It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective Black Outrage (Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So why are we discussing this again?

1.) We good little puppets discuss what the media and dear leaders want us to discuss.

2.) We live in a society where individuals are so insecure in their own identities that they appear to have a compulsion to categorize and subcategorize every freaking blessed thing in their quest for some kind of warm fuzzy or ability to relate.

Hate crime?

Cop on black crime?

Black on black crime?

White on black crime?

Brown on white crime?

Yellow on yellow crime?

Youth on senior crime?

No, people. CRIME.

edit on 11/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: i hate ATS on this damn phone

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: StarGazer77

No responsibility, no personal accountability.

What's the root of this incident? The cop being "aggressive" or Mike Brown being a criminal?

We all know what it is. Even if the cops need to cool it, the citizens need to be just as accountable.

Good point!

They always seem to "leap-frog" over the incidents that lead to the shooting, such as the shooter being violently assaulted.

Some go so far as to say, 'Well he can't get mad cuz he was loosing a fight!"

Only violent people support physical altercations as if it just a normal occurance.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

The cry of 'abuse' is to perpetuate the victim narrative.

Simply put.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

To be fair, we are discussing this so that people can identify the hypocrisy in the "blacks get gunned down police big problem' narrative.

We are discussing it so that other cultures/races can understand why they should not be feeling guilty about problems in the black community.

In my opinion, it is a very fruitful discussion, much better than the divisive conversations surrounding the recent Ferguson incident.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Why are we discussing this? Because it spits in the face of everyone else who has been a real victim of violent crime. Using people and putting more value onto someone than their worth is a complete disrespect to innocent people who may have died before them.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Stargazer, so the only whites that feel outrage in these cases are "those that feel guilty"?

Wow, you certainly don't have any predicated judgements on the issue, do you?

And thanks for identifying your race, so that we'll know that your opinion carries weight rather than just letting your words and evidence speak for you.

Was there anything different about the Martin and Brown cases that set them apart from other white-on-black shootings?

Could it be that the young men in both these cases were themselves unarmed? Could it be because they were obviously targeted because of their race?

Could it be that these are the apex events for long-standing discriminatory actions by the majority on the minority and that the minority is just getting sick to death of them at a deep visceral level? No, rioting is not a positive or productive social statement, but tell me honestly Stargazer, are you really stating that you see no reason for deep-seated anger on the part of the Black community in this country?

Actually, if you just answer the last question I'll be good; thank you kindly.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I guess you missed the story about the white high school students who got into an altercation "both unarmed" the one being defensive punched and killed the attacker, no charges being filled, no riots happening... Weird ain't it?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Stargazer, so the only whites that feel outrage in these cases are "those that feel guilty"?

Wow, you certainly don't have any predicated judgements on the issue, do you?

And thanks for identifying your race, so that we'll know that your opinion carries weight rather than just letting your words and evidence speak for you.

Was there anything different about the Martin and Brown cases that set them apart from other white-on-black shootings?

Could it be that the young men in both these cases were themselves unarmed? Could it be because they were obviously targeted because of their race?

Could it be that these are the apex events for long-standing discriminatory actions by the majority on the minority and that the minority is just getting sick to death of them at a deep visceral level? No, rioting is not a positive or productive social statement, but tell me honestly Stargazer, are you really stating that you see no reason for deep-seated anger on the part of the Black community in this country?

Actually, if you just answer the last question I'll be good; thank you kindly.

Loaded questions. Thank you.

This thread, this one right here, only is addressing the selective, cherry-picked outrage that people show when the shooter is a non-black.

On the issue of them both being 'unarmed'...

Unarmed is a legal term used to identify the fact that a suspect was not found to have had a physical weapon on his person. Be mindful that people can 'arm' themselves with their own body strength, as well as YOUR gun ( as Brown attempted to do).

Lastly, at what point did Officer Wilson know that Brown was indeed unarmed? Never. Because of Brown's actions (assault then running), there was no opportunity to be searched.

