It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism, Misogyny and the rise and rise and rise of the internet asshole....

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice
It's like this. If you want to get under a regular dude's skin and mess with their head, easiest tactic is to attack their "manhood" or call him a homo. It almost guarantees a reaction. Especially if there is other guys around to witness it, and especially if he is a jerk. Every time I have ever wanted to goad a jerk into a fight, that is the tactic I used to get him to agree to some fisticuffs.

That tactic does not work on most women. The things that work the best to rile a girl up is body image in my experience. If I was a jerk and wanted to mess with a girl's head, that is angle I would go with. The guys that are making rape threats, probably view women as weak, so they figure intimidation would be the best way to troll them.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

By the way, I more than gladly am or would be thankfully willing to take out the trash for my wife, for my mum, and also for my sister..because it is my pleasure to favor her, it is all my pleasure..

take the trash out for her??
so it is usually her job then?...you step in every now and then to take it out as a favor to her??

thats so nice of you.....

do you give her a break from the dishes too??

in my house, whoever tosses the 'filling piece' of garbage in takes it outside.....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Well, I'm pretty sure if I did that, I'd be murdered by some of my friends and loved ones , who are gay and gamers. I'm not going to marginalize another group in order to undermine someone. I don't need to. I do find it funny that people keep mistaking me as someone who needs advice on how to handle these things. I've been a female online fps gamer since about 1998. That's 16 years of being sexually harassed and well, I think that qualifies for expert level on handling it.

You wouldn't bother me at all and that's the truth. I don't leave servers. I make the person leave and I do it in such a way that no one can fault me for it. I let them dig their own graves. I'm very efficient at it. Body image attacks, btw, are actually kind of dumb really because they are so overused and have been for at least decade. Every female gamer has heard the "you must be fat and ugly" remark. It's meaningless now.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I hand it to you WA, from what my gaming daughter tells me about the abuse and harassment of female gamers it makes me want to get in there and kick some a** too.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I hand it to you WA, from what my gaming daughter tells me about the abuse and harassment of female gamers it makes me want to get in there and kick some a** too.

I just keep one thing in mind: If I quit gaming, they win. I can't have that so I'm in it for the long haul. I once joked that I will be a gaming granny and, at this point, that's probably going to happen. I'm sorry that your daughter experiences this. I do this for the love the game, but I also do it for my daughter. She's a gamer, just not online yet. I want her to be able to game in a community that doesn't think these kind of verbal attacks are the epitome of wit and hilarity.

Anyways, tell your daughter to keep doing what she loves and not to ever let anybody make her feel like she shouldn't play a video game. Why that is considered male dominated is beyond me as it's all reaction speed, hand/eye coordination, and strategy and none of those traits are gender specific. Eventually those males that cannot handle that anybody can play a video game will have to get used to that reality.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

originally posted by: InTheLight

I just keep one thing in mind: If I quit gaming, they win. I can't have that so I'm in it for the long haul. I once joked that I will be a gaming granny and, at this point, that's probably going to happen. I'm sorry that your daughter experiences this. I do this for the love the game, but I also do it for my daughter. She's a gamer, just not online yet. I want her to be able to game in a community that doesn't think these kind of verbal attacks are the epitome of wit and hilarity.

Anyways, tell your daughter to keep doing what she loves and not to ever let anybody make her feel like she shouldn't play a video game. Why that is considered male dominated is beyond me as it's all reaction speed, hand/eye coordination, and strategy and none of those traits are gender specific. Eventually those males that cannot handle that anybody can play a video game will have to get used to that reality.

I am not so patient as you, I want change now.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You mistake my intentions, I wasn't saying that was what you should do. I was trying to explain why men and women are trolled differently. I certainly don't suggest you become a troll lol.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

"And feminism now a days is about female objectives it is not about equality, in fact I do not even think such a thing would be a good thing". You actually wrote that didn't you. You are saying that Equality is not a good thing. My goodness..Some people then actually think that equality for women is actually even a bad thing..

See this is what happens when you dont read. I mean I could post the part were I also said equality in the very real sense of the word. I did not say equality is a bad thing, what I was trying to get at without writing paragraphs is that equality is a broad term and if taken on a literal sense it would not be such a great thing.

Besides were in is anything feminists have done about equality? I mean if they want to work or do all the other stuff men do, go ahead. But how is that equality. We already are about as equal as we can get, and most of the things pushed by them is just favoritism for them in all things they do.

Personally, I believe Equality is about giving Respect to the ladies and their needs and concerns..

Well OK. Most dudes would say that. But how is that in any context? Instead of writing bland sentences maybe you should try to put it in a context or something.

For instance I could say.. "I believe equality is about giving respect to the men and there needs and concerns"....Now you see that, if you take the "ladies" out of that and install "men", people would be confused, they may not even know what your talking about. Basically what I am saying is that means absolutely nothing without at the very least a bit of context.

