It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism, Misogyny and the rise and rise and rise of the internet asshole....

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
This thread is not about Muslim women.

So how about folks stop hijacking it and discuss the topic at hand?

My bad. I apologize. I thought it was about women, of which Muslims happen to have a few. I'll behave now, and act as if Muslims have no women.

They probably shouldn't have them, anyhow. I hear they make 'em dress funny - which, of course, has nothing to do with their rights as women, or how they are treated.

SO - back to the regularly scheduled programming.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I am totally against getting rid of internet anonymity, what tiny bit there is left at least. I am less worried about trolls, and more worried about privacy. These days more and more bosses/school administrators are acting like they own their employees, and will fire/expel people for holding opinions they don't like, for participating in hobbies they don't like, for holding political opinions they don't like etc. In my mind, protecting some sensitive people against obvious trolls is a lot less important than allowing people to have outlets where they don't have to worry about their personal life and personal opinions getting them fired/expelled from school.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Not really I am a feminist but I realise that most men hold the same beliefs as me that women should be treated equally.
There are people that believe organisations.s such as the NAACP are racist.
Other who believe they worked to empower, we all look at things differently.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

But you're missing the point. Women aren't treated as equal to men in many places in our society and world. That's the bottom line. Some feminists may take to far or be offensive or whatever but the whole term and movement and underlying reason is equality. That equality and the fight for it are the point and the main thing.

I beg to differ.

It's not called "Egalitarianism".

It's a whole different "ism".

Says so, right in the name.

But that's OK - I won't open doors for 'em if they're just decent enough ahead of time to let me know they just want to be equal. I'll let 'em open their own, like I do with any man.

"Opening doors" covers a whole range of activity. It's often used metaphorically for "creating opportunity".

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

originally posted by: neformore
This thread is not about Muslim women.

So how about folks stop hijacking it and discuss the topic at hand?

My bad. I apologize. I thought it was about women, of which Muslims happen to have a few. I'll behave now, and act as if Muslims have no women.

They probably shouldn't have them, anyhow. I hear they make 'em dress funny - which, of course, has nothing to do with their rights as women, or how they are treated.

SO - back to the regularly scheduled programming.

No dear, its about how women have the right to be on the internet without being belittled and insulted... of course unless your Muslim... then you can be used however anyone sees fit to talk about or use you... Muslim women can be belittled and talked down either to or about without anyone (especially Muslim women) being able to say boo about it.
edit on 15-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I find the while door opening thing weird. It's whoever gets to the door first opens it and then if somebody is right next to you, you waVe them through. That's just politeness.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: ketsuko

So because a woman might like to have no strings attached sex with another consenting adult she becomes unworthy of respect? You don't have to objectify yourself to have casual sex. It can be fun and a great experience.

I don't respect men who have that proclivity. Should I accord women who do MORE respect than men?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

What are you blathering about? Are you daring to say that talking about female oppression belittles us? Is talking about oppression of ethnic minorities belittling them as well? Or is it just women you reserve that for.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

That's fair enough, if you don't respect people who have sex outside of relationships that's your right. If you held that disrespect for just women. That would be sexist.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Not really I am a feminist but I realise that most men hold the same beliefs as me that women should be treated equally.
There are people that believe organisations.s such as the NAACP are racist.
Other who believe they worked to empower, we all look at things differently.

yeah, I'm one of those, too - I believe the NAACP to be racist, because again. it's built right into the organizational name.

Would you think that an organization named "The He-Man Woman Hater's Club" was sexist? If so, why not "Feminist"?

One magically "empowers" while the other just "hates"? All too often, those words are used interchangeably - or just as a smoke screen, one to mask the other, depending on which side is using which word at the moment.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

So because a woman might like to have no strings attached sex with another consenting adult she becomes unworthy of respect? You don't have to objectify yourself to have casual sex. It can be fun and a great experience.

And when every man knows that you are the kind of woman who will hook up and have no strings attached sex, you have just become the same thing every male fantasizes about and no male respects. Just ask them, and they'll tell you.

