It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Bay detention campInnocent German Tortured by US Appeals to End Practice Globally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The shocking truth about torture in US prisons is told, by a German man wrongly incarcerated by the USA and tortured. The United Nations has demanded America explain its failure to adhere to anti-torture treaties:

The United Nations Committee against Torture has called on US officials to account for their failure to comply with the anti-torture treaty at a hearing on Wednesday, reports The Intercept.

Source: sputniknews.com...

In addition, the ACLU is pressuring the US government to cease its torture and illegal detention policies:

U.S. government documents released through years of litigation and advocacy by the ACLU show that after 9/11, many hundreds of people were abused or tortured by the CIA and Department of Defense, primarily in Afghanistan, Guantánamo, and Iraq, but also in other countries after unlawful rendition. Approximately 200 people died in U.S. custody, including at least a dozen during or shortly after interrogations. The records show that these illegal policies and actions were devised and approved at the highest levels of the Bush administration – but our nation has done little to make amends for the crimes committed, or to hold to account those who orchestrated the torture program.

Source: www.aclu.org...
Here is an infographic from the ACLU about US torture and rendition policies:

See image in full: files.abovetopsecret.com...
Source: www.aclu.org...

The German chap deserves closure and the knowledge that criminal Americans are brought to justice over their complicity with and carrying-out of acts of torture. As he says:

Kurnez said, “Many victims are as innocent as I was. But they are enduring the torture of Guantanamo for over 12 years because of their nationality, not because of anything they have done. I understand that international human rights laws like the “Convention against Torture” were created so that the people who commit torture are punished. Isn’t that how we can end torture in the world? So why has no US official been held responsible for brutal practices and torture at Guantanamo or other US prisons? I will never get five years of my life back, but for me and others, it is important that the Committee confronts the United States about its actions in Guantanamo and other prisons,” reports The Intercept.

America must cease its inhumane treatment of innocent people. Plus, compensation and apologies must be made too. The whole story is just so shocking.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
you said torture, but you meant enhanced interrogation, right?

Incredible story, but sadly, there will be no justice.
this will just be burred under so much red tape until it becomes invisible.
The powerful never pay.
Vote from the rooftops.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Blister

Let's hope they follow through this time. I hope they take down the whole f*cking lot of them too. Sadistic A-holes!!

They torture, get caught, keep doing it. Get caught again, lie about it, change the name and just keep doing it. Innocent or not. They are sick ass animals who get off on causing the most pain they can to people. They should be the ones locked up.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
In my opinion, Kurnez is at least.. suspective.
I would shut down Guantanamo immediately, but there should be a lawful institution which operates under the eyes of the public and handles those who are ... suspects.

In no way should the American people be satisfied that those are jailed indefinitely under "martial law" - HA! Even that would give them more rights!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Ya. There called prisons. We have more of them than any other nation on earth and they are all over filled too. You'd think we would know something about how to run them.

These places aren't prisons though. They are simply secret establishments that torture and experiment on people. All a prison has to do is cage someone up. There is no need nor is there a reason for any of the other # they do to people. Even if guilty, fine, cage em up. When you start torturing people for pleasure or simply for vengeance then it's time to lock your ass up too.

Legalizing systematic abuse like that isn't healthy for anyone involved. It makes whoever is doing it or supporting it just as sick and as much of a criminal as any other terrorist. There is no Reasonable need for it. Chaney can go f*ck himself and his Enhanced Interrogation!! They should put his twisted ass in there and see what it does to him.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Let's start with this: torture is morally wrong. Ahhhh.....feels good to get that out of the way.

Now it's time for what we folks here in the real world call a reality check.

Do you really think there is any country that does not torture? If you do, you need to be realistic friend.

Now if it makes you feel better to hear a country say, "we don't torture.", then so be it. As for me I'll take the stance that all countries have and will always do it when they think it's necessary.

This is not supporting torture. I think torture is ridiculous, but the world is what it is.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

This is something that really needs to be brought to the forefront, to the attention of every American citizen. The America I grew up in didn't torture. We were the good guys. But now we are no better than the "terrorists" which we fight. No matter what the reason, torture is NEVER acceptable, not in my book.

Yes, the "enemy combatants" may be dangerous, but they are humans and once they are in the care of a government entity they should be treated in such a way as we would want our P.O.W.'s treated.

Maybe I'm just disillusioned, but I still believe in the Constitution.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
Let's start with this: torture is morally wrong. Ahhhh.....feels good to get that out of the way.

Do you really think there is any country that does not torture? If you do, you need to be realistic friend.

Now if it makes you feel better to hear a country say, "we don't torture.", then so be it. As for me I'll take the stance that all countries have and will always do it when they think it's necessary.

This is not supporting torture. I think torture is ridiculous, but the world is what it is.

Well, every nation starting to stop it's own routine of torturing should be praised, right? You can't go around and say "everyone does it, so we have to do it, too, even if it is so very morally wrong."
The right thing to do would be to say "It is wrong, we stop doing it!".

Defending torture is never a good answer.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

America must cease its inhumane treatment of innocent people. Plus, compensation and apologies must be made too. The whole story is just so shocking.

I agree but I'd like to add that even guilty people shouldn't be tortured.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yeah I can see various groups in the Mid-east agreeing to this....

Not!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
Yeah I can see various groups in the Mid-east agreeing to this....

Not!

Ya, so what??

I can see various groups in the Mid-east doing all kinds of stupid, crazy BS but does that mean since someone else does it we should too??

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight

Well, every nation starting to stop it's own routine of torturing should be praised, right? You can't go around and say "everyone does it, so we have to do it, too, even if it is so very morally wrong."
The right thing to do would be to say "It is wrong, we stop doing it!".

Defending torture is never a good answer.

Lol I did not defend it, go back and read again. If you actually believe it when a country says they don't torture, then you're living in a dream world. Oh and by the way, do you really think they give two sh!ts whether the people say they don't want torture? I'll give you a hint.......the answer is no.

The people behind the curtain pulling the strings will do as they please. We are the lowly peons. Again, the world is what it is.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's just going to be done in SECRET,probably on ships now.
It is HILARIOUS you think waterboarding is evil. WE do it in training.
We use other countries for the real nasty stuff.
Accountability has been REMOVED and is now ILLEGAL...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

I agree but I'd like to add that even guilty people shouldn't be tortured.

Yes, that is what I should have said.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
Waterboarding may be accepted by Klingons, however, I assume that as a national policy during the Bush administration, the world should now see the USA as one of the bad guys.

The US could take a step on the long road of moral redemption by being 100% transparent, offering compensation, freeing all illegal detainees (even those held in overseas occupied territories, such as Guantanamo), and changing its terroristic foreign policy to one that is more cooperative and peace affirming.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

We've BEEN the bad guys since WWII it was just kept SECRET so we wouldn't KILL them for it.

join