It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read Why the USS Donald Cook Crapped It's Pants and was 'gravely demoralized' in the Black Sea

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

Oh of course, everything is because the US just did a false flag.

The only time there is an exclusion zone is when a carrier is launching and recovering planes, and that's just for safety of flight, to keep planes from colliding while trying to perform fairly complex maneuvers.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bservant

And revealing that they have them is rung one of a ladder to start to counter them. It doesn't matter if they have something more advanced, it still doesn't make sense to reveal having anything of the sort, against a soft target like a destroyer. You don't reveal your advanced weapons for no return. It's stupid.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

All military equipment is shielded fairly strongly. Starfish Prime is a good example of how well the shielding was already working in the 1960s. It was a high altitude nuclear detonation testing EMP effects, and not a single military aircraft or ship was affected, but Hawaii suffered damage, over 600 miles away.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

A classified aircraft doesn't completely invalidate a doctrine of war like a system able to take out an Aegis would be. That would mean the carriers are completely vulnerable to a guy in a Cessna with a hand dropped bomb.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Because it is a conspiracy site, and I feel like stirring a pot...

What if neither side knows what happened?

Play along...

SU begins approach on US vessel. As it approaches, the US vessel goes lights out, SU pilot sees confused action on deck.

SU pilot flies by 12 more times trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

US vessel is in panic mode trying to figure out what the heck is going on (panic because of the SU concurrence with the event and continued fly by's after).

Everybody is confused, everybody thinks everybody else has something spectacular.

Mouse that cause event, retreats to whole with well earned cheese (I am well aware that a single mouse would not be able to cause something like this).

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Amusingly enough, a mouse caused a delay to a Tomson Air 787 recently after it was found running around the cockpit, so who knows, maybe you're right.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Interesting idea.

However, the confusion would not be on deck, but down in the passageways and main spaces of the ship, with the engineers trying to figure out why their power planet is no longer producing power.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: StopThaZionistWorldOrder

And they're dumb enough to use it on a single destroyer, in peacetime, to give us plenty of time to figure out a counter to it. Sure, because the Russians are dumb enough to do that. I mean why wait until there's the chance for a fight, and surprise an entire carrier group, and REALLY scare the hell out of people, when you can waste it on a single destroyer, that by itself is almost a non-entity.

So what you're really saying is that the Russians are stupid, and give away all their secret weapons.

Putin is dumb enough. He is flexing. I can see this happening. I think your in denial of something that is definitely possible and grounded in science. Normally you have facts to base your opinions but in this one I think you just don't want to admit it is possible but it is...If we did not design our ships to be Faraday cages then we are very susceptible to energy weapons.

It does not take much to disrupt electronics especially if your overflying something. The good thing is that this would probably not be possible at distance and if we were at war that Plane would not have been allowed to get anywhere near this ship.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

All military equipment is shielded fairly strongly. Starfish Prime is a good example of how well the shielding was already working in the 1960s. It was a high altitude nuclear detonation testing EMP effects, and not a single military aircraft or ship was affected, but Hawaii suffered damage, over 600 miles away.

oops there you go! I spoke to soon. You always have some facts heh.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: StopThaZionistWorldOrder
a reply to: SubTruth
You guys remind me of these GI Joe defense contractors that thinks the US military is invincible. The more sophisticated an electrical system the easier it is to attack it doesn't take an Einstein to figure this out.
Once again, The Russians probably have all types of electrical warfare weapons that the World has not seen or will be prepared for you really think the U.S. can stop electrical warfare attacks? Wow. I love the USSA as much as the next guy but let's be real.

I would say the nation whose Black budget is larger than the Russians entire military budget has a lot more tools in the shed no one has seen used than they do. I'd agree the Russians have some but by making a show of force and trying to prove they can still even reach us with bombers or strike places like Australia they are giving away their hand, they are scared...

