It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an interesting prospective .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
greetings ! with all the latest on Rosetta and Philae probe . i thought i would leave some thought provoking pics to talk about

first we have the comparison of 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko to down town LA .

scary eh ? could you Imagine the damage and destruction that thing would leave if it ever were to hit ? oh boy !

and the second pic here is of Philae probe looking back at the stars from 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko .

any way i thought i was share these with you , i found them to be interesting and thought provoking .

many thanks

Walsh
edit on 13-11-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Those are cool pictures. The actual name of the comet itself is 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The satellite is Rosetta and the name of the lander is Philae.

If you want to know what the effects of an impact of a comet like 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, try this website: Earth Impact Effects Program.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Dex

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
Those are cool pictures. The actual name of the comet itself is 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The satellite is Rosetta and the name of the lander is Philae.

If you want to know what the effects of an impact of a comet like 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, try this website: Earth Impact Effects Program.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Dex

hey dex ! sorry i corrected my mistakes their , thank you for bringing that up ! as you can tell , my knowledge on this is limited

thank you for your post

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
So let's try to visualise the possible effects on an impact of this comet, using information from en.wikipedia.org...

The overall size is difficult to pin down due to the shape of the comet, but I've gone with 3 km in diameter.

The result are:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 7.35 x 1021 Joules = 1.76 x 106 MegaTons TNT

Transient Crater Diameter: 20.5 km ( = 12.7 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 7.25 km ( = 4.5 miles )

Final Crater Diameter: 30.5 km ( = 19 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 828 meters ( = 2720 feet )
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 44.8 km3 = 10.8 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater, where its average thickness is 136 meters ( = 445 feet ).

Yikes!

new topics

top topics

join