It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8 update problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hello, experts. I got a Dell inspiron m731r with windows 8 and keep having problems with it. The problem is when I go to shut down it says
"update and shut down". When it goes to update, it says that the update couldn't be completed and it's undoing changes made to the computer. It does this almost every day. I'm at my wit's end trying to fix it. Do you have any ideas on what might be wrong and how I can fix it? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

My Lenovo laptop with win 8.1...(my kid hit update to 8.1. grrrr) does the same thing. And it takes about an hour to finally say setup unsuccessful, and it always stops at 10%.
I too would appreciate any advice.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
check the event viewer for any fail codes and then see what the codes mean

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here is a great tool for repairing all windows version. I have used it to repair updates, firewall before and it did complete fix and it's free.
Windows repair

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Lets try the easy route.

First, try doing a system restore back to before Windows began having the update problem. If successful, and the issue stops, then set automatic updates to manual. Then do a thorough cleaning on your machine. Scan for viruses/Malware, use a junk file cleaner such as ccleaner or Temp File Cleaner by old timer. Afterward, do your updates manually, and don't do any of the optionals until the critical updates have successfully installed.

As for 8.1, doing the update was the right thing to do. It fixes some issues that weren't made public in 8. If the above doesn't work, you may have to do something that needs a bit of computer savvy.

One last thought. In programs and features you will see a link to view installed updates. This will also let you remove updates installed after a certain date, which may also fix the issue you're having.

Those are the simple suggestions.

Here is a great tool for repairing all windows version. I have used it to repair updates, firewall before and it did complete fix and it's free.

Not a bad little program. It has it's bugs though, so be careful with it.
edit on 11/13/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/13/2014 by Klassified because: corrections

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I might be somethat is incompatible with windows 8 that was in whatever you had before. With my X-P Pro I had 18 apps that are not compatible with Windows 8..or so they say, sometimes they don't seem to actually know, but the compatibility screen spews it out as incompatible anyway. NVidia is one, Nero is another, the list goes on...and you might need to get another DVD handler. The whole thing is a bit chaotic. For those without enough memory and stuff, they actually tell you to get another computer, and transfer your info from one computer to the other, fecking great eh?
Here's a link to the Windows 8 update screen, you should be able to get to the compatibility tester, and it is there you will find out about any stuff on your computer that needs changed, which is most likely the cause of any update failure.

windows.microsoft.com...
edit on 13-11-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Lets try the easy route.

First, try doing a system restore back to before Windows began having the update problem. If successful, and the issue stops, then set automatic updates to manual. Then do a thorough cleaning on your machine. Scan for viruses/Malware, use a junk file cleaner such as ccleaner or Temp File Cleaner by old timer. Afterward, do your updates manually, and don't do any of the optionals until the critical updates have successfully installed.

As for 8.1, doing the update was the right thing to do. It fixes some issues that weren't made public in 8. If the above doesn't work, you may have to do something that needs a bit of computer savvy.

One last thought. In programs and features you will see a link to view installed updates. This will also let you remove updates. You can remove all updates installed before a certain date, which may also fix the issue you're having.

Those are the simple suggestions.

Not a bad little program. It has it's bugs though, so be careful with it.
Hmm i never had any problems with it. In fact they just released a new version recently.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

sounds like a bad windows update.

go to the control panel.

look in the programs and features.

sort by date.

uninstall windows updates one at a time. reboot after each uninstall.

when it stops doing what it's doing you know which one was the culprit.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: proob4
Not a dis. Not at all. I've just had to fix a few machines that crashed after using it. Most tools have their good and bad. Doesn't mean they aren't useful.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here's what you really should do.

Remove windows 8.

Install windows 7, Linux, SteamOS, or another of a dozen better suited OS'

Other than that, the post above advising to un-install the latest updates one by one and redo them, is probably spot on.

Otherwise, I know the update to Windows 8.1 is done through the STORE app on the Metro page.

If you haven't done that yet, it's possible the updates are failing because there isn't the proper info there.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Windows 8.x update is nothing but a pain. I get "preparing tp update", no cpu activity, no hdd activity, no network activity, and it can stand there and do nothing for hours, until i cancel it.

If i eventually are lucky and get the "downloading updates", its back to square 1... no cpu activity, no hdd activity, no network activity, just stands there for hours!

What i do is to run CCleaner first, clean out all the junk on the HDD, and the registry too. Reboot. Then run WU again, and cross fingers on both hands, very important

Good luck.

Wish the update scenario was like in linux - informative and painless!

edit on 13/11/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/11/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I had that problem before. What I did was turn off my anti virus software (kaspersky) and I was able to update properly.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I own a 12 gauge pump shotgun, that will solve your problem.

Lets see, I think you would need buck shot to complete that task properly.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Just bought some 3" 00 shells for my 12 gauge. Was seriously considering using it

Joking aside, thank you to every one who replied with advice. I like Tenth's advice best. Last windows OS I liked was xp.
I'll be trying all the suggestions, and I'll post if any work.
Thanks again for taking time to help!
Steve

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Just bought some 3" 00 shells for my 12 gauge. Was seriously considering using it

Joking aside, thank you to every one who replied with advice. I like Tenth's advice best. Last windows OS I liked was xp.
Steve
So you have two ATS account's? Ain't that against ATS TOS?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I did what you said and it seems to have fixed it. Thanks

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Thank you all for all the help and advice. You're all awesome!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: stosh64

Steve
So you have two ATS account's? Ain't that against ATS TOS?

Umm. no. why would you say that? I'm confused

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
DISM is the cure for many of Windows 8's ills ...
technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh824869.aspx
DISM compares your version of W8 with a reference, (you have to be online of course).

It can fix W8 update problems ...
www.eightforums.com...

edit on 14-11-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: engvbany

Thank you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join