It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Bioterror Warning from Tommy Thompson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
On Thursday, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson called for the United States and it's top allies to unite in a fight against bioterrorism threats. Thompson, who was taking part in fifth annual meeting of G-7 health ministers in Paris, said that "The better prepared we are, we will be able to minimize the injuries, death and suffering for citizens in the country that is hit,". Short of the Anthrax threat following the 9-11 attacks, bioterrorism has come up numerous times, but not one specific threat had been made.

www.cbsnews.com
"You have to assume that sometime in the future one of our countries ... is going to be hit by a bioterrorism attack," he told reporters.

Thompson has announced plans to step down next month from the administration of President Bush, who has not named a possible successor.

The thrust of the two-day meeting that ends Friday was to share ideas and expertise, but U.S. officials traveling with Thompson said they were also hoping for agreement to help equip and train Asian countries in the fight against deadly flu strains that have hit their region.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, now we can add bioterror to the list of new 'threats' we have been given this week. I have to agree in principal about being better prepared for any type of attack, but the timing of his statements add to the confusion that surrounds us today. Time and time again we have been brought scenarios of terrorism, numerous warnings from the US government, and calls to be extra vigilant. Yet, thats about all we are told. No "True" followups as to if anything was stopped, in motion, or was not even there to begin with.

It's Christmas season and we have had warnings about lasers, sea attacks, and bioterror. I can just picture an alert next week about a threat from Al-Qaeda to attack the homeland during the holidays, with no concrete information as to where, when, and how.

I know Mr. Thompsons remarks where on the side of caution and not an imminent threat, but how can people not tie all these things together. I guess it's just that time of year.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Maybe the fear of imminent terror will get the public off Rumsfeld back.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Maybe the fear of imminent terror will get the public off Rumsfeld back.

I don't know so much if that would be the case. If anything it may be worse. We are supposed to be pre-emtively striking the terrorists yet we still have warnings being issued.

join