It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just another day in the Bible belt: Video shows bizarre saliva-spewing ‘exorcism’ outside Starbu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Another from "you just can't make this **** up" department....

AN exorcism performed outside a Starbucks coffee shop in Austin, Texas, was caught on video, mySA reported on Wednesday.

In the video, a group of men can be seen with their hands placed another man, who is spewing saliva into a red plastic cup.

“All your legions of poison. All your legions out! Out! All your legions of poison out! In Jesus’ mighty name,” the apparent leader of the exorcism says. “You have no legal ground to be in here.”

I never go to Starbucks for their over priced, hipster coffee. But I might just have to reconsider it if exorcisms becomes a common practice or other off the wall events become common place. I love high strangeness and this certainly qualifies!!!

A Reddit user Umgar took credit for uploading the video to YouTube, and insisted the bizarre scene was not “a student film project, prank, or social experiment.”

“Just the Bible belt,” the user remarked.

“I live in Austin and this Starbucks close to my house frequently has youth Bible study groups and prayer meetings going on there,” Umgar explained. “This is the first time I’ve seen something like this though. I watched for a while besides what’s on the video because at first I thought it was a joke, prank, or film project – nope!”

So my question is...

Why Starbucks? There is an urban legend that the company is somehow connected to Satan.

revealingtruthtoday.wordpress.com...

But I would think that an exorcism would best be performed in a creepy old house or a Chevy Nova; not a retail establishment; I guess however when de demon gots ahold of ya, best coax dem out pronto!!!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-11-2014 by olaru12 because: $^&RJ(

edit on 13-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

And now you know just one of the many reasons I'm no longer a fundamentalist xtian. It could be this man needed the help of a doctor, rather than being subjected to an "exorcism", which probably did more harm than good.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It honestly looked staged to me. If it isn't, i would say that it is either a screw around or intentional actions undertaken by youth/young adults caught up in religious fervour. Wannabe exorcists, lol.

Seriously though, i don't think Starbucks has anything to do with it (other than the fact that trendy people and sheep like to hang out there). If the 'exorcism' was being performed with a sense of legitimacy on behalf of the individuals involved, they should seek professional help. Obviously, their church isn't helping their mental state.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sweeet Jeezus larping on the waaater, sweeeet Jeezus larpin' in the skyyyy...

As silly as it looks to me, I know my own rituals come off just as crazy. Of course maybe that's why I do them in private. Holy larping...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I heard...

If you order a venti vanilla latte...It comes with an exorcism.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital
It might look staged, and I won't swear it isn't in this instance, but it happens on a regular basis in fundie churches all over the world. I have seen this personally so many times I can count them. Which is no surprise, considering I was once one of them.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I heard...

The "Very Vanilla Vatican Vente"

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I heard...

The "Very Vanilla Vatican Vente"

Or.........

Having spent a fair amount of time in Austin.
My bet would be that the "possessed" dude, instead of demons, got ahold of some rancid shrooms, mixed it with cough syrup and was overwhelmed by trip.

Austin can get strange...especially down on South Congress!!

Once during SXSW, I saw a lady strip off all her clothes and have a very intellectual conversation with an imaginary flock of bats. I say "imaginary"....I couldn't see them for parrots and parakeets blocking my vision.
edit on 13-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Is funny, how the girl sitting by the glass wall act like nothing unusual is happening. She just ignore the whole thing.
At least she is supposed to be looking thinking what the f.... is happening there.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
Is funny, how the girl sitting by the glass wall act like nothing unusual is happening. She just ignore the whole thing.
At least she is supposed to be looking thinking what the f.... is happening there.

See my above post...

Odd people and events are ordinary in Austin!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Austin is a strange place. It is nothing unusual to see a fat, hairy old man sunbathing in a polka-dot bikini or to find Danny Elfman passed out drunk in your driveway, to list a couple of examples.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Gotta love the Bible belt. I once got invited to go to this church in rural Oklahoma. Guess I should of done some researching before I stepped foot in that Church. It all became pretty obvious what church sect this was, when they brought out the rattlesnake, and people began falling on the ground shaking violently. It was just crazy CRAZEEEEEE. I had to get the hell out of that place, and quick. It was my girlfreinds mom who invited me, She insisted we My Girlfriend and I, to keep coming, I said a Forced Religion is no religion at all. And that was the end of that. Kind of scary when you witness stuff like that, and people are a 150% believing this stuff. Im all for religion, but im not at that point where im speaking in tongues lol, and putting a rattle snake around my neck

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: daaskapital
It might look staged, and I won't swear it isn't in this instance, but it happens on a regular basis in fundie churches all over the world. I have seen this personally so many times I can count them. Which is no surprise, considering I was once one of them.

