It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed's Latest Anti-pot Ad Drawing Criticism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
In a stunning show of common sense, seemingly pliable viewers no longer seem to be as easily indoctrinated to anti-pot propaganda as they use to. On October 20th an anti-marijuana ad titled "Drug Prevention -- Marijuana Use" was uploaded to Youtube as seen in the following video:

As of this writing the current "dislike" or "thumbs down" rating of the video is a staggering 3,315 with only a minute 141 viewers approving of the ad. In the ad a voice-over can be heard over eerie sounding music asking: "Did you know that marijuana is on average 300 to 400 per cent stronger than it was 30 years ago? And that smoking marijuana can seriously harm a teen's developing brain?" I can't say for sure if marijuana will "seriously harm" a teens brain but I can say that a lot of what I am hearing in this video is downright propaganda. And the majority of viewers seem to be in agreement. One Youtube user on Healthy Canadians upload of the video had this to say:

Marijuana kills!

I used to think marijuana was harmless, but thank goodness for this ad. The scary images, sounds and negative words infact teaches me that marijuana is bad and the current government is here to protect my best interests.

Another user goes on to say:

+Healthy Canadians This video is more harmful than cannabis is. I guess nobody has realized that the internet exists and we can look up facts for ourselves. Lying about cannabis doesn't help anyone. If you had anything to do with the creation of this video you should do some fact-checking on the information you're presenting here.
SpongeBob is more hazardous to our children's brains than cannabis is. 

So government, are you finally ready to give up the shameful failure that is the War on Drugs and finally stop this madness of attempting to regulate every single little damn thing I do! If I am supposed to live in a free country it should mean that I am free to do whatever I want as long as I am not hurting or infringing on the rights of another to do so.

It certainy seems as though a good amount of folks are starting to wake up to the propaganda. Even if MJ is as bad as it's critics in government and media would have us believe, who are any of you to tell me I can't use it but it is perfectly fine for me to smoke cigarettes that kill hundreds of thousands of people annually. It is truly a Mad World.

Read an article at The Huffington Post

Please, do not discuss personal use as per ATS T&C

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I personally believe the idea that marijuana affects developing brains. It's also definitely stronger than it used to be.

It's still not that bad. I know tons of stoners who are completely intelligent, well adjusted, and successful.

As you pointed out,people arent buying this Reefer Madness bs anymore.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Yup.

It's potency or negative effects on an adult mind (as, obviously, a child/teen should not be using ANY drug unless under extreme circumstances i.e. Charolette Figi) is a moot point due to the fact that NO ONE should have any right to tell another adult what he/she can or cannot put into his/her body. It isn't liberty, it isn't freedom. I wan't freedom. For everyone.

edit on Cam3Friday3420142930Fri, 14 Nov 2014 03:34:29 -06002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: wording

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I haven't seen anyone advocating use by minors! Tobacco is bad for everyone and so is alcohol, but they certainly are not for kids and neither should weed be!!!

Its a parents responsibility to watch what there kids do, not the rest of us, so just keep the kids out of the conversation!!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I haven't seen anyone advocating use by minors! Tobacco is bad for everyone and so is alcohol, but they certainly are not for kids and neither should weed be!!!

Its a parents responsibility to watch what there kids do, not the rest of us, so just keep the kids out of the conversation!!

It is quite ignorant when the opposition makes claims like "if you legalize it, think about the kids that will have access to it."

News flash: The kids already have access to it. If a teen somewhere in Nowhereville USA wants to get stoned all he needs is twenty bucks and a friend that knows where to get it. At least if we legalize it it can be regulated more easily and then perhaps, just perhaps, it may be harder for teens to get a hold of. Even then, like alcohol and tobacco, it is not guaranteed. The kids aren't an issue, they are an excuse to limit my freedoms and I am sick of the opposition playing the "kid card".

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I'm really sick of all the laws. They have a law for everything. Laws about taxes! Arg! Who allowed this? Grandpa got some splaining to do. For once I would just like to drive my car without having to worry about the man pulling me over. I would like to be able to forget the fact that I paid DMV the entire value of my car in FEES. Then I had to pay more money to SMOG certify it. Take your global warming imprisonment to the thickening ice sheets in Antarctica you douche. Property Taxes? oh, its for the children I'm cool with that.

Song with lyrics from post!! amazing
edit on 14-11-2014 by nrd101 because: added link to song

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The myth of stronger pot is raised again. I've heard tell from old hippie stoners that in the 1970s almost all of the pot, those names of lore (Acapulco Gold, etc.), were of the one-hit variety. Of course they took more than one hit, but the first was enough to do the trick. Either those old hippie stoners are liars, have faulty memory, or, more likely, telling more truth than entire governments.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The utterly ignorant belief that we are all the same and will be affected by something like cannabis, alcohol, tobacco or anything else we wish to put into our bodies the same way is just plain dumb. We are 7 billion individuals with different bodies and minds.

Stereotyping with these kind of things and pushing one sided information as fact has thankfully become an easier thing for us to understand with the huge amount of information available. I am not surprised at the youtube responses and rating for this.

Nature is running it's course and the proof is in the pudding. I have first hand experience of many sides to the cannabis subject and laugh at those who do not take the time to consider more than the spoon fed knee jerk matter-of-fact fear mongering without one ounce of personal experience.

