It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

court ordered to pay for college....what do you think about that?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
i dont see how parents(and lets face it. its mostly fathers) should be made to pay child support for an adult, no matter if they are in college.
it is called child support....not young adult support.

what really fries me about that is if my boy decided to go to college and didnt live with his mother i would still have to pay money to her.....its not like i would pay directly to him....
how is that one fair?

They are not actually adults, there is a reason why Obamacare raised the age of how long a person can be carried on their parents insurance to 25 and why college FASFA loan applications require a parents tax info, until the child reaches 25. The world has changed and people still want to believe the "old rules" still apply. An 18 year old kid today would have great difficulty renting an apartment or getting credit, even a unskilled labor job these day. Being 18 years old, circa 2014, means being a quasi-adult and thats a fact.

Newsflash parents, a kid today is not a real adult until they are 25. The government and big business has already decided for you.

Bad choices require consequences, the "consequence" of having a kid in 2014 means "paying their way", until 25 years old. Don't like it? Don't have kids
edit on 14-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

They are not actually adults,
if they can vote, get drafted, and go to war then yes, theyre adults

there is a reason why Obamacare raised the age of how long a person can be carried on their parents insurance to 25.
this was before obamacare. my step father had my step bros on till they were 25 and this was way before that...allowed to and required to are different things

An 18 year old kid today would have great difficulty renting an apartment or getting credit, even a unskilled labor job these day.
maybe where you live. not around here. my youngest brother just turned 19 but the year before the credit card offers rolled in...he had a crap job too. jewelry store credit card. gas credit card...they can get a job and rent an apartment no probem

Newsflash parents, a kid today is not a real adult until they are 25. Bad choices require consequences, the "consequence" of having a kid in 2014 means "paying thier way", until 25 years old. Don't like it? Don't have kids

so having a child is a bad choice?

im not saying i wont pay my daughters way till she is 25....i might...i might not.
depends on a lot of different factors...

just to be clear again...they are not adults but they can go to war and fight....
gotcha

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
We can't institute systems like those without drastically changing the entire political, economic, and social systems in the US and Canada.

This isn't just a 'education system' that would be implemented, this is a societal system, and everybody would need to be on board.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

so having a child is a bad choice?

im not saying i wont pay my daughters way till she is 25....i might...i might not.
depends on a lot of different factors...

just to be clear again...they are not adults but they can go to war and fight....
gotcha

They can't even drink a beer, but can get shot in war, to who's benefit do you think that is?

Like I said, big business and government have decided FOR YOU. Sure an 18 year old can get drafted, for the same reason they have to attend public schools while being 18 (parents getting fined or jailed it they don't attend). In the minds of government and big business we are their property, being a draft-able "adult" or military volunteer at 18, has nothing to do with the overall conversation. Make no mistake, government and big business want YOU, the parent, to foot the bill until they are 25, they just haven't overtly stated it to the public.
edit on 14-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And if there are no jobs for them?

You do realize how many college grads can't work?

Because they ALL have degrees like psychology, or BA in art, music, literature, ETC.

These are NOT degrees for the 21st century. It isn't the market's fault that there is an over saturation of people, qualified to do nothing.

And if the state starts paying, does it get to dictate what they learn or can they continue to get womyn's studies degrees and other such tripe on our dime?

The other nations who do this, don't force anybody to take anything they don't want to. What they do, is they ENCOURAGE from a young age, kids to go into science and technology, math and engineering.

You know, through an organic learning process. Which leads to less and less degrees of 'questionable' subjects being handed out.

And YOU may not see the value of any particular degree, but that doesn't mean there isn't inherent value. It all depends what you do with those degrees.

~Tenth

edit on 11/14/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo
If I understand your position correctly your argument seems to be that as the general population had failed to take the actions you believe necessary to protect wages (you are right on two of the 4) the only solution is to reduce the population by reducing drastically the birth rate?
This seems to firstly assume that the economy is a zero sum game. As populations fall so does demand. What do you think that does to wages. Your example of the post black death is not relavent as that was an agricultural based economy that suffered a dramatic decline in population across all age groups. Not the same as an advanced economy with a drastically reduced birth rate at all.
You also ignore demographics. What do you think happens when the population pyramid becomes overwhelming top heavy? As a higher proportion of the workforce becomes involved in supporting the elderly further economic decline is inevitable.
There are many many problems with the US economy but reducing the birth rate / ending immigration is not the solution.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo
an get shot in war, to who's benefit do you think that is?

