It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police killings highest in two decades

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
According to a new FBI report the number of fatal police shootings of felony suspects last year was 461.

That is the most in 2 decades.

With all the police shootings being reported lately this does not surprise me one bit. It did not just seem like it was happening more because of the internet exposure, as some would have you believe. It is a growing trend of shoot first ask questions later.

Hey that should be their new motto.

The number of felony suspects fatally shot by police last year — 461— was the most in two decades, according to a new FBI report.

The justifiable homicide count, contained in the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Report, has become increasingly scrutinized in recent months as questions continue to be raised about the use of lethal force by law enforcement.

National attention has been drawn to cases from New York to Albuquerque, though much of the focus is on Ferguson, Mo., where the restive St. Louis suburb awaits the decision of a grand jury weighing the fatal shooting in August of a black teenager by a white police officer.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

It really doesn't matter if that number was 4,651 this year alone....Nothing would still be done to punish these officers! Apparently police, government or anyone in those circles are the only people who don't have any form of law! They are above any law the regular Joe Schmo is under, crazy really and it just continues right along this way...Next year it will be higher and then higher and still nobody in "LAW ENFORCEMENT" will be punished in any way shape or form...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You should put up the stats on the number of police killed or shot at in the line of duty. Just for comparison.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Its why we dont let 90% of our fuzz have guns. The oinks cant shot you if they dont have a gun :p
edit on 12-11-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

So you're saying police should never kill people under any circumstance?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987

It should only be as a very very very very last resort and not used in the regular way I see.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What I find disturbing is the absence of a Federal B.I. database of innocent American's killed by LEO's.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You do realize that popular culture tells police it is their duty to shoot.

Look at all the detective, cop, NCIS, etc shows. Normally, a law enforcement officer shoots and frequently kills at a minimum one person per show. So television has made it a norm for law enforcement officers to shoot first, ask questions later, that is what the heroic law enforcement officers do on television. In movies it is even worse, the law enforcement officer normally shoots/kills lots and lots of bad guys without asking questions. This is the cultural meme and cultural norm that they see every single day on the purveyors of culture, television and movies.

It is not surprising at all.

Then add to that the video games in which we train young men and women to kill without thinking and without remorse. It is the same type of brainwashing the military uses to get soldiers to kill without thinking.

We as a culture have accepted as "entertainment" law enforcement shootings and killings as necessary and expected behavior from our law enforcement officers.

I have written to many of the TV networks about this and they have ignored me. Except Person of Interest, I noticed they are now not killing but shooting in the knees to disable the bad guys, at least it's something.

If you say, TV and Movies, and Video games can't be causing this, you are quite wrong. The psychological research (I taught PSY in colleges for many years) is quite clear that this is exactly how you get people to shoot and kill without thinking and without remorse.

Ask yourself, how many of the law enforcement officers on TV, in Movies etc are punished for shooting - probably none. How many are asked to surrender their weapons for an investigation of the shooting, less than 10% at best. How many are commended and roundly applauded by their colleagues and superiors, most of them.
TV and movies are simply a reflection of the culture and help to shape and make the culture.

Look no further for an explanation, that is where you will find it.

edit on 2Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:42:18 -0600pm111211pmk123 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
You should put up the stats on the number of police killed or shot at in the line of duty. Just for comparison.

The annual report from the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund also found that deaths in the line of duty generally fell by 8 percent and were the fewest since 1959.

According to the report, 111 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty nationwide this past year, compared to 121 in 2012.

Forty-six officers were killed in traffic related accidents, and 33 were killed by firearms. The number of firearms deaths fell 33 percent in 2013 and was the lowest since 1887.

www.nleomf.org...

So just to recap that's 461 fatal cop shootings and 111 dead cops in the line of duty.

And only 33 killed by guns.

you are more likely to killed by a gun working at a gas station.
edit on 12-11-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dezertdog

What I find disturbing is the absence of a Federal B.I. database of innocent American's killed by LEO's.

…and also the trees.

# 322

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Doesn't suprise me either all thats been on lately...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

The annual report from the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund also found that deaths in the line of duty generally fell by 8 percent and were the fewest since 1959.

According to the report, 111 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty nationwide this past year, compared to 121 in 2012.

Forty-six officers were killed in traffic related accidents, and 33 were killed by firearms. The number of firearms deaths fell 33 percent in 2013 and was the lowest since 1887.

www.nleomf.org...

So just to recap that's 461 fatal cop shootings and 111 dead cops in the line of duty.

And only 33 killed by guns.

you are more likely to killed by a gun working at a gas station.

What about cops being shot at?
That list only has fatalities. Cops in my area have to wear bullet resistant vests for protection. That coupled with their training is bound to reduce deaths in the line of duty.
How many of the police shootings had unarmed victims?
How many had guns?
I would think these would be important factors.

And your more likely to die driving to the gas station than working in one.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I was watching Drugs,Inc. the other day and they showed a stat - over 150 cops killed per year while on duty.

Of course, no mention of how many people the cops killed. Just funny how that propaganda works. It's ok for them to shoot us but OMGZ!!!!!!!!!!! 150 killed per year? That's got to be a really low number considering there are how many cops out there. Seems like a epidemic of cop killings is going on and they really need to do something about it so they can all get home safely. Gods forbid they actually protect innocent citizens or something like that.

@Hoosierdaddy. I see you asked, so there's your number right there, it was in a episode titled The Inside Man. You may not like that number and if you don't, take it up with NatGeo. it's their show and it's their number.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I don't believe I was defending the police.
But you make it painfully obvious you don't read through the threads. The op answered that question already.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It is a statistic on FELONY related shootings. Maybe don't be a felon and you won't get shot. My thought is society can do without them anyways...not too worried about being shot myself as I am not a felon.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight…and also the trees.

# 322

Ok I'll bite.

By 322 your referring to Skull and Bones. And "trees" is an analogy to the average citizen?

To the OP I know we're off topic here but let's see where this goes.

edit on 11/12/2014 by dezertdog because: added quote

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
It is a statistic on FELONY related shootings. Maybe don't be a felon and you won't get shot. My thought is society can do without them anyways...not too worried about being shot myself as I am not a felon.

Its a statistic on felony suspect shootings. "

Innocent tell proven guilty right?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

That is a good point.... Hummm wonder if the dead people were Felons before they were shot or just became one when filing the police report ?

It's true I have a problem believing anything they put on a police report anymore.. So shoot me !

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Not felony related felony "SUSPECT" in which case you shouldn't be in stores with toy guns or oblivious to the world at any time because cops have killed several felony suspects that were doing nothing wrong except being at the wrong place at the wrong time when a dumb LEO all hopped up on whatever mistook them for a felony suspect.

Also do not call the police for help if someone s suicidal because they will help them to their death.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987

He didn't say that, you are creating a falsehood, please don't enlarge on a falsehood as if true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join