It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

court ordered to pay for college....what do you think about that?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
i dont have a link but i just heard it 10 minutes ago on a radio talk show.
i guess its called the newberg law....this is new jersey..

so a 21 year old girl who has not talked to her parents in 2 years took them to court about paying for her college...the judge ordered the parents to 'contribute'......
what i dont get though is as they talked about the story, they mentioned that this law is written towards divorced parents...
why should that matter?

so in new jersey there is a law that states divorced parents are required to 'contribute' to their kids college...

im not a fan of this...

i didnt think college was a right...more a privilege...

the parents said that there were going to pay for college but the girl didnt want to follow their rules and live with one of them so they said no...

i wonder how does it work..
would they be forced to help pay for her to go to any school?
a major of her choice?
would she have to keep a certain gpa?

i think if people can and want to pay for their kids college then of course they should. if they cant or dont want to i dont think they should be forced to....

im not sure how it is in my state but this is sort of in the same realm...my son just turned 18 but has not graduated yet. im responsible for child support till he graduates.....ok, fine

i just found out though that if he was to go to college i would have to keep paying till he turns 21, even if he does not live with his mother....now what is up with that?
i would have to keep paying her because he is in college????
----------------

i just dont get some of the laws.....

i dont think a parent should be forced to pay for or contribute to college.....
how about you?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Link

I think college should be affordable- and lawyers should be banned

edit:
parents need to contribute 16k a *year*

Wow- I wish I made enough money to have 16k a year to spend on something after my bills were paid.
edit on 14-11-2014 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

The state should pay for all college tuition costs.

It's an investment in the future of your workforce. Just make them sign a contract that states they will work within the country for X number of years after they graduate.

This story in particular? Not a fan of courts telling people what to do with their money.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Link

I think college should be affordable- and lawyers should be banned

edit:
parents need to contribute 16k a *year*

Wow- I wish I made enough money to have 16k a year to spend on something after my bills were paid.

ordered to pay 16k a year....
i think college should be affordable too. i dont think that parents should be court ordered to pay for it.
they should be able to decline paying for college for whatever reason they choose

no matter if it is a financial hardship or they just dont want to

i dont care if the parents made a million dollars a year. i dont think they should be forced to pay for college...
edit on 14-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I like this idea far better than My having to pay for another's healthcare, at least these folks KNOW their daughter.. I don't have any say in how Joe Blow sits on the couch and sucks beers and eats crap for dinner w/ZERo exercise, yet I get to contribute to that.. (My Health Insurance is now costing me $1207/month and I'm medically retired and Health Insurance was part of the settlement...)

I agree with the typer from Topeka.. Do away w/the lawyers. It was the lawyers who has made both our rants 'valid'...

I'm 51 now and have been retired for 10 years and before I started My "career" I went to College for 9 years. I LOVE College, I hope the daughter goes longer than I did...

namaste
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: spelling 'fo paw' nee: Faux Pas

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
How about kids do like they used to do and either get scholarships or work their way through college themselves. Higher education is a privilege and not a right for anyone. I think the court is dead wrong on this decision. I think they are even more dead wrong because this girl is in her twenties. You can legally kick them out of your house at 18, but you need to pay for college at 21??

Nope. I would be tempted to quit my job and sell all my assets before she got a penny from it for college. It's the principle of the matter.

I can't wait until they start telling parents that they need to pay all of their kid's medical costs when they are in their 30's.

I almost can't wait until this entire entitled generations parents die off....

The world may cease to spin as the me, me, me hits the fan.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

im with you....i said it in my first post that college is not a right.

i would like to know how they came up with the 16k figure and if she can go to any school and major in what she wants..

gpa anyone?

whats to stop her from going to college to join the party frat and pass it around for a couple years? the parents would have to pay for her to do that...

really crappy

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Seeing how the girl was legally an adult the parents shouldn't have to pay anything unless they wanted to. Their lawyer must have really sucked at their job to have lost this case.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

im with you....i said it in my first post that college is not a right.

i would like to know how they came up with the 16k figure and if she can go to any school and major in what she wants..

gpa anyone?

whats to stop her from going to college to join the party frat and pass it around for a couple years? the parents would have to pay for her to do that...

really crappy

They probably averaged out their income like they do for child support and made the judgment. I'm thinking her grandparents were so eager to take her on and help her do this... They should have been just as eager to pay for college themselves. Even if they'd been awful parents, they still should not be made to pay for college. Especially not for a grown woman who is plenty old enough to fend for herself.

I grew up not EVER thinking that my parents would, could, or should pay for my higher education had I decided to attend college. It never crossed my mind that they should have paid for it. Therein lies the difference from one generation to the next.

I didn't expect them to pay for my first car, I didn't expect them to pay for my wedding.