Like I said, big business and government have decided FOR YOU. Sure an 18 year old can get drafted, for the same reason they have to attend public schools while being 18 (parents getting fined or jailed it they don't attend). In the minds of government and big business we are their property, being a draft-able "adult" or military volunteer at 18, has nothing to do with the overall conversation. Make no mistake, government and big business want YOU, the parent, to foot the bill until they are 25, they just haven't overtly stated it to the public.

i dont care about beer.
i am only speaking for myself....
they can go to war..they can get drafted.. they can vote for the president of their country..
another example would be if they commit crimes they go to prison....you know, with adults...not juvie hall.

forcing parents to pay for college is a load

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I'm noticing that we are doing a lot of encouraging from a young age too, and I still see a lot of people who leave college with unmarketable degrees.

But I do have to ask, at what point is an individual expected to take responsibility for him or herself and what he or she wants out of life even if it means paying for things that just aren't all that fun to pay for?

Because I am noticing a trend of people deciding that things they want but don't want to personally pay for should be designated a "right" or "public good" that everyone else must pay for only it is called "free" or "provided by the state." At what point do people stop reaching into my pocket to try to get the things they don't want to reach into their own pockets for but still simply want?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I can see this happening, and here's why:

In the United States you have to put your parents income down when applying for financial aid until you are 24(may be 25). Somewhere around that age. Essentially you are an adult but not an adult when it comes to college funding.

It doesn't matter if you left home at 17 because your parents were terrible and you haven't spoken to them in years. None of that matters.

I can see how it could become a situation where parents are legally required to fill the role of financier. The problem really starts with the financial aid process as it makes it to where independent adults are basically still children in regard to getting loans and scholarships. Your income isn't the only one that is taken into consideration.

If there is an issue then the change would need to start with the requirements in regard to what is an independent adult for aid purposes. More than likely this chick's hands were tied in regard to going to school and getting financial aid(impossible to put yourself through four years of school these days without aid and working a regular job, trust me...I tried)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
. More than likely this chick's hands were tied in regard to going to school and getting financial aid(impossible to put yourself through four years of school these days without aid and working a regular job, trust me...I tried)

out of everything said in this thread, i still dont think parents should be forced to pay for college.

if the parents dont want to pay and the kid wants to go to college and the only way they can do it is to get aid and work a full time job or 3 part time gigs or take 6 years to get a 4 year degree, then so be it.

thats how i feel and im not going to change my mind...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

So the first lesson this student gets is how to use the court system to get money from people. I bet that she will repete this process throughout her life.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

You cannot pay your way through college living on your own working a regular job these days. You have to have some sort of financial aid, either loans, scholarships or grants.

You cannot get aid without putting down parents income until you are 24 or 25. Meaning, you are not an adult for college funding purposes until the age of 25.

If there is an issue with parents being forced to pay, the problem would start with the financial aid requirements in that they do not consider someone who is 18 and living on their own an adult. You have to have your parents income, regardless if you have nothing to do with them to apply for financial aid of any type. Meaning, you have to have contact with your parents enough to get their tax returns. If they make too much, regardless of whether you are on your own or not, their income decides whether you get funding.

That is why they required them to pay.

The problem is in the requirements for financial aid. It has nothing to do with adult "children" wanting and getting stuff from their parents. There is NO option for being independent financially unless you were a ward of the state or you're married(too bad gay adults like me back in the day).

Whether you change your mind is of little consequence, I am simply giving you the reasons on why this court decision forced the parents to fund her college.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

..i am saying i will not change my mind because i dont agree with the reasons and really i dont care about the reasons...
it is not something i agree with and that is why i started the thread....to see if people agree with it. not to find out the reasons....

youre also not really giving reasons why...more like facts of....

you said you cant pay your way these days..you need loans..grants....aid...

so be it...if thats what it takes.....

a lot of kids bust ass to get the grades so they can get scholarships to college...good for them...
what is the incentive to do that then?
i mean, screw the killer grades and grant applications. just take your parents to court and make them pay for it...
edit on 14-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

i know you are giving the reasons...i am saying i will not change my mind because i dont agree with the reasons and really i dont care about the reasons...
it is not something i agree with and that is why i started the thread....to see if people agree with it. not to find out the reasons....

youre also not really giving reasons why...more like facts of....

you said you cant pay your way these days..you need loans..grants....aid...

so be it...if thats what it takes.....

a lot of kids bust ass to get the grades so they can get scholarships to college...good for them...
what is the incentive to do that then?

