It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism, Misogyny and the rise and rise and rise of the internet asshole....

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Malynn

At what point did I say anything about the way anything should be?
I just find it pointless to complain and especially turn it into a issue ala sexism.
Because it isn't really.
It's smack talk, the only way gender matters is in the angle of attack.
edit on 17-11-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
What are you talking about? If you find there an asshole or whatever. There is generally a mute or kick button, if your looking to avoid them there is no sure way, unless you have precognitive abilities. But you dont, I do not sense any psychic abilities from you. So ya, mute and kick or just leave the room is not that hard to do. That's what I am talking about muting or an ignore button would solve plenty of problems, we need to bring back the ignore button...So who's with me? We can totally just bitch and whine about it on this thread till they bring it back.

Besides even though it happens strangers talking online about how there going to rape somebody does not happen as often as you all make it out to be, in fact it just may happen more often to guys then women. If you ever played shooters there is always at least that one guy going off about how he raped you or tea bagged you or any number of things when you run into them. Its actually a pretty common thing in a lot of games I played, and most of it is done to psyche the other player or team out, and generally if its a female they will get the same and more so and generally for the same reasons ie to mess with there heads. And the more response they get the more there going to do it.

But on the whole rape thing or saying such things to women well I found more of that sort of stuff on YouTube then in online competitive games, and generally its in topics were it will bring up and boil a whole lot of things in peoples heads, so ya. If the topic is lets say like this thread, well your bound to find a whole lot of dudes saying all kinds of things, I mean on ATS its pretty mild, but on other sites especially if there not moderated its bound to be more prevalent. Most dudes do it because they got a chip on there shoulder or they got f##d over by somebody usually a girlfriend or even like everybody has said because they cant get laid or even because there life right then and there sucks and they blame females, and a bunch of other reasons which would fill pages and pages.

And well females? Well there less vocal about things there the more lie and wait and see before striking in round about ways, in fact even here usually in these sort of threads you can find the usual suspects come in, and its generally men and women both. Sometimes like clockwork, and no doubt they got there reasons. And its just as likely that its because of the same reasons why some males do it, because they cant get any...No joke! I am starting to think that may be the cause and solution to all the worlds problems for both men and women...As for me, well I'm just weird, my reasons would probably be so bizarre that even I would not want to know about them.

But you know what...Ah whatever...See you all in about 5 months on the next such thread, for the #z and giggles if nothing else.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: undo
Affirmative there undo. Just dont expect me to remember all that stuff you wrote come tomorrow. But ya! As of right now it seems pretty agreeable.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice
I generally dont usually take it serious at all, in fact I used to play those games with some of those guys. Not only that I am still friends in real life with one of those guys, and to tell the truth they rip on dudes more often then females, but that is only because they do it for the thrill of it and just to # with peoples heads. Once in a while you do get those which seek out and do say all kinds of things to anybody they think is a female online. But ya, online your going to get all kinds of things.

Like I said I generally dont sweat it, but I think its because none of that stuff really pisses me off, not that there are not things which piss me off and I would not go off on, because there are, but # talking or people saying this or that to me does not phase me even when its to my face. In fact I get more pissed when I know they want to say something but they dont and go round about it, that would piss me way more off more so then if they actually called me all kinds of names or whatever. My way to deal with it is generally to not listen, which I dont in any case, or mute them, or if there annoying go nuts on them insult them and there little dog as well. That usually shuts them up after to tell the truth.

But ya I think everybody has there button, and its a bit different for different people, and not only that it just may as well depend on the day or whatever quirk is going through your mind on that particular day which sets you off, and off course the medium which it happens in, that is in games is a whole lot different then it is on sites such as ATS or Youtube or any other site it tends to attract different people for different reasons. In females its kind of obvious what sets them off, which is why you will likely or at least online and especially in those type of games, well if they see blood they will go for it, to sort of say.

And those videos I posted, ah the whole thing is staged. In fact those two got there own YouTube channels were they do all kinds of things generally troll stuff were they mess with people or put on shows for the #z and giggles of it. So ya to somebody like me or pretty much any dude has seen plenty of people say worse stuff on those games, and most times its done by a 12yr old. So ya! It depends a lot on the venue and medium they say that stuff on, if half the stuff I hear online in shoot them ups were written on ATS threads or other sites, they would probably have a campaign to scrub the webs clean and censored put as a bill before congress. Like I said its all about buttons...Buttons, people just have different buttons and issues which set them off.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

What type of abuse is found on God Like Productions of all places? Isn't that a Xtian website..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Lol all the people in this thread railing against feminism realize feminism is for EQUALITY of man and woman right? But why would we want that? Men have ruled for millenia and everything is perfect.