Besides dude I am pretty sure there are plenty of other dudes out there who are giving service to there needs and concerns, in fact it seems most of them go a bit crazy when they dont get a bit of special attention constantly. And if your talking about basic rights. Well, they have that, more so then men in a lot of cases. In fact one could even say that in the men world respect is not something which is given, it generally is something which is earned. But were not talking about that kind of respect are we?

You may want to explain which kind of respect your talking about and why, maybe make a list of the different types of respects and in what and which way they would apply. As for concerns and needs? Well we all have concerns and needs, I have yet to see anybody bother about my concerns and needs in any platform out there in life, but ya...Equality and all.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

And then you continue with a statement like the one written above.. can you just imagine..heaven forbid every guy on the planet treat ladies equally, respectfully..appropriately;

Listen you must have really be some sort of slow.

I already said in that very sentence that I meant it in a very literal sense. If you take it out of context with all the other things I said well off course it may be off center. But that's ok, I mean you do seem like maybe English is not your first language as well. So I will explain again.

Equality the way I look at it has something to do with what you said above, but also does not have much to do with a lot of details. Treating ladies respectfully and appropriately I would classify probably in the manners category. And the manner category off course is classified by every civilization out there which exists and has existed into two basic categories, one for males, and one for females. In fact in some civilizations they even had whole language differences and for the sexes, in fact in japan and other places females have there own form of speaking and even writing. See this link.
Verancular differences in Japanese culture

In western cultures its pretty much the same, though not as obvious. So what your talking about has a bit to do with equality but it has more to do with culture and manners which are trained as kids mostly and generally by women at a young age. I mean look at it like this, when you talk to a woman do you talk to her the same as you would a guy? Off course not, if every guy did that they would never get anywhere much less laid or married.

In fact if most guys talked to women like they did to other guy it would cause lots of drama or somebody is getting slapped or who knows what. So as you can see, there are differences between men and women even in such small things. Things are not equal in that category, in fact the word equal is sort of a misnomer when applied to all the facts, given one fact of the differences in language and the attire of language between males and females, and that is just in one category, ie the language category.

So basically the way you use the equal word has no specific meaning, your just throwing it out there because its basically an oxymoron in applicative terms. What you should have said to be better understood is something along the lines of this. Everybody should treat ladies as they want to be treated, respectfully...appropriately. Or better yet everybody should tread everybody else regardless of gender respectfully...appropriately. Or you can do as Jesus did and say, treat everybody as you would want to be treated. But then again its all about context and that.

But equality is a broad term, men and men are not equal, in anything from day to day activities to work to everything else in society. I mean are you and some random guy on the street equal? How about you and the guy on the side of the road puking his guts out that smells funny and is wearing taters, are you two equal? Or how about you and the guy driving that Ferrari and lives in that mansion, are you equal? Like I said that would likely be the wrong word to chose in anything much less life, I mean you can say that but as long as you dont look at the details it wont matter, but as soon as you look at the details, well things change. Respect..Ya ok I get it. Being treated as a human being OK, sure I get it.

But not even snowflakes are equal, not even two colors of the rainbow are equal, nothing in this whole world is really equal, there are two many differences between men and women for it to really in a very real sense of the word be so. If by equal you mean respect and how I would treat guys or how I am treated. Well to be frankly I do not think many women would want that, oh noz not at all. Which is why when females mean equal they generally mean equal on there terms, and feminists much more so. And if its on there terms, well it would only be equal for them.

Do you like comprehend what I am saying? I really dont have time to answer all your silly remarks you know. Maybe you should like contemplate and practice the art of reading # before you answer to it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Men have not ruled for centuries men have just taken the front and center role for centuries, mostly because it attracts females, and generally where the power goes the females follow, because they like that stuff and it gets a great majority of them off.

I could explain that but it would require some thing I like to call knowledge in a little thing called history and basic knowledge in biology and differences in the male and female animal called homo sapien. But suffice to say, its to much work. I got better things to do ya know.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ugh the sexism argument. It yields dozens of pages on multiple forums and yet NOTHING EVER REALLY GETS SAID.

I need to avoid these threads.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Like I said I never really considered the things said to me as abuse in any game I played. Even that guy that said he was going to ass rape my corpse in that one COD game, It all kind of just went over my head. Whatever you know. In that medium at least I would likely not even notice it and dont even have a problem with it, but I dont get much flak in those games.

I am sure females would get a lot more flak, and in truth I dont even talk to females in those games, and I would prefer just to leave the lobby. Lets just say I think there is a reason why for centuries sailors did not allow females on to ships, it just brings out a whole lot of stuff when everybody is in enclosed room for that long and you have b bunch of guys and one woman.

Like I said I have run into just as many online princess who get every guy to hit on them and get a kick out of it, just as I ran into the really off the hook guys saying all kinds of things to female gamers. But it depends on the media outlet, I think or at least for guys in games, its a whole different outlet then lets say a forum like ATS or Facebook or ect. The two are different, and things come across a lot more harshly in the written word, especially if its on something like this and its a hot topic. Everybody has opinions and everybody wants to be right, and well most buttons are in peoples heads, who know what topic or in what way its said or written may set them off.