All the hype about him being "unarmed" is not relevant to this shooting since the suspect never allowed the officer to verify that he was unarmed.

BUT

Let's stay on the subject of this topic.

What part about my OP is not a fact?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It certainly hasn't helped that Obama and Holder use these tragedies to further the divide between blacks and whites. When your top "leadership" fails so miserably you get predictable results. There is a cultural element at play that does place blacks at a disadvantage, namely that Whites are traditionally taught as young kids to "do good in school, go to college and get a good job". Often Whites have the financial ability to hire tutors or send their children to private schools. Mainly White suburban schools are also a better learning environment and are better funded.

A large percentage of Black children grow up in single parent households, go to city schools and are surrounded by a culture that glorifies materialism, overt sexuality and me-first mentality. These are generalizations of course, not true of everyone but do apply to a majority. Long story short; Blacks DO grow up disadvantaged in many ways to become a success in later life. It's a shame that sports seems the only way out for many Black kids but that is the one area where the playing field is fairly equal between urban and suburban schools.

Instead of protesting on behalf of a small-time criminal who foolishly tried disarming a policeman and was killed they should be yelling about getting better educations, keeping families together and keeping crime down in their own neighborhoods. It is much easier to go out and raise hell for a simple cause like Michael Brown than trying to articulate the many reasons Black kids really are disadvantaged. They feel the need to protest LOUDLY and this is just an excuse to do so because the media has made such a fuss over it.

We better start addressing the real issues that make life harder for most Black people in the US and then we will see less of the symptomatic responses like what's occurring in Ferguson.
edit on 12-11-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Are you Jessie Jackson?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
It MIGHT have something to do with the current POTUS or his ex Attorney General and their orchistrated media...
edit on 12-11-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: jheated5

I guess you missed the story about the white high school students who got into an altercation "both unarmed" the one being defensive punched and killed the attacker, no charges being filled, no riots happening... Weird ain't it?

Exactly.

The use of the word 'unarmed' is only to appeal to emotions, to perpetuate yet again the 'victim' narrative.

Michael Brown never allowed himself to be checked for weapons, so finding out that he was unarmed 'after the fact' is irrelevant.

If a burglar breaks into my home and I grab my gun, I do not have the duty of finding out whether or not he is armed before I blast him away.

They can't connect the dots to see that, though.

link   
There isn't Selective Black Outrage. There is Selective Mainstream Media Coverage.

link   
Back in the 50s and 60s, even though there was an obvious amount of racial issues in the U.S. and the South still wasn't clear of 'whites only' water fountains, and lynchings were still going on, most black families were intact; the men had jobs, sometimes good paying assembly line ones, people dressed well and there was a respect on the streets, enforced by the social mores of the era and, let's face it, fear of white supremacy.

Fast forward into the 60s and 70s and the jobs for blacks evaporated along with the drug problems; selling drugs became a way of life and for some the only way to make money, black men ended up incarcerated far more than the ratio of the population, families were broken up with children now having no fathers in the home, being raised by single mothers; this became standard, get pregnant at 16, get welfare, children raising children without a clue as to proper parenting skills. The educational level went down, the inner city schools became nightmares of undisciplined, hungry children with no teachers wanting to work there.

And here we are now; thug culture and anger at the white world and black male children not expecting to live past 20... I wonder if white culture and the 'drug war' which made drugs both such a wealth producer as well as a negative cultural influence will ever understand the impact this has had; if marijuana is made a legal drug, are the 1 million mostly black men that are in prison for petty nonviolent drug deals going to be given remuneration? Will black society finally get a clue and refuse to allow their young women to get pregnant and go on welfare as a matter of course, and instead to get an education and try to break free of the cycle?

