, in terms of others. Certainly a good point. As to dealing with thinking ego is Satan, and holds people back. Certainly your ego can hold you back, be some strong point of manipulation of you, if you let it. But ego is necessary in navigating the stream of life, as without it we wouldn't know where we began or ended and something else was…..

You must find and seek a balance, while still taking risks, and search without ego, certainly. But ego isn't a function of Satan, unless you let it be. Like any other part of you, it can be used against you to manipulate, if you let it. But you must find a way to assimilate your ego, integrated throughout your life experience, and put good things out there when possible.

But no one else will take care of you. So ego is a necessary part of life.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark

Nothing spiritual about what you have to say. No offense.

I see too many 'I' and if you were truly spiritual you would be able speak without saying I all the time even better if you don't even say I at all. This message is more about yourself then for others. It looks like to me you just want people to think you're more superior than you really are for your own self gratification.

You still have a lot to learn because Ego (Satan) still has his hold over you and that's keeping you from seeing the real truth rather then the illusion which you believe.

What makes you think I was trying to convey a spiritual message, when my primary point was that 'I don't have any answers.' Similarly, what makes you think I was trying to convey superiority when my primary point was that 'I don't have any answers.'

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

There is a certain 'fear,' that I could really just be wasting a significant portion of my life in pursuit of what is really non-existent and meaningless.

OP, don't let the enforced narratives we live under get you down with that. Certainly I know how you feel. Most people here probably do….

It's hard, very hard, especially as you get older, to keep the faith in such, but very, very important. Keep putting good things out there, being the best person you can be, and what you seek will somehow come back to you. I strongly believe that.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Well if you didn't have any answers, what was the point of your thread?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark

Well if you didn't have any answers, what was the point of your thread?

Maybe to see if someone else had some, instead of outright derision….though i don't mean to speak for OP. But if your looking for answers, your reaction sure isn't going to reinforce any faith in finding them in the sea of humanity, is it?
edit on 14-11-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

Thanks Tetra50, I always enjoy your answers too. You're a great and deep thinker, intelligent as hell. And I will take your advice on positive dietary changes to heart.

But I gotta tell you: You know what really has my gears grinding tonight? Alex Jones and David Icke. Especially the latter. What differentiates these men from me is that they are world famous millionaires, and I am impoverished. Why? If you go in to the history of David Icke's life, he got to a point where he decided to appear on a British talk show, and CLAIM HE WAS JESUS CHRIST that's how he launched his career, with the whole audience, and the UK at large, laughing at him. "Who would ever make such a fool of himself?" they all asked, while they mocked him and his family endlessly. Meanwhile he slowly transmuted his craziness into huge scale cash.

We love Mr. Icke because courage and authenticity are secretly more valued by the population at large than "looking cool" and "having the answers" and "not being questioned." That's what Mr. Jones and Mr. Icke both understand: They have arrived at a spiritual state where they don't give a damn about appearances, and that's more valuable to people than - for instance - all the reporting at MSNBC, who Jones gets more viewers/listeners than!!!

From a spiritual perspective, I believe its time for all of us to really start to lay it all out there. IF I'm crazy, if I'm stupid, to HELL with it! I am what I am, no fear! I believe this is what we all secretly want from each other, and REAL love demands we give it!

Peace Tetra, always a huge pleasure!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I was in the same boat, friend. I concluded a little differently, however. I find that there is no genuine spirituality unless it is one's own. This conclusion is bolstered by the fact that when I read or practice a spiritual system, it is not mine. It is something someone else came up with, a perspective from their perspective, populated by their thoughts, their words, their actions, their path. Genuine is an important term here, as genuine implies one of a kind, original, the actual.

I have travelled the world extensively and took extra care to examine the spiritualities of the peoples I came across. It was the horse and camel herders of the Gobi dessert who I found to have the strongest and most honest spirituality, philosophy or whatever you want to call it, simply by interacting with them and observing the overall happy disposition of them and their families. In short, it was health that was their main spiritual concern, and they had it. It wasn't thanks to any particular system that they arrived at these spiritual conclusions, but through their relationships to everything around them.

Sooner or later, we have to stop searching, and begin creating our spiritualities.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue
Thanks back to you, Trident, for the true compliments.
I think you raise some valid and excellent points via Mr. Icke and Mr. Jones. It's important to realize, though, they serve a desired function with in this paradigm. They've understood that, done what you suggest, fill those roles, and laugh all the way to the bank while they are ridiculed. However, they also put something out there well worth considering.

If this paradigm manipulates us, and I'm only just now beginning to understand this and get over my own personal anger about being manipulated, but as I stated on a thread earlier tonight, we sit around, read this stuff, ,and write about it here, thinking/hoping we are serving a purpose in exposing the enforced narrative controls we are under….but perhaps we need to learn how to manipulate the paradigm back so that it serves our needs, as well.

Not just diet, btw, but exercise. Learn what's going on with your neuropathic gateways and do things that boost this neurological activity. Manipulate your own body, everything within your controls on your own behalf to change your own reality….

Take care, Trident. OP, all your questioning is well worth it. It reveals a soul that is still searching. This is a soul with faith, or the questions would not be there. Take care of yourself. Do not let the daily living, being flat broke as Trident describes, as I live with as well, get you down. Keep pushing on with faith and keep searching.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

IMHO, this is absolutely key to everything and you nailed it right there:

It wasn't thanks to any particular system that they arrived at these spiritual conclusions, but through their relationships to everything around them.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: TM62

The idea of 'the dark night of the soul' comes to mind. Perhaps that is what it is, others have said as much. There is a certain 'fear,' that I could really just be wasting a significant portion of my life in pursuit of what is really non-existent and meaningless. But I cannot help but believe, particularly in light of my experiences, though I have not really had much of those types of experiences for some time.

I totally agree and I have known others (haha at least one other) that shares this perception. I believe too that there is some experience that has yet to manifest itself to all of us, that it will unite the world and we will all live happily ever after, LOL. I have found that truth of any and all things is what I desire most. I am not shocked by anything any more or emotional for that matter. I try to see the message if one is to be had that my tiny existence can put into perspective. Life generally goes smoothly and I try to be grateful for all of it, what choice do we have anyway? Let us make the best of what we got and love you as no other first. Being compassionate, empathetic and giving is wonderful but I feel it's pretty empty sometimes that giving it all away drains you. Thank you for starting this thread for us.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
To the OP I don't think anything is being wasted on the path you're taking. Thinking that you're wasting time to get where you're going is nonsense. In this world we live in, keeping a positive mind and remaining open minded is difficult. If you're able to work your way through what feels necessary and still find the light (whatever it is to you) then the more power to you. Those who are claiming it's an ego obviously have their own issues, because why would it bother them if you pursue a path in a direction that you want to follow, even if it's in a social agenda? You don't seem to be a negative person, and as unfortunate as it is that we have to work for the things that keep us alive, there are realistic claims that can be made that cast hope that we are giving back to the right people.

Wanting a better life for your family, wanting to pay for an education that should be free, doesn't make you a bad person, an egotistical person, or a satanist. I may be being very broad but seriously do not doubt your abilities along your path to live, and you should be fine. Stick up for yourself, remember where you come from and live a positive light that can be shed to another who is in doubt.

Good luck on your journey and trust your experiences.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join