This is a slippery slope IMO. As much as I hate the analogy. Will parents be forced to buy their child a car down the road? Will they be forced to pay for weddings and honeymoons one day? We are a society that is increasingly confusing the differences between needs, wants, and luxuries. It seems that everything is a need these days.
edit on 11/14/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

im the same....
i didnt expect any of that and i didnt get it..does not mean they were bad parents
i paid for my first car..

i expected food and clothes and thats what i got.

i got what they could afford.....

sometimes it was name brand stuff. sometimes not....thats just the way it was.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

i didnt think college was a right...more a privilege...

Education is a right for everyone. Privileges are for the rich.

Peace

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

it is peoples right to get a high school education.
its not a right to get to go college

thats how i feel anyway..

where would the line be drawn?

a community college?
a vocational school?
johns hopkins medical school?
ivy league?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Ahhh, child support. You are in the home stretch, so hang in there! I paid out the nose for many years. And yes, if the kid is in school, you have to pay a little longer. In my home state, I think it was only to the age of 19. But forcing parents to pay for college is a scam. College is not a right.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My whole life my parents saved to send their kids to college.

Then it turned out my older brother was a high-school dropout, so the money went to me- they had managed to save about six grand.
I gave it back- my whole college education was about 18k, and I paid for it out of pocket with a full time job- but living with my parents the whole time made it plausible, as I didn't have to pay room and board as long as I was a full time student.

The money went towards my little sisters 40k/year education, which is essentially worthless.

I don't understand how we've let the education system become such a mess- but I don't understand how we've let everything else become such a mess, either.

40k a year for a college education in a subject that doesn't have paying jobs. There's a smart move.
Then again, what do you expect? Kids are pampered and led by the nose their whole lives, protected by helicopter parents, given whatever they want for some twenty years... and then suddenly expected to plan and execute the rest of their lives in the span of a few months.

I caught a sniff of this bull# early in highschool and planned ahead just a bit more than my fellow students- while most of them are just now starting to get out of the fast food business, I've been in a career for a decade... but now I'm catching onto the fact that this was a trap, too...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: jude11

it is peoples right to get a high school education.
its not a right to get to go college

thats how i feel anyway..

where would the line be drawn?

a community college?
a vocational school?
johns hopkins medical school?
ivy league?

Why don't we ask the numerous nations who have FREE post secondary education?

Those nations are outranking the US in virtually every field but debt per citizen. They are the ones getting all the good manufacturing jobs, they are the ones creating products and exporting them to nations like yours and mine in Canada.

It's pretty much a proven point that a highly educated populace is much better equipped to handle everything that's thrown at them.

Like I said earlier, it's a smart investment on the part of ANY government to create productive, tax paying members of society.

Economies are largely driven by large purchases, such as cars or homes. If you are out of university, and stuck with 100 thousand dollars of debt, how are you supposed to afford those big ticket items?

You can't, and so the cycle of perpetual debt and poverty continues and your country stagnates.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think it sends the right message to parents, but the wrong message to kids. Here's what I mean:

Do we really need anymore children being born or immigrating to the United States? NO

Every child born or entering the county as an immigrant means, wages being driven down by employers due to oversupply of labor and older workers experiencing ever increasing age discrimination due to oversupply of labor. The "owners of capital" are doing their very best to reduce employment opportunities for all of us, whether that means squeezing overhead and laying people off or making more rules to drive the self employed and small businesses out of the market.

Since Americans have ACTIVELY chosen to abandon Unionization and other forms of Collective Bargaining, regular people have lost nearly all means to negotiate stable income streams from the "owners of capital". The only thing left to try is at this point, is reducing population numbers. Note, I don't mean making people into Soylent Green, I mean, culturally imposing an effort to produce less KIDS, whom are willing to work for less and have no understanding of how the workplace operated in the past, there very existence undermines the efforts of the middle and lower classes to have negotiating power with the 1%.

The reality is that people should be highly dissuaded from having kids, today, the only thing they do is make everyone whom is already here poorer. So, parents with useless kids, that only exist to drive wages down, should get slapped with Obamancare penalties and mandatory college tuition. Serves them right for working against the interests of those already here trying to survive. Kids serve no purpose to those whom are not in the 1%. Anyone whom is not in the 1% should never have kids, they are an anchor in the modern economy that has been created by the "owners of capital". Please be aware, this was not always the case and is a VERY NEW phenomena. If people took the time to see the writing on the wall, they would realize that rich kids of the 1% exist to continue and drive legacies, kids of the 99% exist only to help the 1% exert more control, through decreased wages and divisiveness among the previous generations.

End the cycle, punish those whom are immigrating and those whom have created unneeded children at everyone else's expense.
edit on 14-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo
Unless you have the secret to eternal youth then yes you really do need people have children and or encourage immigration.
Slightly more back on topic I completely agree with tenth. There is an obvious benefit to having a population educated as well and as far as individual abilities allow.
Going to further education should be based on ability not how deep your parents pockets are.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Unless you have the secret to eternal youth then yes you really do need people have children and or encourage immigration.

