It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man of 30 Sets Fire to Himself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A man, 30 years of age, set fire to himself on a busy Liverpool, England street as horrified passers-by saw him run in flames into the Pizza and Kebab shop he lives above.
The man is in critical condition but is lucky to be alive at all were it not for the quick reactions of a passing police officer who got a bucket of water from the shop and through it over the human fireball.

icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk
The 30-year-old was in flames yards from the Aigburth flat where he lives with his partner and young child.
The man, who has not been named, lived in a flat above a pizza and kebab takeaway on Aigburth Road.

It is believed he ran into the shop in flames.
He would have died but for the quick thinking of a passing police officer who grabbed a bucket of water from a nearby business and threw it over him.

Station officer Dave Hughes of Speke fire station said: "The flames had been extinguished by a policeman who arrived at the scene first.
"The victim was ina very bad way and was extremely lucky that the policeman arrived.
"He had suffered massive burns to his upper body and was clearly in some distress."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow! I mean what state of mind must you have to be in to do that to yourself? Even if you want to die surely there are less painful methods available, this guy must've been seriously depressed...or having a really bad trip.

I feel sorry for his family, it's not clear if they were actually aware of what was going on at the time. For the sake of his child I hope not.

This just goes to prove to me though that the government should be spending less on surveillence cameras all over the place and invest on police on the streets instead. Would a camera have saved his life? No, it just could've told you how he did it. Police are needed back on the beat, not turning up after the fact.

Mind you, in this case I'm sure the guy would've preferred not being saved at all. If he's going to set fire to himself I'm sure he meant business, and probably wont want to live the rest of his life with those burns either. The copper certainly meant well though.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It would appear that the man did have a serious problem that was of organic origin. It's a shame that the poor soul had to do something this deadly to draw attention to himself or some cause he was endorsing. I grew-up with a guy who had a constant desire to see things on fire. Pyromania is gaining in pouplarity in some cultures.
I wonder what would get him so upset. The loss of a job? Perhaps a loved one passed? Maybe he got to far into debt. Whatever the reason, we'll never know unless he pulls through. I'll say a prayer for him tonight. R.I.P.

new topics

join