It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rechargeable Snowblowers I Say Are Junk!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's a really stupid idea only some wishful thinker would be able to come up with.
The local paper came today loaded with Flyers for the Holiday season and I picked through them to toss out the crap. (most were)
The Crappy tire insert had a one stage "Cordless re-chargable snowblower on sale for only $449.00 or there abouts.

It was even coloured green to tout the green movement. Then they go on to say that this unit will throw snow 10 feet off of a 4 car driveway!
One charge only needed for this amazing feat. Now if I may, can someone tell me how good a re-chargable battery is when outside in minus 20 C weather and how long will it last?

I think it is better suited to the mid lower states, and then your going to be dealing with wet wet heavy snow.
We have a 7 hp gas two stage blower and it works hard when its wet and it works hard when its dry and cold.
This sucker throws the snow a good 28 feet or so and runs for an hour plus on one tank of gas.
I wonder what the battery costs to replace on this green snowblower and I also question if it is even worth looking at.
I say no it's not worth the money or the trouble down the road, it's a piece of junk that will cost people money and frustration.

That is all folks......save your money and go with two stage gas units.
Regards, Iwinder

edit on 13-11-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I haven't bought a rechargeable tool yet that was worth the money. I store our tools in the garage, not even a tool shed, so the garage isn't outdoor temp, cold yes, hot yes, but not as extreme as a tool shed would be.
They are all a big bust. They work well for the first season, then the batteries start to last a shorter and shorter amount of time, then even if you recharge the batteries after each use, the batteries need recharging again just before the next use. Pffffttt!

I do most of the tool work in my house. Never again buying a rechargeable tool. They have all been a waste of money in the end. The new batteries are very expensive, it would be cheaper to buy a plug in and drag the extension cord around, way way cheaper and far less aggravating. Plus the power output of the plug in tools far exceeds the power of the rechargeable tool after only a few months of ownership.
Gas tools are fine but too heavy for a grandma to lug around.

edit on 4Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:36:59 -0600pm111311pmk134 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I do most of the tool work in my house. Never again buying a rechargeable tool. They have all been a waste of money in the end. The new batteries are very expensive, it would be cheaper to buy a plug in and drag the extension cord around, way way cheaper and far less aggravating. Plus the power output of the plug in tools far exceeds the power of the rechargeable tool after only a few months of ownership.

Well said! I could not agree more with you on what you posted......My belt sander is corded and I wonder if they even make a cordless?
Same for my drill, you won't get the RPM'S if your not plugged in.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I agree. I did buy the DeWalt line of cordless Ni-Cad tools back in 2007 and you'll be lucky to get one cut length-wise in 1/2 OSB today. Using the drills the battery will last a bit longer but the Grinder, SawZAll and Saw drain it in no time. The battery life does suck.

I do like the DeWalt lithium tools though as they last longer and are a hell of lot more powerful, but even then, I only use then for something quick and easy. Good for dry wall and such.

And I just priced replacement batteries for the Ni-Cad tools yesterday. $99.99!

It'd be nice if they made a lithium replacement for them.

Slowly but surely replacing all my tools with corded ones.
edit on 13-11-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I agree. I did buy the DeWalt line of cordless Ni-Cad tools back in 2007 and you'll be lucky to get one cut length-wise in 1/2 OSB today. Using the drills the battery will last a bit longer but the Grinder, SawZAll and Saw drain it in no time. The battery life does suck.

I do like the DeWalt lithium tools though as they last longer and are a hell of lot more powerful, but even then, I only use then for something quick and easy. Good for dry wall and such.

Yep and just imagine what a snowblower battery will cost and how long it will last.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I've had nothing but trouble from any DeWalt tools lately. I used to love them. Now I avoid them.

My Ryobi set of cordless tools was cheaper, lasts longer, and are more useful than any of the DeWalt's I've owned. Oh, and they've outlasted the DeWalts, especially in battery life. Not just the time between charges, but how many YEARS they last, when the DeWalt cordless tools would wear out after a years worth of recharge-cycles.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

You got me curious. I'd never heard of a cordless electric snowblower. Though my Dad did have a voice activated driveway cleaner...ME! "Dawg! Go shovel the driveway!"

But I digress and upon searching saw this.

You'll notice it's throwing dry snow and they really aren't showing it doing any actual heavy work.

Good for a condo maybe, but other than that...a waste of money.
edit on 13-11-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I know a guy who has nothing but Ryobi, both corded and cordless and swears by them. Of course he does interior work and is not building houses with them either.

If I do go the cordless route again to augment my corded tools, I'll definitely be looking at that line. Also Milwaukee...though they are pricier.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Iwinder

You got me curious. I'd never heard of a cordless electric snowblower. Though my Dad did have a voice activated driveway cleaner...ME! "Dawg! Go shovel the driveway!"

But I digress and upon searching saw this.

You'll notice it's throwing dry snow and they really aren't showing it doing any actual heavy work.

Good for a condo maybe, but other than that...a waste of money.

Right you are, And check out the wheels.....cheapo plastic and the thing won't move forward unless the paddles are biting into the snow.
The video shows that unit throwing the snow at the most 6 feet and you are correct that is very dry powder as you can see it blowing right back in his face.
Also that is a new battery fully charged and kept warm till the video started, Piece of crap as far as I can tell.

It is so obvious that these things wont do the job from that video you posted. Who in their right mind would purchase one of these Chinese nightmares?

Buy a two stage gas Toro and be done with it for the next twenty years or more.
I just bought my second one after the first one lasted over 21 years and never needed a new battery:-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Newer battery technologies will help, but old rechargeables that only get used seasonally are bound to fail.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm actually really happy with my newer Milwaukee cordless tools- including the impact gun...

but a snowblower? That's a joke. I've got an 8hp two stage ariens from '85 that would eat, shred, and throw any of these modern single stage throwers...

Having said that, I just got my hands on an old 80's Bolens 18hp tractor with a single-stage thrower attachment. Got it installed the other day and it's pretty scary to watch- I'm guessing it will work pretty well.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Newer battery technologies will help, but old rechargeables that only get used seasonally are bound to fail.

I like they way you think, Good point and thanks for posting that.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I'm actually really happy with my newer Milwaukee cordless tools- including the impact gun...

but a snowblower? That's a joke. I've got an 8hp two stage ariens from '85 that would eat, shred, and throw any of these modern single stage throwers...

Having said that, I just got my hands on an old 80's Bolens 18hp tractor with a single-stage thrower attachment. Got it installed the other day and it's pretty scary to watch- I'm guessing it will work pretty well.

Two of our neighbours do in fact own single stage gas blowers and let me tell you they work ok until you get the heavy wet stuff then its shovel time for sure..... I just can't fathom a battery operated showblower no matter how I look at it.

Great post and thanks for your personal input.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

join