It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackwater: Just Another Government Scam?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Applied already does.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jenisiz

interesting...what is so worry some about it is even if they had a small army...lets say 2000...mercs...enough to give a headache for any army that wanted to lets say attack or enforce something...

you'll see corporations really making whatever laws they want or refusing to pay fines for things...and what are you gonna do? Send in the military to deal with them? Not when every big company has a brigade size force at their will.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

you'd find this article a great read then

link...corporate person

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Secrets keep LEAKING, Jesse, a private contractor is the ultimate in deniable operations.
A buddy of mine was a CT he says you really have to watch your back in some cases.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

thank you! good article

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Once again you can thank Dick Cheney and his push for privatizing anything government back while he was Sec. of Defense in the 90's. It was a great way to funnel tax money to private interests and avoid the hassles of government accountability. To them it was a win-win situation.
Certainly no single soldier (er, operator..::cough:
is worth a million $ a year but when you have the kind of interchangeable revolving door management between government and corporate America it was all too easy to make happen.
Meanwhile, their investors smile at their stunning quarterly returns thanks to the taxpayer who was forced in to needless wars in the Middle East based on faulty intelligence and outright lies and fought with no plan other than to milk that cow as long as milk flows.
You have to wonder when you have people like Buzzy Krongard who work for the CIA then Deutsche Bank and finally Blackwater just how these kinds of interests are interconnected because many of the same people are. Come to think of it they all had fuzzy roles regarding 911 too. Hmmmm.....

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

When following the money, the Carlyle group is one that pops up occasionally as an asset manager of about $200 Billion. They made a lot of profit through war and have some high connections. These days there are a lot of different fund, trust and asset managers around with some getting into the Trillions of dollars. I am not sure who's who with them all, but it seams to be where a lot of the money is flowing to these days.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Spot on, AsktheAnimals. Much of the DoD became privatized in the 90's. I think it actually might have been the flagship of privatization within our governments (other areas that became privatized were correctional facilities to the processing and dispensing of food stamp monies as examples). The primary argument that has backed much of the privatization moves within the federal government is the idea that bureaucracies are more costly because they are inherently riddled with inefficiency and opening up those areas to privatization could drive down overall governmental costs with efficiency. The primary issue with that is that governments are not set up to make a profit and their actual goal point is to be at $0 (revenues-expenditures = $0) at the end of their fiscal year. When you insert in a private company, well, you're also adding in their need to make a profit and, in many cases, that need for profit may actually drive against the idea of something being a social benefit.

Privatization also works against the social benefit based basic business principles. A company which has zero growth in a market tends to be viewed negatively as that is essentially stagnation. The preference is for ever increasing revenues (or profits) such as 3% growth from quarter to quarter. While that's fine for Apple or Nike, is it okay in a military function (war?), food stamps (more "clients" aka recipients), or correctional facilities (more prisoners)? Profit should never be a function of government in my view and, in fact, historically, many of the things that were privatized previously were made public because of history and for the public social benefit as private companies were found wanting (fire brigades are great example of that). On top of it, for profit-government leads to all sorts of things and relating that back to the DoD, it would be selling its wares to other countries.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Your comments about the profit motive vs social benefit cut to the core of many of our problems with government today. It's because it isn't government run that it becomes a self-perpetuating problem with these same corporations lobbying to increase their own business. This has led to a cycle of runaway fiscal spending in the interest of increasing profits. Definitely a huge wrong turn in the way we approach government affairs.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Absolutely and, bringing it back to the DoD, this is what that looks like in terms of discretionary spending. Discretionary spending represents monies not mandated to be set aside as a part of the regular budget due to pre-existing legislation but instead, are passed by Congress to be spent in addition to mandated funding for the year and signed by the president. So, technically discretionary spending represents those monies set aside by the combined approval of both the legislative and executive branches of the government each year.

1996 is the year when the DoD privatized military housing and 1998 is when utilities became privatized so those are the first swoops of privatization that are publicly available. Based on the graphs, they don't seem to have reduced overall expenditures for the DoD and as you can see, it was still consistently ticking upward even before 9/11 and 2001.

Also an important note is that the DoD is apparently having trouble with its own books. For several years in a row, the GAO was unable to give an audit opinion on the DoD due to multiple accounting failures. Without going into all the accounting speak, that's not good and to put it into perspective, even Enron had an audit opinion before it went belly up. God bless the GAO for not selling out like Arthur Andersen did but it's deeply troubling when you consider how much money is actually being funneled in and out of the DoD every year. They make Enron look like a small fry.

And absolutely about that whole revolving door relationships between government and corporation. One of these private contractors has a retired Brigadier General at the helm. Now my grandfather was a colonel and when he retired, he lived comfortably at the retired full bird colonel pay rate til the end of his days. It actually made him a millionaire between that and smart investments. A Brigadier General's retirement pay is going to be a lot higher than a full bird colonel and he's going to be privy to so much more than my own grandfather was in his obscured military career. I have a serious problem with that because that is an individual with a whole lot of power, connections and information being placed at the helm of a private corporation whose primary motives are profits.