You are not taking power over your sexuality as far as they are concerned, but you are making yourself an object of contempt, right after they use you for their own purposes. They will not respect you in the morning, and they won't respect you when you decide you won't hook up with them after having observed you hooking up with a bunch of other guys, and that attitude toward women that it provokes spills over onto the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I find the while door opening thing weird. It's whoever gets to the door first opens it and then if somebody is right next to you, you waVe them through. That's just politeness.

In this day and age, and this political climate, I find it best to "leapfrog" - if I open the first one, SHE had damned well better open the second! See, by me opening the first, SHE gets to the second before I do...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

That's fair enough, if you don't respect people who have sex outside of relationships that's your right. If you held that disrespect for just women. That would be sexist.

I'm an equal-opportunity hater. I hate everyone equally.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit
While I agree people abuse anonymity, I don't think removing anonymity is the answer. Removing anonymity will probably lead to peer pressure and everyone towing the party line, since I think it's just natural to hate on the minority. Don't ask me why, but society likes majority views. And if leadership is corrupt, anonymity can protect the whistle blower. I think a better answer is just to teach people better how to do the right thing ON THEIR OWN. Religion I think to some amount does this. People have to hold themselves accountable without a serious threat to themselves from outside. The threat has to come from inside. The person has to do the right thing when doing the wrong thing is easily within reach.

Being able to do what's right voluntarily is a freedom in my eyes. Removing it just feels like being more like a prisoner. If I have to have my every move put on the loudspeaker or recorded on a satellite to ensure I do the right thing with threat of punishment otherwise, I think our society will just end up being like a hive.

There're risks with all freedoms.
edit on 15-11-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

People tend to end up with people who share there values.
I have had casual sex , my partner has had casual sex, obviously before we met each other, as we both believe in monogamy.
If men believe they shouldn't have casual sex then they are going to find partners who agree.
Men who feel women should be held to different standard well no I don't agree with that, it's unfair in my opinion.
Men can not respect me for having had more than one sexual partner, as long as they don't try and attack me because of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Exactly! LOL

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And when every man knows that you are the kind of woman who will hook up and have no strings attached sex, you have just become the same thing every male fantasizes about and no male respects.

Not every male. Some of us have made real progress in figuring out how to avoid the gunge over course of our lives. It's not about "she's HOT!" or "she's easy" for all of us - it's about "does that come with it's own dose of penicillin?" with a raised eyebrow for some of us. Same goes for the guys of that stripe - don't try to shake my hand - just stay away. The other side of the room is good, the other side of the world is better.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

People tend to end up with people who share there values.
I have had casual sex , my partner has had casual sex, obviously before we met each other, as we both believe in monogamy.
If men believe they shouldn't have casual sex then they are going to find partners who agree.
Men who feel women should be held to different standard well no I don't agree with that, it's unfair in my opinion.
Men can not respect me for having had more than one sexual partner, as long as they don't try and attack me because of it.

I think, in this case, it's not really a matter of "respect" or "disrespect". I can think of no Earthly reason the topic would even come up in a one-on-one over tea - unless it were ALREADY common knowledge, which might not be such a good thing - but then again, I probably wouldn't be having tea with you any way in that event.

it's a non-issue unless the divulging party MAKES it an issue, generally speaking. That carries it's very own level of "uncomfortable" for me...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And when every man knows that you are the kind of woman who will hook up and have no strings attached sex, you have just become the same thing every male fantasizes about and no male respects. Just ask them, and they'll tell you.

i wasnt asked but i will tell you..
i dont fantasize about ladies like that...
i have never been into girls that would just toss it around, casual, one night stand, no strings attached types....not even when i was in my teens and 20's.
it has always turned me off.

i have never had a one night stand. i have never had a sex buddy...

its a total turn off for me....

then again, i have not had many relationships either....that never bothered me....

even when i was in high school. you know when hormones were supposed to be raging.....
i never wanted anything to do with the cheerleader type or the loose girl type...the girl that had already had been with a ton of guys or the girl that always had to have a boyfriend.....

i was into the girl that hung out by herself in the library and liked to go to the book store....

not all guys are like that....i know a lot are but not me.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

My god people have you never heard of safe sex, wear a condom for god sake.
But i can't believe how personally insulting you've got because I admitted to having casual sec. Nice.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join