It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palm Beach Libertarians Plan to Defy Ordinance in Order to Feed the Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Libertarians in Palm Beach have taken it upon themselves to feed the homeless in defiance of the local government. In this time when homelessness and hunger have become a growing concern, these people are doing what is socially, morally and ethically right. I'm sure they will be arrested, but my hope is that there are more to take their place and more after that until there is no place to put them.

I would join them but time, distance and money prevent that. All I can offer is my support and my hope that they can make a difference.

The Libertarian Party of Palm Beach County (LP Palm Beach) met last night, November 9, 2014 and officially condemned the City of Fort Lauderdale for having an ordinance which prohibits feeding hungry people. The LP Palm Beach also made plans to feed the hungry in the City of Fort Lauderdale without asking permission from the City on December 17, 2014. The action was spurred by last week’s detainment of 90 year old Arnold Abbott near Fort Lauderdale’s beach and the arrest of three members of the Food not Bombs group at Stranahan Park, a popular downtown Fort Lauderdale park favorited by residents and tourists. Abbott and the others face fines and up to 60 days in jail for feeding the homeless without first getting permission from the government due to a new city ordinance based on government instituted class oppression.

link
edit on 11/14/2014 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

This is good to see. Food Not Bombs is a decidedly progressive movement in the area from which I hail and has been fighting laws like this for decades. Hopefully as the more conservative Libertarian Party joins this action, people from both sides of the political spectrum can put down their political squabbles and pressure that city to abandon that unchristian city ordinance.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

When the law is unjust, a person who recognises that fact cannot in good faith follow that law.

When the ends of justice, are not served by the means of law, law becomes invalid. Law must always be servile to justice, and whenever that balance tips the other way, that is the point at which one must address that problem, and re-balance things.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

It's sad when wrong is deemed right and right is deemed wrong by the statutory authorities - especially in light of basic human needs, imo it is the sign of rogue leaders in control of government / community and indifferent to the plight of citizens.

Speaking of what the propaganda machine would have you believe is a rogue leader........

A home was considered a human right in Libya. (In Qaddafi’s Green Book it states: “The house is a basic need of both the individual and the family, therefore it should not be owned by others.”)

Education and medical treatments was all free in Libya. Libya can boast one of the finest health care systems in the Arab and African World. All people have access to doctors, hospitals, clinics and medicines, completely free of charge.

ireport.cnn.com...

The US government took care of that.

edit on 14-11-2014 by Sublimecraft because: Thanks to Jude11 for first bringing these facts about Libya and Qaddafi to my attention.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

-Emma Lazarus

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Of course good samaratins, dig deep, go find a homeless camp and hand out food. Better yet, start a soup kitchen on your front lawn. Pretty soon, they will be sleeping in the neighbors bushes, crapping on the side of their house and breaking into parked cars, too.

I'm not advocating starving the homeless, just understand the town councils problem with a "feeding station". Of course they're assholes to sick the police on them. But the people who are trying to "help the less thans" could go about it smarter, just saying.

Before you flame me, I am qualified to speak on this subject as I lived "outdoors' in a major metropolitan city for many years, (seven in one stretch) and I have experienced many local municipal "homeless progroms" first hand.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

We could, you know, fix our society instead of hiding in our little bubbles trying to pretend everything's OK? People hate the homeless being near them because they are a reminder that none of us is safe. Our prosperity is at the whim of our overlords and one mistake or bit of bad luck can destroy decades of hard work and good citizenship.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Well finally a reason to be proud of my fellow Palm beach natives! I'd participate if I was still there! Good luck.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Wow, good on them. Am hoping this can bring forth more attention to the unjust ruling of arresting people who are trying to help. This is starting to go on all over the country with passing these restrictions. This and similar needs as much exposure as possible. Especially as we're seeing more and more Americans enduring homeless hardships, letting these laws pass into effect is overall going to do more damage than good. Best one can do not locally, send support, even if just sending an e-mail thanking them.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Why do they have to be called Liberals? Asking for the bleeding heart comments that will surely follow.

It makes it seem like an agenda even if it is not. They are People helping people.

Individuals make a difference not political automatons regardless of their choice in party affiliation.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is good.

We know that feeding people on the street does not cause homelessness. It's just a kind thing to do. If you want to help people like this, in this way, you should be able to.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It should never be a crime to feed someone. Morally bankrupt people pushing their personal agenda.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Any law preventing feeding of the homeless is unjust and should be broken.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Defy The Ordinance??? Feeding the homeless?!?! Throw these sick bastards in the dungeon and throw away the key!!

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It's a very sad day when the gov tells you "This is your property, you own it. However, you can't give it to someone less fortunate than yourself."

Even sadder when those with no place to go can't even eat.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Starting a soup kitchen on your front lawn Might lead to some of those things... but who said to do that? As far as I know, youre the only person who even mentioned it... then you proceeded to list reasons why we shouldn't do it as if it was our idea! Who are you arguing with man?? I think you've been running for so long... you never realized, this whole time you've been running from... yourself.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I feel really sad for anyone who thinks feeding a hungry person should be outlawed or punished. What kind of human being thinks along those lines.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

From my earlier post…

go find a homeless camp and hand out food.

Better yet go there and hand out blankets, ponchos, wool caps and socks, "AA" flashlights, candles, lighters, individually packaged food like granola bars, cup o soups. Anything thy can actually use. Go find them, not set up a feeding station against the law. You just make everyones day more miserable.

the people who are trying to "help the less thans" could go about it smarter, just saying.

Charities like to make a big noise with their homeless programs mostly for show. "Look how helpful we are".

The cops show, the servers get shut down, it makes the papers, the towns folk get a dose of excitement and the hungry people that showed up get shooed away and made to feel even less than.

I spent lot of time under bridges and not one charity ever came up under there and offered people anything. They put on a good show in the town square and all, but really they aren't helping anyone with the show they put on for their own aggrandizement.

Sorry about that.

Note to others: Contributing to charities is the wrong thing to do for people that are in need. Little of that actually trickles down to the people you want to help. Next time you see a person in need stop and offer them something directly. If only a couple dollars from all the ones you get every day then it is enough. They will thank you and you will feel soul satisfied.

Unless you're just greedy and sit back cheering and jeering others from behind a keyboard.

top topics

join