It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children In Need....Do you donate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hi

I thought I wold get a thread going as Children In Need is about to start tonight run by the ever shady BBC. I do have a few charity donations set up to take on a monthly basis, however im not a big fan of this charity and anything connected to the BBC. Am I wrong to question something like this being it so charitable?? Maybe, but with the controversies surrounding other charities I thought id get a conversation on this. There is an interesting article below exposing that there are funds being held in portfolios when should be distributed. For me this is not good enough, these kids need this money NOW, not until they have done research and made some interest back. So what do you?

Children in need holding fund

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
no.
i dont donate...

i have enough people that depend on me.

i can never know for sure if money i gave would make it to its destination so i dont chance it

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Years ago back when I had a great job I would donate to local food banks and the salvation army. Now it seems like i am at the other end of the spectrum. Fun times.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Don't forget all the BBC paedos and the years of abuse that took place at the BBC
I have charities that I donate to and we should all do our bit... but I'd be wary of anything the BBC has it grubby fingers in.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I understand your point, especially when the charity is based with the BBC. I think if intelligence came into it they would have just done the shows and selected various well researched charities. A lot of people see the BBC as a corrupt government agency.

I don't have much money coming in but I give what I ca to charities that I have researched that go to the cause direct. Also I know there are many different causes, but I feel that some charities such as children starving on the street in the third world countries are much more important than sponsor a dog. If there were unlimited funs..but there isn't and its heart breaking that our fellow humans are left to rot like rats on the street. But its ok if you look the other way...don't want to put us off our mcdonalds

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I live in the states, so no worries about the BBC stuff. I have some local cause I give to. Our local food banks, we often drop things off at the local Goodwill, a local radio station runs a Coats for Kids drive every year at this time, we often contribute when there are local groups taking truck loads to do natural disaster relief, another local station does a thing called Hope for the Holidays where people can spontaneously call in a contribute to specific cases of need and the same DJ runs the largest spring biker ride called Bikers for Babies in the US for the March of Dimes.

We give to things like that because it's easy to find out where the money/donation goes. We avoid giving to large, national causes for the most part.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They'll make £millions as they do every year, the generosity of the U.K public is amazing. Yet I feel it has become tainted by being supported by the BBC, particularly as it's a charity for children.

Like lots of charities, it's biggest financial commitment is probably spent on administrative costs.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

i am not required to donate...
i have issues i care about though...

i go to breakfasts and craft shows at the school around here sometimes to keep the music program floating...
i buy a card each year to give me discounts at certain places and the proceeds of that card purchase goes to the music program...thats about as close as i get.

if i did ever give money it would be to something local....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Yeah, that's like unloading that handful of change into the plastic buckets the local cheerleading or baseball or band is holding out at a stoplight when they're trying to fund a trip to someplace or other. You just give them a bit of a boost.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
When you give money to everybody with their hand out , you end up with your hand out.

My wife works at a credit union and they choose a Christmas family to donate to. We always make sure to donate items to that one. We also donate to a local shelter for battered women.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

pretty much...
they hold bake sales and craft shows to buy new instruments or to take a trip....things like that
i can live with that...

i dont do anything besides that though....personal choice

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I don't give to charities.

I have on occasion bought things for people here and there. Bought a hobo a coffee and cheapo blanket the other morning because it was freezing cold and he wasn't panhandling or drunk.

I don't give money away. I will give stuff to an individual in need because then I can at least increase the chances it will be used in the way intended.

Besides, there's no point in giving money to charities as the government takes charity automatically out of each paycheck. Wasn't that the point of SSI and all those other programs? Forced charity so you don't have to worry about giving voluntarily.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If you want to help children in need....donate supplies to your local Title 1 school. Title 1 schools (this is in the US) have a high percentage of students who live in poverty. Donate books, paper, supplies, anything you can think of will be used by the students and teachers.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I used to until I found out that most donated money never goes where it is supposed to.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

If you send them anything they will not take it.. Only money!
That should tell you something about these charity cash cows.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'd rather save an animal, so I donate to the humane society.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: [post18662314]Fisherr[/post]
The daily mail just has its usual ideological gripe about anything that doesn't agree with its own rather twisted world view.
Personally I find it sad that many of these charities exist as they are often just plugging gaps,where we have failed as a society.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Spruce

Im not saying that animals are not a worthy cause, but when I see small children alone and starving its soul destroying that this is allowed to happen. There are a lot of people who live around were I am from and are said to be under the poverty line, but these are people with iphones, go out drinking etc. Im talking about poverty....STARVING TO THE POINT YOU DIE.

I have been quite taken by the aquaponics idea and have started implementing a system out in my backyard. It is not a massive yard but could hold a large amount of vegetation and a big pond. I am hoping to then harvest enough fish and veg to start a local food hand out to those in need. The fish I feel may need to be cooked before hand but I think it could be a good idea.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I have donated each year to the United Way and Emotionally Challenged children.

Dont fall for these tv commercials about "saving the children".

You know the children on tv saying "I-am-hungry-because-we-have-no-food-to-eat! Will YOU be my sponsor?" Yeah. RIGHT.

Some rich guy with a film crew flies into some depressed country in a million dollor chopper wearing nice clothes, grabs some kid who doesnt know him from a child molester... and telling the cameras what this little kid is wanting and wishing for.

Wake up everyone. Im SURE the little kid has no clue as to what a "sponsor" is nor would say anything like the commercial. Polluted water to drink? They know NOTHING else. This is how they live. And your monthly contribution will let the kid get clothes and food BECAUSE you are now sponsoring them? While their brothers, sisters and friends all starve becuase they get to eat and the rest have no sponsors....

These producers fly in and back out and we see the "plea"..."Will YOU be my sponser?"

No. Give those kids a sandwich before you climb back into your chopper and fly away.....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I think that is the case with some charities but not all. I was part of a school charity that travelled to Zambia, building homes and bringing basic rations for them....not these ones bringing toys and useless crap. Seeing first hand the poverty is life changing, and you realise how powerless and useless you are. I know these charities are only trying to help but they aren't the answer, as with anything to fix it you need to get to the root of the problem. And once again we are led back to Government corruption.

I think those in big business and Government see these horrible situations so much they have become immune to them, just another day at the office and just another dispensable peasant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join