It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First contact: Who should represent humanity?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I guess I am thinking along the lines of a lovely mother representing mankind?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Not sure why you think that's a good idea, but like I said — there's plenty. Send The Rump.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My vote would be an assembly of children around the world who:

1) Haven’t been yet tainted by the ugliness, selfishness and greed of mankind
2) Can communicate intelligently

I’d much rather innocent children represent us than anyone else I can think of.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumpyloaf

My vote would be an assembly of children around the world.

Good idea. Nice expendable little hostages.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Frontline. If they turn out to be hostile.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Many people believe that contact with an advanced extraterrestrial race is inevitable, but we are more focused on how we should communicate rather then how we should present ourselves. So after much deliberation I’ve narrowed the list down to a handful of candidates that could represent humanity with dignity.

FYI: It's already been decided.

She is an astrophysicist who speaks a bunch of languages:

edit on 13-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Well I say they should be greeted by folks who like signs,yeah sure they are gonna be a few here and there at first,but then their cousins or in laws will wanna come over here on a "scholarship" see..over stay their vistas have anchor babies and will become Alien Americans moving into your hood with peculiar habits,foods and smells they will multiply like rabbits taking your jobs and if things don't work out well then they will become a nuisance demanding that Alien Americans should have their own holidays and street signs and official forms should accommodate Alien language...i mean the nerve of them.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

You just reminded me of the old sci fi tv show Alien nation. If I remember right the humans there protested about the aliens coming and taking their jobs etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
INHO, the U.N. 'anointed one' is among the worst of possible choices. Instead, I propose the following:

Let the People of Earth Decide... It should be not one individual, but a team of a dozen or so that can represent a broad spectrum of humanity. They should be well-prepared and well-versed, and be vetted, intuitive, bi-directional communicators of exceptional character, integrity, and intelligence. For this profoundly momentous occasion, we have no choice but to put our best, most carefully selected forward. To do otherwise would be unfortunate, inefficient, and counterproductive.

There should be a friendly, but comprehensive competition among those that consider themselves worthy of this magnanimous task and duty.

A period of time, say one year, should be given so that ALL of humanity can weigh in and collectively decide upon the criteria for selection. ALL persons, regardless of race, rank, economic position, nationality, or religious affiliation should be given the opportunity to provide input and feedback on what is important to them and what they consider important to this planet that we all share together. Subsequently, a pre-ordained supranationalistic organization will then collaborate to determine the aggregate needs and desires of all, which will then be used as a basic foundation to prepare to select the contact team.

Ideally, the selection criteria for the team would include adequate representation from all religions, animists, atheists, agnostics, and monotheists alike. It would include a balance in genders, social scales, political persuasions, and academic backgrounds. We would need to make sure that team members have no hidden agendas or ulterior motives, that they understand their responsibility is to represent us as a species, and that their mission, to a great extent, must be to obtain (but not attempt to independently decipher) as much information about the alien species as is possible, and especially, to communicate back to the rest of us exactly what the intent and purpose of the alien species may be. As in selecting the original contact team, we should ALL have a say in how we may respond or react (if given the privilege to do so).

I realize many responses here have been made with tongue-in-cheek, cavalier mind-set. That's fine - a sense of humor is as important to humanity as other idiosyncrasies. Likewise, I don't think that S. Hawking, Stan Friedman, Kate Upton, De Grassi, or any of the others are very good choices - mostly because I don't think a majority of humans would agree that they should be on the team. Celebrity, fame, social (or even scientific) exclusivity may not make the best representatives of the rest of us.

Instead, I would suggest that "the people" would prefer among rather unknown, but highly respected and responsible clergy, educators, farmers, sociologists, doctors, environmentalists, artists, scientists, and similar thinkers and doers that are also exceptional listeners and communicators.

Then let's invite an equal team of alien representatives to meet in a mutually-conducive, symbiotic setting away from military, government, and, especially, media to see why they are here, what they want, what we can learn from them, and if they will help evolve us toward a brighter future for humankind and perhaps invite us to join them among the stars and the rest of the galactic community.

May the truth be known and shared among all...

edit on 11/14/2014 by Outrageo because:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Outrageo

Do we really believe that China or Russia or the US would accept a national of another country we have disagreements with to speak on behalf of humanity?

I think we would see nations running their own intergalactic foreign policy. I think Human nature at the level of politics is to exploit a situation for gain and not for all people involved.

Its like the ISS and China. We don't want them involved in that program because of the access they would have to our space technology. Never mind the fact they hack into the system to snag it anyways as well as Russia sharing technology with them.

You also run into the minefield of determining which nation makes contact.
* - The largest
* - The most population?
* - The most powerful?
* - The most technologically advanced?
* - Communist verse Capitalism verse Theocracy verse Monarchs etc etc.

I see first contact occurring as described in an episode of Mock the Week.
"The aliens landed at 0330 this morning in Bracknell. The looked around, went uhhhh, and left."

If you were an advanced ET civilization with interstellar capabilities would you want aliens on another planet, say earth, who are fractured, kill each other over food, resources and religion, territory, who are armed with weapons capable of destroying the Earth 100 times over, to venture out into space with those traits?

I think we would be classified as a direct threat to the national security of those alien species who were able to overcome their differences and venture into space as one entity.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

LOL. I think that way because it is the poet in me. Sentimental about motherhood. Proud of our human mothers and the pain they willingly go through to give life. I guess that is the message I would like another living form to get.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Anybody suggest Morgen Freeman yet?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
No one being can represent the incredibly large and diverse population of humans on earth.

The only way it can be done is by a gathering of ALL world leaders. No matter how miniscule the populations the represent.

If you present ONE man, that will send a bad sign about what you (humanity) are all about.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As long as it's an atheist I'm fine with whoever they send.

Religious crackpots need not apply and you're an embarrassment to the human race.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Jon Stewart

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Robin Williams due to his familiarity with alien cultures based on his work on the ground-breaking reality-tv/documentary series Mork & Mindy. Oh wait, he's dead! we're screwed.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
Jon Stewart

2nd best choice.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
How about instead of having one person attempt the impossible job of representing all countries, cultural/ethnic, and religious groups, we have different nations respond to ET individually by either selecting an individual that represents that specific country or however they please? I'm sure some countries would want nothing to do with this ET business, while others would be obsessed with it.

Not only is it a foolish idea in principle, but it would also be a significant boost to the globalist agenda.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Diablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's not up to any of us to decide who gets to initiate first contact with extraterrestrial life if that life is superior to us in technology and intelligence. The invading ET race would choose who to contact first. I personally believe that formal contact between Earth humans and non-human races has already happened in secret thru governments such as Russia USA and China. I can't prove this so therefore I can't tell you how redundant your question is.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo
INHO, the U.N. 'anointed one' is among the worst of possible choices.

Why? She was the most qualified and voted on by member states.
edit on 14-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join