My grandfather did DoD budget analysis and management etc as a comptroller for a bit in his career. I'm pretty sure he'd be rolling in his grave at all of this.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this article! Very interesting

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
IS THIS THE REAL VENTURA?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Jesse Ventura, you provide pretty good information.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well, after I got out I was picked up the next year for some amusingly shady short-term contract work that was obfuscated as could be but ended up trailing back to SOCOM and a private group you'd expect through a couple of twists and turns.

I was getting about 3x what I was making as an E6 in a year in three months of relatively non-dangerous work.

I've always wondered if BW was the next step up, maybe actually run by DoD and OMA under the table through some retired SOF/military management, appear to be a private corporation but in reality they're just a deniable military or intel asset.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I don't think that was the initial plan that Erick had in mind... I mean I could be wrong...they coulda planned it all out from the beginning as some big conspiracy to have a deniable army buuuuuttt... The story is just to real for that to be true.

Erick prince has now released a book entailing his life and careers. Take it with a grain of salt as its wrote by Erick about Erick pretty much soo I'm always a bit skeptical of those books buuuuut the historical timeline isn't in question.

I musta missed the part about Erick prince workin for bush sr. But it basically goes that Erick noticed when in the navy seals he was getting flown all over the country to train at all these various shoot houses and long distance ranges and defensive driving courses and class rooms and whatever.... It was eating up all his stateside time getting taken all over the country for training. He thought "why don't we have all this at one spot near our home base?"

Well when he got out blackwater was born. As mentioned mr prince comes from a background of fiscal responsibility and it was a pretty easy endeavor to get going. The name comes from the muck they found all over the land they bought in Moyock North Carolina. The logo comes from the black bears they bumped into while scouting on one of the first trips out there.

Not long after things got going they were little more then a fancy shooting range with a few big name instructors. They had a few very unique target designs that were requested by law enforcement and shooting ranges for themselves and they started the target manufacturing line that blackwater puts out (unsure if it's still around) but before too long things picked up. After getting through the hiccups that all small(relative) businesses go through they started making more money then they knew what to do with(a speck compared to future earnings) so they expanded!

I forget the exact moment they went from a training facility to a contractor but it wasn't long after they got going. Not to try to paint ole mr prince to highly of a light but he's pretty cool lol.. Right after he first got there his troops and the dignitaries they were there to protect didn't have armored vehicles and they were running into some #. The armored vehicles they owned were jumping through hoops in their way to Iraq legally but that takes forever so in the meantime Erick went to Europe somewhere and bought some old surplus European armored vehicles to keep everyone protected in the mean time..

Another time the polish ambassador was in the poo bad.. He was toast.. His guys were all blown to hell they were trapped in a house they took over where their convoy got hit... They weren't gonna make it.. Very much an overwhelming force.. Well the military guys for whatever reason couldn't get their helicopters down close enough cause of buildings and wires and there was all these problems getting a QRF(quick reaction force) mobilized... A chunk of the blackwater guys heard what was going on over the radio and wanted to help but their was one issue... Blackwaters choppers and men were not contracted for this mission specifically or as the QRF so their insurance did not cover them if they were to come to the embasadors rescue.. Might piss off your boss if you crash a million dollar helicopter when your not supposed to be out with it ya know... Well witha quick phone call to Erick prince the on scene commander spelled it out and before he could get it all out prince simply said "go, go now" and what do ya know... Them blackwater boys showed up just in time and saved the polish ambassador and his men(I don't recall exactly the casualties they took) I never heard this story til I got his book... Damn cnn lol.

There's several other incedents where blackwater was awesome.. Even outside the ME into Africa. For the most part they are awesome.. Now just like the post office.. Someone's gonna mess it up for everyone at the company(going postal still means going nuts lol) and a few bad actors did find their way into the blackwater ranks, but for the most part it was a pretty stand up company.

And the VAST majority of blackwaters contracts and contractors had nothing to do with pulling triggers. We're talking maids and cooks and IT guys and all the infrastructure that comes a long with trigger pullers too.

One major contractor vs civilian tragedy that always gets blamed on blackwater wasn't even them too, I can't remember now but it was a big one that was all over the news.. Funny thing about blackwaters contracts... No matter what the news says or a politician say OR ANYONE SAYS ONLINE about blackwater they aren't allowed to talk about ANYTHING. Blackwater has this weird(or I thought so) gag order on them that keeps them from even being able to defend themselves from slander. I'm not saying they didn't do anything bad ever.. I'm just saying one of the majorly reported incedents had nothing to do with them and they couldn't say word one to reputiate that.

All in all I reckon the worlds got a bum view of blackwater and I think Erick prince started the company for just reasons but in the end maybe the politicians saw them as a possible whipping boy.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

When following the money, the Carlyle group is one that pops up occasionally

They're connected to the Bushes, so that's not surprising.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

IS this a thread against Blackwater OR against your dumb government?

Blackwater filled a gap the regular armed forces just were not up to par on or not quite allowed to legally do!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join