Thankfully, while some will arrogantly don their blinkers and spout the usual nonsense, there are those who win arguments with facts and common sense, you guys and girls here are proof of that.

Roll on, and feart not the fearmongering. Nature ALWAYS wins.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Nice post and I'm so glad to see people thinking for themselves.
Thing is, all these things they push and fill us with propaganda are guilt based tools made to make us more subservient. It's about control and mostly about controlling money.

Tobacco use is no big deal.
Alcohol use is no big deal
Marijuana use is no big deal.

Many people live full and long lives with using some or all of these things even in considerable excess and have been doing so for centuries. The fact that we make a big deal out of them is more detrimental than the actual negative factors. None of these should be demonized the way they have been. In fact, they shouldn't be demonized whatsoever.

Cocaine use is kinda something you should think twice about using often. I don't think I've ever seen a PSA for it.
Meth is not a good choice in the long run, but should still be people's choice to use or not. This is a big money maker for the gov't though by busting those who do use it and destroying their lives even further.
Heroin is a rather big deal and something to avoid as is crack. Again, pretty light on the PSAs for these.

edit on 14-11-2014 by gottaknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

At last, something we can all agree on!

We can choose what substances will enter our bodies, how much we spend on them and at what rate.

But, apparently marijuana is not nearly as dangerous as the bits that enter our NICs.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Sugar is bad on developing brains as well. And stronger than it used to be? How old are you? I'll admit that in recent years quality has gotten better (probably because of growers catering to the dispensaries) but in no way is it better/stronger than it was back in the early 70's, for example. Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Maui Wowie, and a spectrum of lesser known varieties were far, far better than even the better dispensary-grade stuff available today.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well, at least that commercial isn't as bad as the old: "this is your brain (shows egg) - this is your brain on drugs (shows egg frying in a pan) - any questions?"
Yeah, when is breakfast?
Kids are smart enough to see right through the propaganda.
They are far better off to know the truth and reality of a thing rather than blindly telling them don't do it.
That only piques their interest.
Fact is it works for some people and for others it doesn't.
There's only one way to know for sure.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Here's the thing with that. If marijuana were legal, it would be EASIER to keep the plant out of children's hands than it is now with it being illegal. With legality, you have to go to a store that has to obey the law, or risk getting shut down. With illegality, you can just go up to your friend down the block and give him $20 for a bag, no questions asked.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Well it's more that growing techniques have improved. The strains of yore certainly WERE good, but skilled growers took those strains and crossbred them to make them better. Coupled with improving technology, the top end strains have gotten much better, but you are going to pay top dollar to buy one of those. So it won't be a surprise to the buyer that he is getting something better than usual.

So in the end the claim that marijuana is getting stronger is only partially true. Yes, the really good stuff is better, but you aren't going to get it unless you specifically ask for it. More than likely you'll just run into the normal stuff, which was the normal stuff back in the 70's.

Of course none of that matters anyway since no matter how much you smoke and no matter the potency, you WON'T overdose or die. You may be uncomfortable for a few hours, but that'll go away, and maybe next time know your limits a bit better.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
The myth of stronger pot is raised again.
A) It's not a myth. The only thing comparable came from S.E. Asia.
B) Steve is a 'Jesus rode a dinosaur' kind of Christian...and a theocrat, which informs his every action.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It is getting much much harder for people to take these Ads seriously, Why, because people have done there own research. I understand what the Ad is getting at, and agree that teens should not be smoking marijuana. Will it stop them, No. I think pot has gotten much less harmful in my opinion, Why because it is not being smuggled in as much as it used to, by the Mexicans who would put it all kinds of weird things to get it across the border, tainting the marijuana with chemicals that made it harder to be detected by drug dogs. Smoking it would make your lungs hurt, Reggee bud sucked.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
They are cherry picking their 'facts'. They know it would not be legal to give to kids so they talk about kids getting it if it became legal. Duh.

The real issue is not going to make an ad/

HERE'S the result of the War on Drugs
1. Families split up
2. People getting longer, stricter sentences than rapists
3. Kids put in jail
4. Property seized by the authorities
5. Money into the pockets of gubmint
6. Militarization of police
7. Abuses of the populace by the police and the authorities

THOSE are the real dangers and they're getting worse.

They know taking away criminal penalties for anything will result in LOSS OF JOBS - yes, jobs for cops, lawyers, judges, politicians, but mostly COPS will diminish.

Cops will have to go after real criminals
Cops won't be able to replenish their own stash by confiscating evidence
Cops won't have probable cause to run over your rights
Cops won't be able to plant evidence (what are they gonna plant, boot-leg cigs?, counterfeit money?), making it harder for them to make trumped up arrests
Cops won't be able to get their 'violence' off by beating up kids and motorists and minorities.
Cops would have to get a 'real job'.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

AND that's why the police unions, sheriff offices, and prisons are all lobbying to keep marijuana illegal. That alone tells me that the police don't have the public's best interests at heart, despite that being the entire reason they are supposed to exist.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7
So true, the dangers of the war on drugs are far worse than any effects marijuana may have.
But once Federal agencies start relying on certain things being illegal it's going to be hard to change those laws or they lose both the funding and reason to exist. Good riddance I say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join