It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 year old man in Florida, arrest again three times!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
source

Only one day after being arrested for feeding the homeless, a 90-year-old man was back at it on Wednesday and found himself under arrest once again.

Hey can I claim this dude as my new grandpa? No seriously this old man believes in what he's doing and I admire him for that. Maybe someone will start a go fund me campaign and get this guy a lawyer. I would donate.

Adding another link, apparently this has gotten some real attention and police officers are quitting and getting fired for not arresting him, also bringing the mayor into the picture.

source

Abbott’s been cited with a criminal violation three times since the city’s ban on “public food sharing” went into effect Oct. 22. His most recent arrest came Wednesday night, according to WSVN.com.

edit on 11/13/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Here is an idea:

As a prerequisite for accepting elected public office, politicians MUST spend 24 hours with a person/ family in EACH class (full immersion... no cheating): Upper, Upper middle, Middle, Lower Middle, Poor, Destitute, Homeless.

They may show more compassion if they experience it themselves.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Pay them the median income of the area problem solved.
edit on 11/13/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
We could also impose income limitations. For example, let's say a public office pays 100k per year, no one may run for that office that has a higher income. Gets rid of the corporate stooges, and multi-millionaire , self-made, nanny state social engineers...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

No I want successful business minded scientist in office. No cap to their income but it has to be the median.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It would seem there is a reason that many cities in the US of A are outlawing the feeding of the poor, Marbut Consulting is telling them it is part of reducing the homeless on the streets:

NPR - Consultant On Homelessness: Cities Enable The Poor

MARBUT: If you give cash out on the street, generally of about 93 percent of it goes to alcohol, drugs and prostitution. And if you give food on the street, you end up in a very convoluted way, but still an important way, you end up preventing people from going into 24/7 programming.

MARTIN: You want to link feeding programs with these more comprehensive treatment rehabilitation programs. But does everyone have them?
MARBUT: No, and that's the core problem. So when I go into a city I say if you really want a reduction, we're able to get about an 80 percent street reduction. But to do that, you have to totally retool everything you're doing. You can't be feeding on the street. But likewise, you have to provide and enhance and sometimes create programs that address the root causes because hunger is not the root cause of homelessness.

source

Marbut Consulting
Engaging Communities to Dramatically Reduce Homelessness

List of Recent Clients:
Clearwater, FL
Daytona Beach, FL (was lead agent for 11 cities within Volusia County)
Fresno, CA
Ft. Smith, AR
Key West, FL
Panama City, FL
Pensacola, FL
Pinellas Park, FL
Placer County, CA
Sarasota County, FL (was lead agent for 5 cities within Sarasota County)
St. Johns County, FL
St. Petersburg, FL (was lead agent for 22 cities within Pinellas County and PCSO) - - - Gulf Coast Community Foundation, FL
Haven for Hope, TX
The Community Foundation of Sarasota, FL
The Lazarus Project, CA
The Patterson Foundation, FL

source

That is exactly what some cities are saying with their new laws. Homelessness has been on the rise in the United States for the past few years. Now, 21 cities across the U.S. have passed laws restricting and/or criminalizing people who feed the homeless.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida is the latest to pass one such measure. It states that only one feeding site may be on a block and more than 500 feet away from another feeding site, as well as from residential properties. If people are caught feeding the homeless in Fort Lauderdale, they may be given a fine.

source

edit on 13-11-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Added another source

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

No I want successful business minded scientist in office. No cap to their income but it has to be the median.

Serving your constituents was NEVER imagined by are framers as a career! It was designed as a form of serving our country just like our military!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I'd rather have a grateful representative that votes in line with what his constituents want, than a know-it-all "educated" idiot that serves him/her self or an agenda. Just sayin...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I guess if Jesus showed up with bread and fish he would goto jail?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Out nz prime minister tried this. Only for the lower class. She lived on the dole for a week.
The dole is the unemployment benifit, that any nzer can get if without work. Its enough to survive on.
She cheated a bit though, because she still had the free lunches and free car ride anywhere.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I guess if Jesus showed up with bread and fish he would goto jail?

Only if he turned water into wine , without a valid liquor license... and business license... etc.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

Out nz prime minister tried this. Only for the lower class. She lived on the dole for a week.
The dole is the unemployment benifit, that any nzer can get if without work. Its enough to survive on.
She cheated a bit though, because she still had the free lunches and free car ride anywhere.

I give her props for at least showing the attempt. You think Obama would spend a week in a Chicago housing project on welfare? I seriously doubt it...
edit on 13-11-2014 by madmac5150 because: Alien mind control

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

What the freaking heck is wrong with society when we can't even freaking share FOOD with the needy!?!? This drives me nuts! Just down right evil is the only way to explain this law. And for these cops to enforce it on a 90yo man instead of turning the other cheek, they're just as bad. Good on this old man and his soul.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm waiting to see something ugly staged to justify this law in the minds of the masses.
Remember the candied-apples with razor-blades myth?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This is going to be a wildly unpopular opinion but good on those cops for letting him finish. They don't get to pick the laws they have to enforce. Guarantee they're not happy about it either.

I haven't read enough about this. I suppose I will, but in the meantime can someone a little more familiar please answer some questions I have? Are these laws to prevent homeless people from congregating? Are they concerned about the people serving food not knowing what they're doing (hand washing and whatnot)? Is this gentleman doing this all by himself? He appears to have a rather snazzy chef jacket, is he a chef or restaurant owner?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

i do not know enough about this to answer your questions but to this i do...

Are they concerned about the people serving food not knowing what they're doing (hand washing and whatnot)?

considering the really poor find themselves eating out of garbage bins and dumpsters i would think that to be a somewhat moot point

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Serving your constituents was NEVER imagined by are framers as a career! It was designed as a form of serving our country just like our military!

Political ideals and political reality are two different things. Those who formed our system of government either were or became career politicians. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. Career politicians need to remain popular in order to be reelected in a healthy system. That generally means actually serving the public and doing a good job.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I'd rather have a grateful representative that votes in line with what his constituents want, than a know-it-all "educated" idiot that serves him/her self or an agenda. Just sayin...

People very rarely are capable of making the best decision, especially when their only knowledge of the subject is based on rhetoric. That's why leaders often have advisors that are actually experts in their fields to make recommendations.

It's the job of a representative to hear the information, lay out a plan, and see it through. Voters can vote on those plans.

originally posted by: Domo1
This is going to be a wildly unpopular opinion but good on those cops for letting him finish. They don't get to pick the laws they have to enforce. Guarantee they're not happy about it either.

I haven't read enough about this. I suppose I will, but in the meantime can someone a little more familiar please answer some questions I have? Are these laws to prevent homeless people from congregating? Are they concerned about the people serving food not knowing what they're doing (hand washing and whatnot)? Is this gentleman doing this all by himself? He appears to have a rather snazzy chef jacket, is he a chef or restaurant owner?

They're generally framed in terms of the quality of food. Food preparation and serving has a lot of regulations and feeding people with leftovers generally skirts those, thus it becomes a public health issue. The truth is though that handing out food attracts the homeless and cities don't like having the homeless around for various reasons so they're trying to remove anything that would attract them to the area.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Good for the old man I say!

He is shaming the local government with his selfless commitment to helping the needy. The law as it has been written is not just, and without people like him standing up and acting against it, it will stand none the less. My admiration for this gentleman cannot be overstated.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Pay them the median income of the area problem solved.

Exactly. You make it so Congress is only paid the median wage of their district and Senators the median wage of their State and then watch how hard they start working for their constituents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join