"And feminism now a days is about female objectives it is not about equality, in fact I do not even think such a thing would be a good thing".

You actually wrote that didn't you. You are saying that Equality is not a good thing. My goodness..Some people then actually think that equality for women is actually even a bad thing..

Personally, I believe Equality is about giving Respect to the ladies and their needs and concerns..
edit on 18-11-2014 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Lol all the people in this thread railing against feminism realize feminism is for EQUALITY of man and woman right? But why would we want that? Men have ruled for millenia and everything is perfect.

Can you imagine what it would be like if every guy on the planet treated females equally?

And then you continue with a statement like the one written above.. can you just imagine..heaven forbid every guy on the planet treat ladies equally, respectfully..appropriately;

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
..."Men have not ruled for centuries men have just taken the front and center role for centuries, mostly because it attracts females, and generally where the power goes the females follow, because they like that stuff and it gets a great majority of them off.

Gee whiz.. what is this guy saying..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802
..."Men have not ruled for centuries men have just taken the front and center role for centuries, mostly because it attracts females, and generally where the power goes the females follow, because they like that stuff and it gets a great majority of them off.

Truth hurts eh?

I'm all for equality. Take out the trash and go work in some coal mines and see how well 'equality' treats you.
edit on 18-11-2014 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Truth hurts eh?

Well as the saying goes: "Behind every great man, there's a powerful and great woman".. try that for governing "front and center," century after century.. By the way, throughout history, for example Christian or European History, there were many numerous examples of leading ladies.. She has held protagonist championing roles throughout, but I wouldn't want to bring those up here on this thread, since it might offend those who who engage in tough, virulent, men's work; those who work endless hours in unsavory "coal mines"..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

Cannot? No.

Likely? Also no.

Hey like I said I'm all for equality. She can go work 40hrs a week and I'll cook/clean and watch dem babies.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Are you saying then that women cannot live up to male standards of physical endurance? that your physical strength makes you more powerful than women which in turn is why you believe you are unequal to her..it's logic that eternally returns back towards and into itself isn't it..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
By the way, I more than gladly am or would be thankfully willing to take out the trash for my wife, for my mum, and also for my sister..because it is my pleasure to favor her, it is all my pleasure..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Cannot? No.

Likely? Also no.

Hey like I said I'm all for equality. She can go work 40hrs a week and I'll cook/clean and watch dem babies.

Some lady Lawyers have work weeks of up to 60-80 hours, She then might hire someone to take care of the children and to surprise her with the night's evening menu..

Perhaps if you could stop trying so hard..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I think you hit the nail on the head...preferably with a bat.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Cannot? No.

Likely? Also no.

Some lady Lawyers have work weeks of up to 60-80 hours, She then might hire someone to take care of the children and to surprise her with the night's evening menu..

Perhaps if you could stop trying so hard..

Haha just trying to have a discussion but by all means make assumptions about my level of 'try hard'

You're right I'd much rather just pay to have someone watch my kids than my husband that I found to be obsolete.
You make me laugh Apparently trying to point out that equality is a two way street is trying too hard! That's feminists for ya.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Well, I don't think that women necessarily do quite the same thing. I've never seen a woman sexually harassing a guy on a server.

Because women and men act and think differently, so naturally, different forms of abuse are needed.
Making comments of a sexually harrassing nature to a male could and in a stereotypical viewpoint would backfire spectacularly.

That's an awfully generalizing statement. I'm a woman but if you plugged most of my posts from these boards into gender genie, such programs peg me as male. Personality tests also place me as being infinitely more masculine than feminine in personality. The last one that was done said I was 98% masculine. I'm also INTJ which is most dominated by men. Tell me again how I think differently than a guy because I happen to be female? One could argue that I'm an outlier but I see the actual gender thinking and behavior as being a spectrum of masculine/feminine and not so clear cut as what you belie.