What are your personal suspicions or insights about why people believe and participate in this stuff? Why would they WANT to believe in possession?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

What are your personal suspicions or insights about why people believe and participate in this stuff? Why would they WANT to believe in possession?

Xtianity is the dominant belief system in Western civilization. So much so, that it has been, and still is often assumed that everyone believes in the xtian god. Atheists/agnostics/witches, and others are an extreme minority, and don't fit the consensus or the group think. Most people have been raised in a home where the xtian god was at least accepted as a reality, even if their parents weren't necessarily devout xtians. So we are all primed for it as we grow up. Want to believe isn't really the right terminology. Many of the xtian sects have believed in and feared demons historically(salem witch trials, inquisition, etc), and today it's ingrained in the psyche of most Americans.

Along comes the evangelical/fundamentalist crowd to play on those fears, and you have a whole group numbering in the millions who believe in it, because it is accepted by the group as a frightening reality. The same way so many things are accepted in our society without question or rationale.

Personally, I don't believe in "demonic possession" as such, but admittedly, I have seen and experienced things in my life I can't explain away, that make me consider the paranormal, and the supernatural a very real phenomena. Just not from a xtian, or religious perspective.

edit on 11/13/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Xtianity is the dominant belief system in Western civilization. So much so, that it has been, and still is often assumed that everyone believes in the xtian god. Atheists/agnostics/witches, and others are an extreme minority, and don't fit the consensus or the group think. Most people have been raised in a home where the xtian god was at least accepted as a reality, even if their parents weren't necessarily devout xtians. So we are all primed for it as we grow up. Want to believe isn't really the right terminology. Many of the xtian sects have believed in and feared demons historically(salem witch trials, inquisition, etc), and today it's ingrained in the psyche of most Americans.

Along comes the evangelical/fundamentalist crowd to play on those fears, and you have a whole group numbering in the millions who believe in it, because it is accepted by the group as a frightening reality. The same way so many things are accepted in our society without question or rationale.

Personally, I don't believe in "demonic possession" as such, but admittedly, I have seen and experienced things in my life I can't explain away, that make me consider the paranormal, and the supernatural a very real phenomena. Just not from a xtian, or religious perspective.

I understand the historical and cultural influences, but there has to be some sort of aberrant psychological kick that these people get from participating in events such as exorcism. It may have to do with their obsession with "the light" and denying, in themselves, that which could be called their "shadow selves". Note that I am not speaking in a religious context. By denying the shadow self, it consumes them and they manifest the shadow. I suspect the fundamentalist exorcists are as sick as the so-called possessed persons.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Indeed. I think we all tend to deny our shadow self to one degree or another, because of societal boundaries and expectations. Impose a god, and set of unrealistic doctrines and rules on top of that, and you have the makings of the shadow self coming out in full force. You can only deny it so long. Interesting take on this. I hadn't considered this from the perspective of the shadow self til now.

I suspect the fundamentalist exorcists are as sick as the so-called possessed persons.

No argument from me. I certainly don't think I was in my right mind when I was one of them. I sometimes shudder when I think of those days. I can't believe that was me. It all seems like that had to be my doppelganger back then.

edit on 11/13/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
A man feels like he is being haunted by something evil and recognizes a lack of control over this evil. He shared these feelings with Christians he either knows or just met. They decide to pray over this man because the God they follow is greater than the evil inside the man and the God they believe in is the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons. They ask that the evil hold over this man be broken by the grace of God and they are fervent in petitioning the Lord.

I was born and raised in Austin, and I must say Austin, the "Bible Belt," and Starbucks have nothing to do with the actions displayed in the video. These are Christians following God's direction as it is found in the Bible.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthLover557
A man feels like he is being haunted by something evil and recognizes a lack of control over this evil. He shared these feelings with Christians he either knows or just met. They decide to pray over this man because the God they follow is greater than the evil inside the man and the God they believe in is the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons. They ask that the evil hold over this man be broken by the grace of God and they are fervent in petitioning the Lord.

I was born and raised in Austin, and I must say Austin, the "Bible Belt," and Starbucks have nothing to do with the actions displayed in the video. These are Christians following God's direction as it is found in the Bible.

"...(T)he God they believe in is the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons"? How can you be certain that this god exists, that demons exist, that the man in question is possessed by said demons and that this god is "the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons"?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

"...(T)he God they believe in is the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons"? How can you be certain that this god exists, that demons exist, that the man in question is possessed by said demons and that this god is "the only proven force capable of ridding the man of demons"?

You can't. What's your point?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthLover557

You can't. What's your point?

My point is that you're spewing hot air. I'll bet you guessed that. The next question is why would you waste your time doing so?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join