It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosetta Comet Landing: LIVE-Stream, Countdown & Mission Updates

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

thats what they just said, its not anchored as well as they wanted it to be, it could mean Philea can fly off the comet...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sounds like it's hanging on by it's fingernails....Wild ride.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Hang on in there likkle space ship dude!!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wait..What...Albert Einstein just made an appearance..

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

originally posted by: Yule C Mann
This comet landing may be a REAL short blip due to technical error. If this comet is any thing like Siding Spring (you know the one that destroyed the Mars base) expect Rosetta to be swallowed up for alien research or turned into space dust. Sorry, didn't mean to bruise any egos here.

lol wtf are you talking about

Some guy claims that as he saw a telescopic view of Mars and he saw a big explosion. However, if there was an explosion on Mars large enough to be seen from Earth, then it would have been a global event on Mars -- but our rovers there had not witnessed any such global event, and everything seems fine.

Here's a video of what the guy claims he saw, but by looking at the speed of the "explosion", I think he just caught a lens flare or telescope reflection of some sort. An explosion would not move that fast.

This is what happens when people troll for youtube hits by preying on scientific illiteracy. If there were any such explosion on Mars it would be big news and the whole world's astronomers would be studying it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

thats what they just said, its not anchored as well as they wanted it to be, it could mean Philea can fly off the comet...

Damn! if its only got one or two anchors in the surface,it may not be able do the drilling and testing its supposed to do...
Please at least let it take some pics,to maybe identify the problem for future missions.

Fingers crossed its landed fine,and the anchor sensors are damaged and sending false data...Please please.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Oh an hour or something from now, and they'll have launched the anchors again. That'so damn exciting! I hope it'll work.
And have to admit I want to see the surface pics as well....

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: HomerinNC

Oh an hour or something from now, and they'll have launched the anchors again. That'so damn exciting! I hope it'll work.
And have to admit I want to see the surface pics as well....

Hope when they fire the Anchors they dont blow it back off the Comet and back into space.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

They're assessing the situation and may need to re-deploy the anchors again... we'll find out in a while what the scoop is. But they don't seem to be panicking about it at this point, so it sounds like they're pretty confident they'll get those suckers in there properly.

Fingers crossed, otherwise poor little Phil might not be able to cling on for very long.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

ah thx for that

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Urch my nerves....
I'll get a refill and keep my fingers crossed. But it already was pretty exciting, with half an hour delay of data transmission we landet succesfully! How awesome are we, right?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

That's the awesome part about space science...

The way it pulls together so many different countries, shoving useless politics aside, and working together with the same goal of advancing the betterment of mankind.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I like a good suspense thriller movie or novel,but hell this is too much!
Imagine how much nail biting is being done at ESA centcom...

At least they had the forethought to program a second attempt at anchoring if the first failed.

It ain't a bust yet.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yeah, no doubt there's going to be a few chewed off nails until they're able to get those anchors set in place.

LOL

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Apparently the harpoons did not fire at all:

Philae on Twitter

Philae Lander @Philae2014 · 13m 13 minutes ago

I’m on the surface but my harpoons did not fire. My team is hard at work now trying to determine why. #CometLanding

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

Well s&%*. My stomach just knotted all up, it's like waiting to see if the boulder rolls off the precipice on to your car underneath.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Any Aliens reading this?
Do me a favour will you fly over and hit the harpoons with a hammer thanks in advance.
Humanity.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Worth a try I guess.

At least its on the surface and hasn't bounced off(yet).
That has to be a good thing.
lets hope the anchors work on second try.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

Immediately after it landed (and after all the cheering was done), the people at the mission control did seem concerned about the altitude telemetry. From the little that I could gather by listening to their conversations amongst themselves on the live internet stream, it seemed that there was some concern that the altitude data did not immediately update after it landed (I think they said that the altitude data after landing was still showing the same altitude from an old data packet, prior to landing).

Maybe this has nothing to do with it (maybe that data was eventually updated), but I also wonder if it is possible that there is a problem with their landing/altitude radar. Maybe the harpoons are fired based on the altitude data, and Philae doesn't know that its altitude is "zero".

...again, I'm simply speculating, and I could be wrong.

edit on 11/12/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hopefully the foot screws deployed properly and will be enough to hold the lander to the Comet.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join