There's obviously a lot of guilt to go around, but everyone needs to take some responsibility for their behavior, their education, their employability. Is it really this hard to see what's going on and overcome it?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

The ones using division to prevent unity won't allow it. At least not anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
You would think that they would be outraged by all the kids killed in Chicago and Detroit. But as you say, black on black crime doesn't count.

black on white crime does not count either....
do they ever use the term 'hate crime' when it is black(or any color) on white?

i just posted a link i another thread that talks about the term and definition of 'white guilt'...

give me a break....there is no hate crime...just crime..

i think it is always going to be this way though....

how many people remember the name reginald denny?
prob not too many.....everyone knows rodney kings name though...

after the treyvon thing how many pics and such did we see of him shopped to look like mlk or che?
give me a break

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
.......There is a cultural element at play that does place blacks at a disadvantage, namely that Whites are traditionally taught as young kids to "do good in school, go to college and get a good job". Often Whites have the financial ability to hire tutors or send their children to private schools. Mainly White suburban schools are also a better learning environment and are better funded.

A large percentage of Black children grow up in single parent households, go to city schools and are surrounded by a culture that glorifies materialism, overt sexuality and me-first mentality. ...

I.

Good points!

However, does the fact that whites tend to grow up with better values, and parents with better abilities to pay for tutors PLACE blacks at a disadvantage? I would say no.

These facts simply place whites at an advantage, which does not affect the ability for blacks to do the same.

In other words, just because whites have these advantages does not mean they have suppressed blacks from doing the same.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
So why are we discussing this again?

1.) We good little puppets discuss what the media and dear leaders want us to discuss.

2.) We live in a society where individuals are so insecure in their own identities that they appear to have a compulsion to categorize and subcategorize every freaking blessed thing in their quest for some kind of warm fuzzy or ability to relate.

Hate crime?

Cop on black crime?

Black on black crime?

White on black crime?

Brown on white crime?

Yellow on yellow crime?

Youth on senior crime?

No, people. CRIME.

Agreed...

If someone murders you or a family member,

Would you give a sh!t how much pigment the SOB had in his skin....No

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

when topics like this come up on the net or in real life people almost always 'qualify' themselves with a little disclaimer...

im not white but.....
or
im black and......

cause if the op would not have said he/she was black before everything else, others would lose it and cry racism...
fact

edit*
even something like
im not racist...but
edit on 12-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

In other words, there needs to be a reason to say "this shooting" or "that shooting" is the reason for non-progress in the black community.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Those who shout the loudest are looking to blame someone, anyone for their own lack of ability or drive to improve their lives. They can shrug off the responsibility, by claiming it's Their fault.

sadly that is rather true. even worse it is not just the unsuccessful in life that do this. even those who are and have been successful in life join in and use it to show how all those that are unsuccessful in life are just being "kept down" because of their color.

one person African Canadian i respected and thought was a good person not full of bigotry and hate, actually had a Facebook "dumping spree" due to the Ferguson incident. he posted a major rant about all those who were racist as shown by their hateful comments and that he had dumped almost 100 "friends" due to it and how much it hurt him that so many people he respected were such racists (that was before i was one of those dumped). now reading the statement that was made you would think all of those people had made remarks like the guy deserved to be shot. but no we were all just as outraged at what we were hearing. the problem was that we did not jump on the "he was shot because he was black" bandwagon, but instead had stated that there is a big issue with out of control cops. some of us even said yes the fact he was black likely did play a part in the situation, but the bigger problem was out of control cops and how serious a problem it has been becoming regardless of race. there are a few disturbing things about this. not only is he a successful person, but he works in the media at one of the big newspapers in Toronto as a writer. in other words he was one of those that were stirring the hatred pot. it also shows that even in Canada black people also like to blame the white man for keeping the black man down. you know Canada the place that did not have the major slavery issue, and even had many people working the underground railroad trying to save and free slaves, and like many people putting their lives at risk to do it. yet this blaming of whites for their problems is still a huge thing. it even affects those who are first generation immigrants. i had a coworker who was a recent immigrant to Canada, and he constantly went on about how we held his ancestors as slaves and how all black problems were caused by white people. and true to form when he did not get his way, it was "because he was black". it seems to me that very attitude is the reason so many black people are not successful. so many of them automatically and loudly proclaim all their problems are "whities fault", instead of accepting responsibility for their problems.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join