It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inequality, student debt and millennials

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I have two brothers who are engineers. Neither of them received any scholarships or any assistance other than a student loan and maybe a small PELL grant. I was in an engineering program and got measly grants as well, but they didn't cover jack squat. Better than a stick in the eye, but really of no consequence either way. White males do not get scholarships any more.

Also, I work in Santa Fe, New Mexico. "Art" is a veerrry subjective term. Most of it around here is absolute garbage. A lot of it looks like the scrawlings of an insane person. If we are talking commercial art, like I have done, that is more of a technical/trade type endeavor. Bu to let people draw nudes on the government dime, I disagree with that.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

So you all got snookered into the higher education scam and now you want everyone to bail you out? There are no free rides. You all would have been better off going to a trade school.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Hm, the most educated? I guess people only know what they are "taught" -- and I certainly see a lot of millenials with degrees that can barley take care of themselves.

I've conducted a lot of interviews, and it seems that the freshly graduated kids from college have absolutely no clue about the real world. It's as if 90% of what they "learned" went out the window as soon as they took whatever tests they had to in order to graduate.

I consistently seem to find better job applicants from people without degrees or "some college".

It's almost as if as student debt increases, the quality of their educations decrease.

I knew we agreed on some things, the only modification I would make to your statement would be to remove the "It's almost as if" and substitute "federal subsidies" for "student debt" and we would be in full agreement.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

And why are the college administrators paid so much? So stupid. It's profit and indoctrination. Destroy creativity, any initiative to change the world and they're taught to pay attention and show concern for a small set of issues.

Profit over people.

College administrators? As if! The highest salaries for colleges in most states are sports coaches.

Yet another perfect example of how ludicrous our society is. We need to be exterminated.

You first.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

People haven't been selfish. People have been materialistic. There's a difference in my book.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

They sure intersect quite a bit

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

To some degree, but if you constantly sacrifice your own dreams for just a few more dollars, what is it that you truly value? I judge myself based upon my priorities. Materialists judge people based upon their outcomes. I'm truly selfish, and while I'm working to rectify the areas in which my selfishness injures others, I see no problem in accepting a diminished lifestyle from a materialist perspective if it means being more true to my own self.

Honestly, I think if we all behaved this way, leaving just a little room for friendliness and generosity, the world would be amazing. We might not have as much impressive stuff, but I think we'd all be happier and we'd get to live in a world where amazing people did amazing things on a daily basis instead of grinding away in a land where everyone struggles until they just can't keep it up anymore.
edit on 11 12 2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

So you all got snookered into the higher education scam and now you want everyone to bail you out? There are no free rides. You all would have been better off going to a trade school.

You mean the scam that we've been told is the only course of action from the time we were in kindergarten? We were such fools for listening to every adult in our entire lives repeating how important college is over and over and over.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

You mean the scam that we've been told is the only course of action from the time we were in kindergarten? We were such fools for listening to every adult in our entire lives repeating how important college is over and over and over.

Exactly right.

The problem is that every kid is told they'll be a failure without college. What they aren't told is how to properly research and choose a career along with which course of study will help them get there. The majority of high-school kids have no clue what they want to do with the rest of their lives but they're expected to make a decision and move on to college right away.

So a few things happen: 1) They change majors at some point and have to stay in school longer, losing whatever scholarships they had and incurring student loans. 2) They never figure out which major they should pursue so they give up at some point and drop out of college before they get a degree. 3) They settle for a major which isn't really what they want to do OR they pick a major that's easy (and worthless) so they can't use it when they finally do graduate.

The problem isn't with the kids. The problem is with the system telling kids they MUST go to college right after high school to have a decent life. What the system should be doing is helping kids make the right choices instead of forcing them into the educational meat-grinder for the sake of higher profits.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

How the hell can you know what you want to do with little to no experience?

HELLO the whole system is stupid.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Why do we need a college degree, some people are not cut out for college. Yet kids that don't fit the sit down and listen mold still feel obligated to suffer through it for a slip of paper and a mountain of debt.

There are manufacturing jobs out there, trade skills, things that you could make a good living at, or you could use to pay cash for college.

Yet we still brainwash are kids that working with your hands is bad... Bleh.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Actuslly I've worked in the office enviornment and its creatively restricting, can't stand the backstabbing and nepotism, the work doesn't require any skill and it's boring.

Now I do construction. Takes hard work, has a lot of mobility and I make the right choices I can start my own company in the future and I can always improve my skill set and get creative with a skillful approach.

I don't have to deal with the crazy nepotism and backstabbing, still exist but hard work and quality is king in construction.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: nfflhome

I know how it works and that is my problem with it. So much emphasis is paid on bringing prestige to the college through sports victories when the emphasis should be placed on higher learning. Sports victories are fleeting, knowledge lasts you your lifetime.

And I wouldn't have the knowledge that lasts me a lifetime without sports as I went through school on a sports scholarship.

And I am not alone.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yup, I've been an acft mechanic for nearly 20 years. Boss pisses me off hit the flight line, made decent money more than enough to pay the bills and take a vacation when I want and where I want.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I think some people aren't cut out for higher education and should fill other job roles. I do agree with you that a higher education should be free, but it should be only available to people who can pass certain tests showing they are capable/deserving of that free education.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Yep the scam of social propaganda by union teachers. My folks only graduated from 9th grade never went to high school. They went to work after finishing 9th grade. I was raised on a work ethic, when you went to work you did the best you could and it was not a play house where you went to get out of work. Trade schools were pushed more than college in my day.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The attainment of a college degree in no way indicated or directly reflect the intelligence/education level of the individual.

A truly intelligent individual would realize that one can achieve the same level of education by reading and researching on their own. A truly intelligent individual realizes that he entire you-have-to-have-a-degree-in-order-to-be-successful argument is full of crap.

Only the truly ignorant go into deep debt in order to chase this bullsh!t societal lie. It is not the "system" that is at fault, it is the individual who cares only about holding a degree, yet has nothing to show for it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

They are 18 year old KIDS. I don't care what the law says most people are completely stupid until their mid 20's and after 7-8 years of living the life of a researcher and in my late 20's, IM STILL COMPLETELY STUPID.

So give me a break and give these kids a break.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Oh I get how it works. I was more wondering if you think that is a good thing or not. Seems to me that the appeal of getting more money has distracted colleges and shifted their priorities away from what they were formed to do. Educate.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not saying that sports can't be at universities. I'm just saying that a college needs to have its priorities in order. Education first, play (sports) second.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join