Block an electrical attack? probably no... but realize all wars are won by new methods of warfare emerging, you can never rule out the possibility that the Russians have some tricks up their sleeves, but there isn't much in the way of poker face here... we simply wouldn't be being as ballsy as we are if we weren't convinced what we have under cover could wipe them and leave us intact, I can only guess, but my guess would be our military shuttle can carry an emp which far from being able to stop an aegis at that altitude would stop Russia, I doubt Cheeny left office without seeing that a few satellites armed with his "Rods from god" went into orbit even if it violates treaties, pretty sure Haarp was a test of the utilization of the cell phone system for anti ballistic missile purposes, Fel Laser systems are working... and that's the stuff Popular science talks about...

I highly doubt with the kind of Black budget we run, we care much at all about the military we show the world, i'd wager by actions being taken we have the tools to end a nation the size of Russia in minutes and could care less if they can scramble an Aegis... By action and behavior, we probably have a new generation super weapon backing us up, we can be "mad" at the insidiousness of our govt if we like, but be sure they aren't crazy, a couple of hundred billion a year set aside for black projects, while we continually buy up the best minds in the world to work on them is the REAL of what we are working with...The entire Russian Budget pales to what we spend on what we can't even talk about. That's FACT, not speculation...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

A classified aircraft doesn't completely invalidate a doctrine of war like a system able to take out an Aegis would be. That would mean the carriers are completely vulnerable to a guy in a Cessna with a hand dropped bomb.

let's not forget in a wartime scenario... why the hell would an Aegis let the plane get close enough to use it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit
All that matters is ROI.

ROI in Russia, China, India, etc is substantially higher than ROI in western nations.

I don't need to spend the same value when I can employ 5 engineers for the same price that it costs you to employ one.

Be very concerned when a country like China starts spending about 1/10th what the US does, or Russia spends about 1/5th what the US does.

China currently spends around 1/3rd of what the US does, and Russia currently spends around 1/7th what the US does.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wow that is really interesting...I had no idea....makes me wonder then if this is true ....and it really did happen then is this even emp or something entirely different..once again..if it happened.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Theoretically it could have been a microwave weapon, but that would have caused physical damage, requiring a shipyard crew to repair it, because of the amount of time, and the number of parts that would be required to repair it. Yet the Cook didn't go to a shipyard after returning from patrol, or show evidence of a major repair operation underway.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

There's a major difference between an EMP weapon, and an electronic warfare jamming/spoofing weapon.

The first is probably a one shot, and requires a missile & explosives and is intended to create physical damage.
The second doesn't create damage but is intended to scramble signals and reduce effectiveness of enemy tracking & communication systems.

In practice, in a major shooting war, all surface ships are targets to subs, and have a short half-life.

By the way, this reminds me of a story. Way back in Stalinist times in the USSR, the government played the US film "Grapes of Wrath" in Russian translation, intending to show the cruelty of American capitalism and how it treated the poor farm workers. What did the Soviet peasantry learn from the film? In the USA, even a poor migrant farm worker owned his own truck.

What's the equivalent point here? A destroyer was in the Black Sea, and not Chesapeake Bay.

edit on 14-11-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-11-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So what you're really saying is that the Russians are stupid, and give away all their secret weapons.

For once I agree with you ... not likely.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

For once I agree with you ... not likely.

Actually.....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The Soviets didn't try to develop that into a weapon though. It's one thing to give away a mathematical formula, and another to have a fully developed weapon system that no one knows about, and to use it on a soft target.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Just like my childhood in the 60s and how Russians were oppressors .yadda,yadda.

Same old game we won the last one.
Just an old bear getting long in the tooth expressing his last KGB roar.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It seems you are all ignoring a problem with EMP. It isn't directional. Power drastically drops off by distance. If it was output from an aircraft why wasn't the aircraft effected? Ships lose power once in a while. It happens to all systems.
Under war time scenarios AEGIS could have and would have taken the plane out a long ways off.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join