It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fashion models strut in United Nations debate chambers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

This is ridiculous to me. Why the heck would it be deemed appropriate to have this at the United Nations debate chamber? I watched the video and I read the article and I don't see the 'why' of it. What is it proving or accomplishing for peace? The Palestinian ambassador and the designer of the clothing said they believe that fashion and design can play a role in promoting peace. Huh? Really? *shakes head*

Israeli ambassador says this:

As violence between Palestinians and Israelis goes on for weeks -- with serious tension in the holy city of Jerusalem -- Ron Prosor, Israeli ambassador to the U.N., blasted the Palestinian delegation hours before the show for not condemning the acts of violence back in the Middle East. "The Palestinian authority is glorifying terrorists and celebrating attacks on Jews and Israelis nearly every day. And where is the Palestinian delegation? Have they found the time to condemn these attacks? Of course not. You see, they have a very important function to attend this evening. A fashion show," Prosor said. "The Palestinian delegation is off to a fashion show, because, after all, they are experts in dressing up and disguising the truth every day," he added.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

Israel has been taking more and more Palestinian land every year since Israels inception.

If I were a Palestinian and having been bombed a bajillion times I too would be promoting terrorism against Israeli's. Then again if I were Israeli I would be promoting the same against Palestinians... The hate there is real.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

Fine. Good point. But..... I was referring to the fashion show in the United Nations. How does that promote peace?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

My first post was without viewing the related material. After just watching the video i'm a bit flabbergasted and have no idea how fashion can promote peace ;-p

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

They are very pretty though. I have to give him that!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Yes i do have to give him that ;-p

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Ever hear of Derek Zoolander?
Fashion achieved a peaceful resolution with the debut (left turn) of "Magnum".
If Fashion will get involved - maybe there's hope.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Recently I saw a show called " Project Runway " that also had their fashion show at the UN. The designer's on the show were asked to design a collection based on inspiration from their native lands and all had a private meeting with the UN reps from those countries. I also thought it was very odd and viewed it as a PR stunt for the UN.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Ever hear of Derek Zoolander?
Fashion achieved a peaceful resolution with the debut (left turn) of "Magnum".
If Fashion will get involved - maybe there's hope.

(In my best Derek Zoolander voice)

Yeah. Palestinian embroidery and Palestinian beading, done in France, for sure should facilitate peace talks and cultural quilting bees wouldn't be such a bad idea either!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Silly as it looks, the UN does have a cultural remit too I suppose. I would imagine there's a bit of time needed between discussions for technical /legal stuff so there's probably a fair few of these little "presentations".

Like cheerleaders on the football I guess.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What bothered me about that video is "They(UN) decide the destiny of the world." Other than that, I think it was a way to show whatever UN members were present that the Palestinians are not 'terrorists' as Israel would paint them to be. On a side note, I think the UN needs to be evicted off the United States immediately, with prejudice.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Palestine is trying to show that they can participate in the global economy too. Just save them from Israel and they'll participate in this capitalist sham we call modern Western society.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
"...but why male models..."
Perfect bone structure, impeccable taste, insatiable appetite for perfection...
If this tragedy teaches us anything, "...it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity."
"...Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. ..."
Another prophetic film...

The next fashion show for the U.N. will be Male Models, unveiling their newest ISIS-wanna-be desert camo styles, and 'looks'.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

"...Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. ..."
Another prophetic film...

Absolutely profound!

LMAO!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

just to rub in everyones face the superficiality of what the UN is

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I can understand that we can admire the creations of artists who integrate the fabric of different cultures in their attires. However, after watching the video I fail to feel the authenticity of both the attires and the artists as a reflection of who Palestinians really are. I would feel misrepresented if I was a Palestinian.

This whole thing is a sham and a distraction to the real problem: stolen land.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Damn fool, (wink) the 'why' is so the powerful have got some nice skirt to perve on during the day and make their day.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

The UN needs to banned in the US........No more funding........No more aid..........NO MORE.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Yeah that does seem weird to me too. I understand the interest in multicultural fashion. I also like to view such things myself, because I like learning about all aspects of other cultures. The whole UN involvement is what strikes me as strange and I know there must be some other purpose.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

LOL you and WanDan are making me laugh with these Zoolander posts! That movie was funny.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join