It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need some help with audio recording/file

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Okay so my S.O. has recorded something on a Sony voice recorder.

I have figured out how to save it to my laptop (doesn't have a card or USB port) and then play it via media player.

There is alot of "white noise" like a constant hum and you must really focus to hear anything.

I believe from my searches on ATS that I need to download a program to eliminate as much of the "static" as possible? I read some folks have used Audacity. Is that sort of a general concensus? I also read that if someone who isn't familiar with doing those type of edits does them, it can sort of mess up (for lack of a better phrase) the recording. Of course, I would always have it on the original device.

So, let's say I successfully save this recording to my laptop. Now, do I have to upload it to youtube to be able to share it here for members input about what he has recorded? Is youtube the only resource? I read that there was a time you could upload audio files directly to ATS. But no more?

Any help is appreciated. I am considering calling around and inquiring if someone in the area can extract it off of the device for me.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
I believe from my searches on ATS that I need to download a program to eliminate as much of the "static" as possible? I read some folks have used Audacity. Is that sort of a general concensus?

Many audio editing applications come with 'noise reduction' or similarly named capabilities. Mathematically the results are generally comparable.

I also read that if someone who isn't familiar with doing those type of edits does them, it can sort of mess up (for lack of a better phrase) the recording. Of course, I would always have it on the original device.

Just keep a copy of the file.

If you're unfamiliar with what you're looking at you might accidentally damage part of the signal which is of interest to you or the like. Just don't over write the original file.

So, let's say I successfully save this recording to my laptop. Now, do I have to upload it to youtube to be able to share it here for members input about what he has recorded? Is youtube the only resource?

There are many file sharing websites and 'clouds' that can be used for these types of purposes. Which one to use is usually based on personal preference, purpose, and often file size. Free ones in particularly are usually limited to a gig or thereabouts. Sometimes even less.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

If you're unfamiliar with what you're looking at you might accidentally damage part of the signal which is of interest to you or the like. Just don't over write the original file.

So, by "over write" do you mean edit...? Trying to reduce the noise?

Thanks for responding by the way!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Depending on how good you are at adaptiing to new software you may be better off uploading the file as is and asking a musical member to do it for you.

Music software is pretty complex these days and you could struggle to achive the result your looking for.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Generally speaking removing white noise can be done with noise reduction features on audio editing software, as another member posted. However, this will not actually remove ALL the noise, as you have probably recorded in a very audio UN FRIENDLY room. Not your fault by any means

Another way of reducing white noise would be extensive and focused EQing on the specific range of frequencies the noise covers, however you will loose some vocal dynamics, as white noise frequencies can blend into the vocal range (Dependant on voice and white noise frequencies being similar). if you have a deep bassy voice, and the white noise is at the higher spectrum of the frequency band, you can have more success.

However if you are a complete noob to audio editing and recording, here are my tips for future recording

1) If possible, record in a small, densely filled room with as little echo as possible. Shut curtains and door and make sure there is as little other noises being heard as possible

2) Mic placement is critical. Just putting the recorder in the middle of the table facing any direction is pointless. Make sure the mic is facing yourself, or both parties, and within a good range IE, not so close to you that you can hear breathing, but not so far that you can hear other noises passing between you and the mic.

3) Practice practice practice audio editing

Hope it helps.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Would YOU be a musical member and how would I do that?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I know my way around a little and could certainly have a go for you, as far as uploading goes you would need to upload it in the highest uncompressed format.

You man make an account on soundcloud and post a llink in the thread.

Soundcloud

a reply to: TNMockingbird

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: brace22

Thanks! The "mic" wa on a bedside table pointing to a doorway. No other noise, house was empty and curtains closed. It's abig room but it is full of furniture. Carpeted. Long hallway. The only discernable noise for sure other than the "white noise" is this cardinal that keeps trying to fight the other bird (reflection) in my bedroom window. I have tried everything to stop him and he contiues but, that is very noticeable and I recognize that sound. My S.O. just called me and he recorded again.

I am going to download something tonight and practice!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I got myself ann account and will try to do it tonight when I get home...,thanks for your help!

It is odd....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Use audacity, it is free ...what you do is highlight a section of white noise then add a filter...i forget what its called...then apply the filter to the whole track and itll eliminate the noise. You gotta mess with it a bit cause it can lower the quality of the sound you want to come out.

There is a youtube video out somewhere that is really good ....try searching audacity white noise removal

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Regarding the soundcloud account....wouldn't I need to make a "fake name"? My account is my real name. Wouldn't I need a "handle" so you know anonymity?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Thanks! I want to make sure that the recording doesn't appear messed with....It is in it's original state. I want to make it clear that we didn't tamper with it in any way.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I think if you just used your ats name it would be fine, I don't think you have to put any personal details on there.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Thanks! I can't wait to see what everyone's impression is...
There is a "backstory" so to speak but, I don't want to muddy the pond so I will wait.

Thanks for all of the advice!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Do you want to pm me the link then so you can keep it off site until you make your actual thread?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Just always save 2...even 3 separate copies first....so you have them if you mess up trying to edit...save some copies 1st!!!!
Good luck....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

that's not a bad idea....

I will probably do that also because I am concerned about my abitlity (lack of) to edit the recording.

This may be a kind of "sci-fi" question but, is there a way to PROVE the integrity of the recording.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks! I'll do that! I wonder, if I or nonsoecific can't get the noise out enough to make out the rest that I will try someone local who maybe can do it if they have the actual original device

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

If you want to look at this another way? Youre not so much removing or editing out the "white noise" "background noise" or "hiss" as much as you are trying to HIGHLIGHT or strengthen the original audible part you need by adding bass and midrange and volume to it to make it auduble.

Sometimes....just thinking of it another way....helps one gain perspective!

And remember the 3 rules about working with a single file thats important to keep.

1. Make a copy
2. Make another copy.
3. Make a copy OF the copies!

Good luck!

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Well, I've tried several times and I seem to be "over doing it".

I am going to try a little more and then just post the link to what I get.

When I remove the background noise, sometimes it is like the audio slows down.

top topics

join