It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enforce a Maximum Wage!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

Why not enact a wealth maximum; everyone who goes over that maximum will have all their assets confiscated at death and redistributed to the poor. What do you think of that Jess? Or how about putting a cap on personal lawsuits of 50,000 dollars. That would keep people from getting wealthy off suing widows.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
a reply to: Mirthful Me

Having multiple sources of income that together lead to higher then average earnings, like your example of athletes earning money through endorsements, etc, is different than a CEO that earns 800x the average American from only one source of income. I'm proposing that the earnings coming from each 'job' need to be limited by the maximum wage.

Okay, let's focus on the highest paid athlete, Floyd Mayweather, who raked in $105 million with none of it coming from endorsements... What would be a fair wage for Pretty Boy Money? Remember, he has to be able to make it rain on a regular basis...

Conversely, Richard Kinder of Kinder Morgan? His salary is $1.00, but he's #4 in total compensation, what to do? Marx and Engels know...

How about #2 on the list, Ralph Lauren?

His company, his name, he IS Ralph Lauren... What are you going to take from him? Yes, I know they are publicly traded.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
No fair. I eat the ability to earn billions of dollars, squander it then become a total miser when someone asks for a penny.

But really I support the right to make whatever amount I money you want but when you have things like the 1% and crazy amounts of homelessness and joblessness one wonders if there should in fact be a limit.

Many end up hoarding their money. So many have so much they don't know what to do with it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoneGunMan
The stock holders got a huge payday? What about the average employees that are the backbone of the company? Did they get a piece of the action? Whatever happened to compesaring the hard working Joe who used to be the middle class?

I don't know the details. But part of the turn-around plan (by the new CEO) was employee retention. Toward that end, they instituted a pretty solid ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) program to incentivize people not to jump ship.

So it's highly probable that, not only did they not lose their jobs, they also had a nice payday from the acquisition.

edit on 14-11-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Instead of a maximum wage, I'd like to see each separate corporation, partnership and sole-proprietorship held to a relative wage wherein the lowest paid employee cannot earn less than 1/20th the wage of the highest paid employee on a hourly basis. I'd also like to see a mechanism whereby heavily automated industries are taxed into a redistributive fund that paid out a refundable tax credit equally to all citizens who are below the federal poverty line. To qualify for the tax credit, you must have worked at least 20 hours per week for three quarters of the year this way it doesn't deincentivize entry level labor.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I propose a salary cap on all wrestlers. You should not be able to make millions of dollars in fake wrestling matches that are ripping off the consumer with fake bouts. Just because you're big and talk tough does not justify the amount of money you make. It doesn't matter if you are a better wrestler than the next guy or if you have macho charisma. Wrestler's salaries ought to be capped at the average annual wage of a librarian.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Very interesting solution

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Why is it people say that wrestling is fake but have no problem with the Harlem globetrotters?

Besides, wrestlers are like actors. The more butts they put in seats, the more they get paid.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I'm not too knowledgeable on these sort of matters but limiting salary might make the job less appealing to those CEOs who do great jobs. Also, unlike sports, a company in one industry is not comparable to a company in an unrelated industry, therefore restricting the high end could create unforeseen issues.

For example, a CEO in minerals and a CEO in bubble wrap are so far apart in terms of relation to each other that to put them both on the same pay scale is not logical.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Schuyler, I like you but I think you're aiming your anger at the wrong person here. Do I agree with Jessie? Not really. I do believe that CEO's of major companies are making a disproportionate amount of money to the people who actually grind the gears and make companies run. I believe if more CEO's and "big shots" actually got involved with the hands on stuff, they'd realize that this work is valuable to the company and deserves credit. How much credit? Well, that is up to them I guess?

If anyone should see an enforcement of a maximum wage allowance, how about we impose this on Banks & Oil companies? They seem to continually make Billion's of $ profit on a quarterly basis. Why hack at the leaves when we can hack at the stem.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think the answer lies in taxing wealth instead of income. Once you get past , say $3 million in assets, you starting paying a couple percent a year. Past $50 million you pay about 5%. Above $100 million you pay 7.5%. Above $250 million you pay 10%. Eliminate the income tax and estate tax altogether and also any stepped up cost basis on these assets. If these taxes aren't enough to support government then start taxing corporate revenue at a flat 1 or 2 percent.

Since there is a finite amount amount of money, society does not function properly when a few control a high percentage of that money. The end result is a shattered economy and then that money disappears through losses and asset deflation. Better to go to a more fair system, which will also be more stable.

Make as much as you want as long as you spend it. Hoard it and you are hurting everyone around you.

I do think max pay should apply to any government and public corporation positions. .

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I heard this on Alex Jones today while he was interviewing Jesse. Even Jesse said, to paraphrase, "I'm just throwing numbers out there, I don't know who makes what."

Is ATS now backing Alex Jones through Off the Grid? Seriously?

I listen to Jones on occasion, but it's for entertainment value, not serious context. He loses me when he rants and goes off on a tangent...though sometimes I end up cracking up.

Once I saw Jesse and Jones talking about those "FEMA" coffins, they lost a lot of credibility with me.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Great... The Poliburo approves...

Now back to Floyd Mayweather, what should he be paid?
edit on 11/14/2014 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I am in awe of the ignorance of basic economics and business displayed in this thread. The unbelievable comments about 401k's aside...

The USSR tried to make the model suggested here work for decades, how'd that end up? Full of corruption, bankrupt, and mile long lines for FOOD filled with the people who at one time were the hard working Russian Middle Class, that's how.

For crying out loud, think about it for a minute...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

But it was a "fair" misery...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The Swedish don't seem very miserable.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have one word: BONUS

Sure, cap wages and like this:

While many executives who take a one-dollar salary also choose not to take any other forms of compensation, a number earn millions more in bonuses and/or other forms of compensation. For example, in 2010–11 Oracle Founder and CEO Larry Ellison made only $1 in salary, but earned over $77 million in other forms of compensation.

And many of the multi millionaire/billionaire don't take any compensation:

John Mackey (Whole Foods Market), who also does not take any alternative form of compensation (stock options, bonus, etc.)[28]
Elon Musk (Tesla Motors)[29]
Larry Page (Google)[22]
Mark Pincus (Zynga)[30]
Richard Riordan (Mayor of Los Angeles)[31]
Eric Schmidt (Google)[22]
Henry Samueli (Broadcom Corporation)[32]
Arnold Schwarzenegger (former Governor of California)
Terry Semel (Yahoo!)[24]
Pantas Sutardja (Marvell Technology Group)[33]
Sehat Sutardja (Marvell Technology Group)[33]
Meg Whitman (Hewlett-Packard)[34]
Jerry Yang (Yahoo!)[35]
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook

The wealthy have too many loopholes and ways around to deter paying out their precious monies. And they're not fools so they and their money are NOT soon parted.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

It's the cheese and chocolate.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Wow. Time to get back on the grid… hurry.

That solution has no basis in free market economics this side of the Berlin Wall.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I don't have an exact number to give you for what Floyd Mayweather should make, but I do think it should be one way or the other- either have salary caps across the board or don't have them at all. The fact is though, the rich are getting richer, and income inequality in our country is growing. I've brought up the idea of a maximum wage as a possible solution to save the middle class, but it's not the only solution. What do you suggest?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join