Americans have overwhelmingly rejected Unionization, the election of true progressive politicians, opposing all forms of immigration and taking violent action against "profiteers". So if we ELIMINATE these four strategies from the discussion that leaves only ONE with any possibility of working for the non-1% population:

Newborn babies, legal immigrants and illegal immigrants destroy the wage negotiating power of the 99% and the 1% know this. The "owners of capital" want to keep "baby making" as an "incentive". In contrast, taxing people who make too many babies and use more resources would quickly turn "baby making" into a "disincentive". Which is why they will NEVER do something like that, because more babies "on the way" gives the "owners of capital" absolute control over the wages of the 99%.

Basically we have TOO many people being born and not enough desire on the behalf of the "owners of capital" to employ them all for the sake of having a stable and safe civilization to live in day to day. The owners of capital want more people born, not simply for "growing the future tax base", but for the true purpose of DECREASING overall wages for everyone. More people MEANS less jobs and pay per person, affecting even the educated and highly skilled. Its actually quite simple for the peons/peasants of the world to start having more say in how the world is run. Simply don't have children nor support those having children (in fact, at this point economically, they should be demonized). The result of such, is soaring wages and diverse employment options expanding for all. Taxing those without kids MORE, per their public service consumption rate, is a subconscious way to influence the birth of more kids. Such a system punishes those whom are abstaining from having kids in their own best FINANCIAL interests and not giving in to the desires for the ever increasing population, coveted by both government and large corporations.

The "owners of capital" OWN us to a certain extent and the only times in history when the "owner of capital" had "less say over wages" was when the population of available labor was significantly smaller (i.e. Black Death). The bigger the pool of labor, the more control they have over all of us. The 1% are playing an age old game called, "pit the desperate against each other". Every newborn baby the 99% creates, the easier it is for "owners of capital" to play the game.

There has ALWAYS been an economic system at work in the USA that limited the number of able bodied workers whom would be PAID, versus those whom WOULD NOT be paid for their labor. The “owners of capital” learned their lesson about labor shortages POST the “Black Death” and figured out from that day forward how to keep wages down and the number of potential available laborers at maximum levels, while forcing these "peasants" to compete for scarce available "paid labor" positions.

In the past when there wasn’t enough money to go around to pay both wages & PROFITS the “owners of capital” simply brought in more indentured servant immigrants (Irish, Italians, Chinese, etc) or used flat out slave labor (Blacks, Native Americans, domestic prisoners, POW’s, etc). The only difference between now and then is that “owners of capital” can’t LEGALLY or publicly have slaves or indentured servants anymore, BUT they have the same pressures as before, to keep their high wages flowing and laborers working even when there isn’t enough “PIE” to go around to pay those laborers for services rendered. The mechanisms today that replaces slaves and indentured servants are the following: longer than needed formal education for basic employment, off-shoring of labor, forced retirement, prisoners and welfare.

Make note, my concern is NOT economic growth for the "owners of capital", only increased wages for the rest. A DELIBERATE cultural shift where "baby making" is reduced to zero, is only bad for the "owners of capital", not the laborers. If "labor" does not have the bargaining chip of Unionization, the election of true progressive politicians, opposing all forms of immigration and taking violent action against "profiteers", then all they have left, is to willingly decrease the population competing over scarce jobs in the larger market.

Parents being FORCED into MANDATORY spending on their children is exactly what the economy needs. Birthrates will fall and wages will increase for those that remain. Economies will shift, out of necessity, to serve those that know how products "used to be made" rather than being made for those that don't know and will literally eat cardboard because thats what they've always eaten, due to not having been here all that long.
edit on 14-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

i dont disagree with your post..
i live in the states and here it is not a right.

i would be fine with the gov footing the bill for people to go to college.
my issue is forcing parents to pay for their adult offsprings education.

its just not right.

darkwing, i am in the home stretch, it will be nice to be finished with it.

i dont see how parents(and lets face it. its mostly fathers) should be made to pay child support for an adult, no matter if they are in college.
it is called child support....not young adult support.

what really fries me about that is if my boy decided to go to college and didnt live with his mother i would still have to pay money to her.....its not like i would pay directly to him....
how is that one fair?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

The state should pay for all college tuition costs.

It's an investment in the future of your workforce. Just make them sign a contract that states they will work within the country for X number of years after they graduate.

This story in particular? Not a fan of courts telling people what to do with their money.

~Tenth

And if there are no jobs for them?

You do realize how many college grads can't work?

And if the state starts paying, does it get to dictate what they learn or can they continue to get womyn's studies degrees and other such tripe on our dime?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join