It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children In Need....Do you donate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan
a reply to: liteonit6969

I used to until I found out that most donated money never goes where it is supposed to.

Again that's why I keep mine local, and we usually are giving goods: food, second hand clothing or coats, supplies. Very rarely cash and then never large amounts.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i know the exact moment i washed my hands of giving to people and causes besides what i mentioned.

about 15 years ago i was living in a basement apartment. a lady knocked on my door. when i answered she said her and her daughter were 'starving' and could i give her some money. i said no but if she waited outside i would make her a few sandwiches....
she said she didnt want them...got pissed and told me to 'keep my f'in food'.

that was it for me

i want the music programs in my local schools to keep going so i do small things for that cause....

as i said, i have my own people that depend on me.

i am not going to worry about what i equate to taking away from my family to give money for malaria nets in africa or stray animals.....none of it

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

'CHILDREN IN NEED' was a good cause originally .....

It has now been going for 32 years!!! .... a third of a century!!!

In that time raising £625,836 million .... and we are still being subjected

to daily onslaughts of adverts of starving children in Africa.

Surely by now and with the money raised and other charitable agencies some

provision of the basics to stave off starvation should have been achieved

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: smyleegrl
If you want to help children in need....donate supplies to your local Title 1 school. Title 1 schools (this is in the US) have a high percentage of students who live in poverty. Donate books, paper, supplies, anything you can think of will be used by the students and teachers.

THIS

It is the only way I can think of that will make sure a kids life is improved. If you don't have money, donate time. Assuming you aren't a felon, most schools are always in need of volunteers for all manner of things.

I don't donate to organizations. Organizations tend to use more of the money for administrative functions. I don't to local groups run by volunteers and family members. The wife and I are big supporters of MHMR, and I am also a supporter of pit bull rescues. And this one kid that goes to school with my son. His parents do a poor job of parenting. So i foot the bill for a majority of his social life. paying for movies, bowling, dinner with his friends, etc. He's a good kid. I like to see him included in the peer group.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't donate to children in need but would and do donate to those having a hard time locally and occasionally via social media.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
And this one kid that goes to school with my son. His parents do a poor job of parenting. So i foot the bill for a majority of his social life. paying for movies, bowling, dinner with his friends, etc. He's a good kid. I like to see him included in the peer group.

thats super cool man.
i would definitely be into doing something like that for a kid my daughter goes to school with....
for sure....if theyre a good kid of course.....i wouldnt do it for some hooligan

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I couldn't agree more. Awful as it sounds, charity really does begin at home. I would help anyone I came into contact with on a day to day basis if I thought it was appreciated. However, as with children in need, there is no alternative. Why not open local churches/community centres and let people donate clothes and food etc I think far more people would donate if there was a nationwide appeal like this! Its always about cash.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

One night last week my son was insistent that we needed to have a certain dish. It was the first night that the cold weather rolled in, and he was insisting we needed to have baked potato soup and grilled cheese. So i made it, then found his angle: a girl he was interested in...he wanted to take her some comfort food.

I get used by him a lot. LOL....im only cool when I have money, or am cooking. Or he needs a ride.

Or a wing man.

edit on 11/14/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is a very big and very complex question and I would thank you for raising it, not an easy thing to do.

As regards to children in need in the Uk then I would anwer no.

Although it may raise funds for charity as many others have said much of the funds raised dissapear into the pockets of those that do not need it.

Your post has struck a nerve within me and I think I may start a new thread based on my opinions so as not to generalise the OP.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

right on.
my daughter is only 2 and she already plays me.

when she wants something she comes up to me with the "daddy my daddy" and rubs my beard with her hand...then she will say 'chocolate' or 'fruit snack' or whatever...

when she does not want something though i dont exist and its all about mom.....

funny your boy has the angles already....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

That's a good stance on the matter....( very true that if you need the money more or not convinced the money will get there ).