I do believe its called the batter of the sexes after all, I suppose for some that would even categorize it as some sort of spectator sport, and a few years ago even on this site it was that alright, but go to other sites and on some videos on youtube and its still going on. In fact that one video I was talking about some pages ago about cat calling, what are the chances that somebody is still going on about that on youtube or facebook. Pretty high I would say.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Listen dude give over already, its dead and done.

I mean sure there is a saying that behind every successful and powerful men there was a women. And its true.

But another saying which goes along the line of. Behind every beautiful woman there is a man who is sick and tired of putting up with her #. Which is also true.

I mean we could have a pissing contest on who did what, or who accomplished what, and how important and prominent it is and what not. But you know, its a pissing contest and women would lose because they have to sit to pee...So there.

I mean we could go on and one with witty sayings, but it dont mean much especially now a days. I mean, talk about beating a dead horse? Oh noz another wise saying. I'm on fire today...that... or I must like have some sort of access to a site with thousand and thousands of such witty sayings...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax
Not necessarily for some I think it beats paying the price of a shrink. Its not only cheep entertainment, but its in one form at least something both sexes use to get chips off there shoulders in an undisclosed manner, so in a way these type of things do help digress and diminish things.

I dont know, I once thought that talking your problems out or even ranting it to somebody else was a waste of time. Now being much more enlightened I believe it is only half a waste of time. How know maybe what everybody need is there own personal shrink who follows them around and tell them there a beautiful flower and not to listen to all the negativity, maybe that would help the world.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Listen you must have really be some sort of slow.
I mean you do seem like maybe English is not your first language as well.

You have confused "equal" with "same" or "identical".
Things, people, actions, qualities, can be equal in value, and different.
They do not need to be the same, to be equal.

Apples and oranges are different, yet equal, for example.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

You are bound and determined to not listen to what I am saying aren't you?
Let me put what I am hearing from you in my words:
"I am coming into this enviroment and I fully expect the enviroment to adapt to cater to MY delicate sensibilities."

One of the things you are CONTINUALLY failing to hear is that it isn't that anyone is nessecarily trying to chase you away.

You seriously and stubbornly have the causality and your rights completely screwed up.
And even then, there are servers that disallow trolling.
Find them, problem solved.
edit on 18-11-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The thing most people don't understand about trolls, is that they really are psychic vampires. They have forgotten how to, or flat out refuse to generate their own light, and instead try to steal it from everyone else.

It is like they are stuck in a dark but shallow pit, they could just stand up and exit it, but they won't or they don't know how.

Everytime you respond to a troll with anything other than calm logic, they feel like they have won, and get a temporary ego boost, a temporary burst of light. They are sucking you down into that lonely pit with them, and they have your company until you decide to step out of it.

Probably sounds weird lol, insomnia makes me a bit crazy though

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Very late to the thread, but have been reading as well as appreciate it and the conversations.

NO ONE should have to put up with these attitudes, especially if they promote and or move onto rape and other violence threats. Seems like the many speaking out against these attitudes are getting # for it because people want it to remain that way, to say it's enjoyed to act that way to others.

It's causing a rift any community, in these times were we need a better connection to share information for example. Women and men as well being threatened for vblogs to even just sharing videos, hurts the flow information. ATS, while seemingly more accepting to female members now, higher percentage not afraid to share who they are, less so in the past-seems like a few of those who were causing trouble found they were not winning what ever game they were playing against female members.

There's a fine line between joking and demeaning people to make oneself feel better. Really it is showing and promoting low self worth. Hurting people fixes nothing, one should strive to deal with their issues another way, a way to help them heal instead of remain in denial as well. It's not healthy at all for anyone. Though of course, there are the cases where those are not mentally capable. People should stand up against the behavior. In the end political and theocracy promoted politics would more than love to restrict internet freedom because a "million --insert moniker-- march" promotes anti bullying and online threats. In the end we all lose if no one stands up to it.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I'll just throw this out there.
Do with it whatever you will of course.

But perhaps what you're seeing as more to do with you than us.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

originally posted by: tony9802

By the way, I more than gladly am or would be thankfully willing to take out the trash for my wife, for my mum, and also for my sister..because it is my pleasure to favor her, it is all my pleasure..

take the trash out for her??
so it is usually her job then?...you step in every now and then to take it out as a favor to her??

thats so nice of you.....

do you give her a break from the dishes too??

in my house, whoever tosses the 'filling piece' of garbage in takes it outside.....

The comment I made about removing the litter, has to do with the following statement someone else had made. I don't remember what the guy's username is, but he said the following:

"I'm all for equality. Take out the trash and go work in some coal mines and see how well 'equality' treats you."

I don't believe equality is about taking out the garbage folks!
edit on 19-11-2014 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join