It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a New MMO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I have been playing MMOs for years starting with The Realm in the mid-90s and moving through Everquest, Everquest II, Star Trek Online, Anarchy Online, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan among others. I am looking for a new MMO to play and prefer something from the fantasy genre over sci-fi. A hybrid is okay as well. I prefer something more involved over something overly dumbed down (like WoW). I play on PC only as I never got into consoles after the Atari 2600.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What in the hell is an MMO??
I'd like to help but not knowing what an MMO is doesn't help me one bit.
Again...what the hell is an MMO???

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

It's when you give up your personal life for a great cause...like entering dungeons with a party from around the world.

To the OP, for some ideas:

www.gamesradar.com...

You might enter ones that sound interesting into Metacritic.com and see what aggregate reviews pop up.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Had a bad experience with my last mmo, "Uncharted Waters" (a revamp of the old nintendo game)
Put around two hundred hours on it but they pulled the North American plug without any warning.
Nasty stuff. Awaiting replies.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

A Massively Multiplayer Online game. Wikipedia Entry

Lord of the Rings online is a good one. Then you have Rift and Guild Wars 2. I prefer Guild Wars 2 though.
edit on 11/14/2014 by ninjadan9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

I didn't play the MMO but I love, love, LOVED the old SNES game.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

A few of my friends, some of whom used to WoW, are playing League of Legends these days.

Elder Scrolls Online seems to be popular too (possibly because it's still so recent); a little bit grittier style fantasy.

Not sure how simplified these are though.

You could always check out the old classic Runescape lol!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Go ahead and try Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

It's a hybrid type of fantasy/medieval setting, with some science and technology/machinery involved.

A great game to play, if you have ever played any of the previous Final Fantasy titles, be it online or offline.

You will also enjoy it a lot if you have played MMO's like World of Warcraft in the past. It is a lot like WoW.

It's a paid subscription service, $14.99/month, software needs to be purchased as well $29.99 I believe.

If you really want a huge detour from American mainstream MMO's, you could go for Korean MMO's.

Look into Korean MMO's, like "Black Desert", "Bless", or "Blade & Soul" for eye candy.

Generally speaking, most Korean MMO's looks extremely gorgeous, way better than any MMO we have in the American market.

However, Korean MMO's are notoriously difficult to get into, usually because their games are only released in Korea/China and certain parts of Asia. Most American players cannot play, there is also the language barrier issue, so...

But if somehow you're able to try out one of the Korean MMO's, you will know what I'm talking about.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Massive Multiplayer Online = MMO

They are incredible time sinks, but I love meeting and talking to people from around the globe. I wouldn't have friends in Norway or Denmark without MMOs.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Can't go any further than EVE Online bro....it's da bomb.

You can even earn ingame currency to pay for your own account within three months.

If you are keen, PM me and I'll send a personal invite that will grant you a 21-day free trial.
edit on 14-11-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

I still play the old one on my comp using an emulator.
You know what the best part is? You can hit the space bar and speed up time.

Doesn't take long to have a full fleet of Tekousens (spll) and millions in gold.
Without the space bar it would literally take years to play!
-Glad you enjoyed it

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

edit on 14-11-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I am looking for a new MMO to play and prefer something from the fantasy genre over sci-fi. A hybrid is okay as well.

Wildstar kind of has a bit of both , but if you looking for something a bit more of a challenge i can also recommend EVE online.

www.wildstar-online.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In 20 minutes the EU wow servers go down for maintainance so good chance you get a lot more tips your way

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Not to mention you can save it while playing cards, get a crew a lot easier. I always play as a pirate anyway. I think I'll revisit this game...it's been about seven years. Thanks for the reminder!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I started playing Lord of the Rings online several months ago and got completely hooked. It's the first MMORPG I have played and stays very true to Tolkien and I find it completely immersive. It's also FREE which is nice.
LOTR Online

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Metallicus

Wife and I are playing Archeage Having a blast.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
How about 'The Secret World'

You can play as the illuminati.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Champions Online for the hundreds of hours you'll waste, having fun coming up with weird costumes and power combos.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Ive been playing eve-online for a very long time, so i have to give it a thumbs up.

Its a long game of patience building your character and assets and friends. Not so much a pick of the shelf and start spamming missiles at everything. Its very 'dangerous', scamming, stealing traping, ganking is all perfectly acceptable and you are against some crafty people. Challenge isnt the word for a game like this!!

It is however sci-fi and zero magic fantasy-esque, so may not be your cup of tea right now.

However if you do like space ships, this is all about the spaceships! (soon to be getting fully manual ship control like freelancer)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join