On the subject of online bullying.
What are we do about online bullying?
Throw them in jail?
Glut the prison system further with essentially harmless morons who like to shoot off their mouths?
Doing so would open the door to all sorts of injustice.

Nope. Social responsibility. If you see somebody acting like an inappropriate jerk, tell them to knock it off. It's not that hard and it's not like they're going to punch you in the nose. There was a statistic on online bullying about how something like 88% of people, when exposed to online bullying/harassment did nothing in response even when they didn't like what was occurring. Why is that? Some loudmouth on the net isn't going to come punch you in the nose for stepping in. If people actually turned against the bullies where they crop up, they're outnumbered.

It's that simple. It's free and it doesn't glut the prison system. Those online bullies, however, who make physical threats should see some jail time. It should be treated as any other form of harassment or threat and usually the jail time for those is quite brief. However, the experience of being sent to jail for threatening to rape another human being, even if it were for a day, would probably deter the behaviors.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

You really need to stop making assumptions. Much of it doesn't piss me off. In fact, the reality of my voice staying even and my gameplay not reducing while being severely sexually harassed is pretty self evident that it doesn't get to me. However, I'm also a pretty broken individual who tends to dissociate so no great surprise there that I simply depersonalize. I've been hearing this kind of thing since 1997 maybe? I think it's safe to say that I weather the storm very well because little pissants haven't scared me off the net.

However, I've also learned to take it rather seriously when it is extreme. I have been stalked online so while much of it is just online posturing, there's always going to be one nutjob that might want to take those threats into reality. I'm poignantly aware of that.

The other issue that I have with much of what has been said to me personally is that they do not ask my age. While I might have tools and more in order to deal with it, a 13 year old girl might not. If you had a daughter, would you let her play games? If someone said things like the stuff that does get said to her, how well would you keep your composure?

Most of the ones that have gone after me in game are probably in their early to mid 20's. A few 30+ types as well. Those 12 year olds tend to be rather cool actually aside from the trollish ones that make obnoxious sounds in the mic (and I'm not talking about them just speaking). Having that one kid actually make those sounds was quite anomalous and disturbing. In fact, most of the time, those dirty rotten 12 year olds have kicked adult males for sexually harassing me.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

However, I've also learned to take it rather seriously when it is extreme. I have been stalked online so while much of it is just online posturing, there's always going to be one nutjob that might want to take those threats into reality. I'm poignantly aware of that.

The incident you had with this stalker, that sounds really scary.. you had mentioned earlier that somehow, someone had obtained your personal information and that they were pursuing you to tje point where you had to request assistance from the authorities..

Do you mind if I ask what happened with this stalker person..I also wonder what you were able to do against him legally..

Under those types of circumstances, you have to totally operate with cameras, if you believe they are near or around you.. I imagine you spoke about it with most if not all of your friends and family, and that together as a team you must have been able to offset the disturbed interest of this guy.

In any case, that's totally movie screen experience and not too many people have that level of depth and understanding about these types of crime scene narratives or law'legal narratives either; Thankfully everything turned out well, although you still probably wonder where that person is, if they still every now and then think about you, etc.

What exactly happened?
I'm glad your safe: Jamie Lee Curtis always gets away;

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Two separate incidents, heh, unfortunately for me. The violent sociopath was a random person that saw me on the street. The online stalker was pursuing me on the net and issuing death threats against my family and I. I was actually in police ordered hiding with the first one (who did go to jail among other things). The online stalker knew what street I lived on and someone cut our fuel line on our car soon about a month after I had eliminated his access to me entirely (I hid on the net). Whether the online stalker cut my fuel line or not, I do not know. I do know that I had no obvious enemies and no other death threats at the time. The fuel line was absolutely cut. An officer showed me to let me know how lucky I was that the engine failed to start. He never served any time as pursuing him was "problematic".

The first was to indicate that there are very dangerous and mentally unstable people in the world. That's reality. The first was able to gather a huge amount of information about me without the internet. Now imagine if somebody like that is on the internet today. The internet is a stalker's paradise and based on my experiences with the first and second, sometimes you don't even know you're in danger.

I don't know which case you want to know about. You're welcome to U2U me to avoid thread derailment. If you're looking for true criminal aberrant behavior, I'd say case #1 though mind you, I willfully blocked myself from knowing some particulars of that case. What little I knew was bad enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join