It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a Good Buy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I am about to buy a new computer and would like to know if I can get a better deal eleswhere. So this is the computer that I am about to buy if another better deal does not exsist.

Dell Dimension 8400

Pentium� 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
Microsoft� Windows� XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive
256MB PCI Express� x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
Sound Blaster Audigy�2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
Dell Color Inkjet 720 Printer
17 in E173FP Flat Panel Display
1Yr Ltd Warranty2, 1Yr At-Home Service3, and 1Yr Technical Support

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Forgot the price that Dell is asking, After Shipping and everything it comes to $1,147.66

[edit on 10-12-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've had two PC's built by a California firm, Cyberpowersystems.com and both have been great. My most recent one is an AMD 64 with 2 gigs of RAM, 140gb hard drive, DVD, CDR/W and host of other nice toys for less than $900. You can customize just about everything. I caught them when they had a free shipping offer, it was a nice deal. They offer a 3 year warranty and are very easy to deal with.
It can't hurt to at least browse their site...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I went to www.cyberpowersystems.com... and it appears that they only sell surge protectors.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Gaaa, my mistake. They changed names a few years ago. Should be:
Cyberpowerpc.com

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Dude, you getting a Dull!!

If you want a gaming comp, go with Falcon Northwest or VooDooPC.

They are slightly expensive, but much more reliable than Dulls, and have actual parts, instead of the proprietary crap that Dull uses.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Not really looking for a gaming computer just a school computer. Checked out the three websites you guys refereenced and the cheapest one I could find that was comparable was $1800.00 so I guess for my needs its a good buy.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If its just for school, you could cut that price nearly in half. You dont need a nearly top of the line Geforce 6800, 1gb of RAM, or an Audigy 2 ZS. Thats all just overkill and a waste of money if your just using it for school.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks! I will see if I can't tweak it some.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Be careful if you plan to overclock - just because my old system lasted four years before the motherboard blew, doesn't mean every system is as good.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Dude, you getting a Dull!!

If you want a gaming comp, go with Falcon Northwest or VooDooPC.

They are slightly expensive, but much more reliable than Dulls, and have actual parts, instead of the proprietary crap that Dull uses.

HOLY CRAP!!!

i thought dells looked good

these computers LOOK amazing and what is in them is even MORE amazing!!!

thanks for the links

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yeah, whatever you do, don't buy Dell. You'll regret it. If your looking for a non-gaming system for school, Macs are unrivaled. The base model, the eMac is $799, which includes monitor, or the incredibly amazing model, the iMac, starts at $1299 which is an extremely powerful computer, including flat panel monitor, packed into a two inch, incredibly sleek case. Macs are known for their unrivaled stability and beauty, making them perfect for a student. Microsoft PC's aren't exactly the best for students.

new topics

top topics

join