I do donate..
But more importantly I do something that I KNOW IS GOING DIRECTLY TO THE CHILD....
I paint shoes..
Yep I paint shoes for kids whom are dying or have suffered from a life ending or debilitating disease..
Vans/Converse shoes sends shoes at a very reduced price. And the child gets whatever it is they want painted on them.

I would say the name of this organization..
But I do believe it's in violation of all things here...

If anyone who is a painter or wants info on this matter...
Send a personal mail to my acct name and I will do my best to get it to you...
Smiles...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Network4good.org

N4g
!!!!!!!!!

Glass pockets ... look them up if y'all wish...( requirements for Glass pocket ).

edit on 14-11-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

That much I believe I can get away with.
Research there first..
That should help anybody on a proper choice to help donate..

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

As I said...
Everyone needs to look into Glass pockets.. glass pocket.org. delete if you must.
But it may help where to drop that dime or time.

It helps in deciding who is not in it for themselves...

G! I wish Destinyone was here to provide good measures on the matter!
For newbies... that member is someone whom you should listen to at least once....
You might learn a nurturing skill...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thank you for your committment in the past. Thats a great thing to do! Sadly...these ads for "Save the children" and others like it....is like these rich tv preachers asking for a "small donation" so they can send you the next DVD. Or send you some "miracle water".

Youre BUYING it, plain and simple. As for helping the needy? I am all for it. We all should ..I just wish we wouldnt HAVE to. Thanks for your contribution and reply here. Best MS

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Article in todays Mail on Sunday written by David Craig author of a book

titled "The Great Charity Scandal" the article is headlined >>>>

THE GREAT BRITISH RAKE-OFF ... what really happens to the

63 billion YOU donate to charity ...

# Fat cat pay
# Appalling waste
# Hidden agendas
# Think all the money goes to those who need it most?
# Think again ....

A very interesting article .... a couple of snippets from said article :-

The Charity Commission for England and Wales claims that £53 billion of the

£63 billion raised is spent on what it calls *charitable activities* An impressive

£8. 41 of every £10 raised, and the definition of *charitable activities* is very

loose.

If EVERY working adult and pensioner in Britain contributed £10 per month to

charity the money raised probably wouldn't be enough to pay the salaries

of the executives of our registered charities .

Charity bosses are quick to defend themselves against accusations of

'fat-cattery', but the latest research suggests charity executives salaries

have caught up with those in the public if not the private sector.

*OXFAM appears to be one of the more frugal of the charities, between 2008

and the end of 2013 the chief executives pay rose by 7% to £108,575.

* SAVE THE CHILDREN the remuneration of the highest paid person from 2008

to 2012 rose by 31% to £168,653.

*THE RED CROSS (UK) highest paid executive earns between £200,000 and

£210,000.

*CHRISTIAN AID the highest paid employees salary from 2008 to 2013 rose

by an eye watering 40% to £126,206.

No tightening of the belt.... no feeling the pinch .... not much austerity there!?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I agree with what you are saying and I cant understand charities that offer cuddly toys and regular post to update ou of their work. Would all of this not be better spent on those who need it. I was on a site offering a look at the account of any registered uk charity. Children in need have their income and spent totals for the last 5 years. For 3 years they spent nearly 2 million over there income, 2 of the years they had not spent £15 million and £9 million. There was nearly £19 million not spent. Why the need to hold this? I understand emergency funds but then why the emergency appeals. The message they are given is these kids need your help NOW, but have held that kind of money for years?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
my problem is that whenever I donate, the cause of the donation is never helped. I can't tell you how many friends and family members have given money to other causes, like cancer (breast or other) and they have nothing to show for it but a stupid, pointless bracelets and bumper stickers. Their donations only go to making more bracelets and stickers - nothing more.

So, when I'm asked to give money on the streets by random people, by cashiers at the super market, or just in general, I say no. I want to know about a group before I give them my hard earned money. I get dirty looks like I'm a piece of # or I'm utterly greedy or void of a soul - but it's actually me being economically conservative and being intelligent.

No, I probably won't give. Besides, I have student loans - I'm the child in need.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join