College students who get scholarships are still required to fill out a fasfa form to get said scholarship. Meaning, until the age of 25 you are still using parents income to get scholarships. The majority of scholarships are need based(unless you're a football player etc). Meaning, if you are over 18 and independent and have good grades, if you and your parents are not on speaking terms...you are not getting any scholarships. You have to have their tax returns. If they make too much, you will not qualify.

i mean, screw the killer grades and grant applications. just take your parents to court and make them pay for it.
You cannot fill out a grant application without parents income until 25. Killer grades or not, your parents are required to contribute until that age or else you cannot get funding. The problem lies in the aid requirements.

circles.

Last response, have a good one.
edit on 14-11-2014 by OrphanApology because: your

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

cool. dont respond.
a kid getting a scholarship and having to show parents tax returns is still not the same thing as the parents being forced to come out of their pocket...
if a kid gets a full scholarship then its all good. if they get a partial then the kid should have to work somewhere or get loans to make up the rest.
bottom line is i dont think parents should be forced to pay...

all your lines in bold are still not reasons...they are facts....

it does not say why the parent has to pay...it just says the parent has to show proof of income....

there is exactly ZERO reasons why a parent should be forced to pay....
if the kid cant cant do it on their own or with aid and scholarships(meaning not parents money) then they cant do it....thats called the breaks.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

So the first lesson this student gets is how to use the court system to get money from people. I bet that she will repete this process throughout her life.

Next will be child support from one or more "baby daddies" (I seriously dislike that term; also "baby momma" and "baby girl") for children born to her as a single-mother. Eventually she'll rope some guy in to marriage, whom she will quickly grower bored with at which point she'll complete the trifecta with divorce, taking half of the marital assets and garnishing his wages in perpetuity via alimony.

On topic: I hope the parents appeal. And win.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

i dont disagree with your post..
i live in the states and here it is not a right.

i would be fine with the gov footing the bill for people to go to college.
my issue is forcing parents to pay for their adult offsprings education.

its just not right.

Until you are 25 your parents income is counted against you when calculating your expected financial contribution from grants, student loans, and so on. How is it right for her parents income to count against her, but her parents income to not supplement her?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
. More than likely this chick's hands were tied in regard to going to school and getting financial aid(impossible to put yourself through four years of school these days without aid and working a regular job, trust me...I tried)

out of everything said in this thread, i still dont think parents should be forced to pay for college.

if the parents dont want to pay and the kid wants to go to college and the only way they can do it is to get aid and work a full time job or 3 part time gigs or take 6 years to get a 4 year degree, then so be it.

thats how i feel and im not going to change my mind...

I attend one of the least expensive colleges in the country, it's the least expensive in the state (it also has an amazing program for my major, which makes it perfect). It still costs $8000 per year. At minimum wage that is 21 hours of work per week to afford tuition. That does not include living expenses. One cannot fund their way through school these days on a low income. By the time you save enough money to afford a semester of classes, tuition rates will rise again. They have spiraled out of control and go higher every year. A 4 year plan or a 6 year plan, neither is possible in the current economic system. The only options are to already have a good paying job, or to qualify for loans. Neither of which this girl can do.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
We have something similar in Hawaii. When there is an issue over child support (and college cost is brought up) the judge will rule that both parents have to each pay 50% of tuition (while the child is a full time student and up until the age 24, or if the child becomes married, or if the child has a child of their own, or if the child enlist in the military) or the judge will rule to revisit the issue when the time comes for the child to attend higher education. I believe this is to prevent both parents from not helping the child (since adults can be selfish or immature) or to prevent one parent from persuading the child to attend a college based on educational expenses.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
How is it right for her parents income to count against her, but her parents income to not supplement her?

its not right.
parents income should not count against her

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join