It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosetta Comet Landing: LIVE-Stream, Countdown & Mission Updates

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
update for those not in live feed....it landed successfully... then speculation:

it didn't anchor and lifted back off and set back down again...just speculation....

the radio link has gone on and off and currently is off but other instruments are working

they will release more pictures soon
edit on 12-11-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

link   
This is probably the photo I like the most so far.
It shows the whole peanut shaped space rock in all its glory.

But check out the caves...

It almost looks like a scorched space critter,mouth open,eye socket present.(right side)
You could fly a millenium falcon into that mouth shaped cave.
It also has leg stumps-a gigantic space chicken maybe.

edit on 12/11/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: tags

link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I wanna lick it to see what it tastes like

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

by caves you mean alien homes!

space cave sounds so cool...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

And by alien homes you mean alien missile ports...
...hence the great interest in this comet, from a military standpoint

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
First picture from the surface:

More will likely be released tomorrow at 14:00 GMT.
edit on 12-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObsidianEclipse
Damn something had to go wrong but lets hope it can be corrected!

It wouldn't be rocket science if it was easy.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
First picture from the surface:

More will likely be released tomorrow at 14:00 GMT.

Nope, it is not from the surface, its from about 3km

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Was hoping to see the landing and hear over the video
"We're in the pipe 5 by 5"

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

Aliens quote for those not in the know

Also yes I wish we saw it real time.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Exciting times we are living in!

I wonder what the test results Philae takes will show. And will it help us answer some questions about our universe?

Just imagine their joy, after waiting for 10 years, they finally made it. Philae has landed.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eagleyedobserver

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver

wtf are you talking about?

did you not read my post?

I wrote(before I edited my comment) "WOWI just can't get my head around this achievement"

You wrote "'wow, this is a massive achievement'.

Why are you using almost the exact same words ? If you didn't mean it then sorry. It was just very weird to me when I read it.

A lot of users

I didn't even see your post until after I had posted as I was responding to the OP.

Anyways. Nevermind. Apology accepted.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A great day.
We of the two legs tribe have achieved some great things on our path,and this is one of them.
We can be amazing when we get together.
Crazy and badass as well maybe,but amazing none the less.

Lets hope the solar panels start working soon for extra power on Lil Phil.
Can't wait for the next communication.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It would be nice if we could get some color photos. I'm really getting sick of black and white. This is the 21st century. Color has been in since the late 30's.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce
It would be nice if we could get some color photos. I'm really getting sick of black and white. This is the 21st century. Color has been in since the late 30's.

Black and white sensors have higher sensitivity and higher dynamic range (generally) so we will probably not see any color photos from these kinds of missions anytime soon.

Also, there isn't much color anyway, only spec of color is on the crafts themselves if they use yellow tinted Mylar or gold connections, other than that, most of the other stuff is either black, white, silvery or greyish. And comets doesn't have any interesting colors either. This comet has mostly black and white features to so no point in having anything other than a high sensitivity black and white sensor.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JesperA

How do you know what color it is? They haven't taken any color photos.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think this is the first landed image?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce

All digital color images are basically just "approximated color" anyway -- Including the cameras on spacecraft, and even the color images from you consumer digital camera or your mobile phone. You may be surprised to find out that digital cameras are essentially "color blind"...

...That is to say that the light sensor (CCD, CMOS, or whatever) that picks up the light from the camera can only sense shades of gray -- not color. The way your digital camera works is essentially by putting each image seen through three filters (most consumer cameras actually use a single three-color filter called a "bayer filer") to get a grayscale image that is translated in your camera into a color image -- based on what imaging science knows about how different colors look in grayscale through various filters of different wavelengths. This is all done inside of your camera, and takes less than one second. You never know that the camera is doing this.

So the light sensor can only "see" grayscale, but the computer approximates the color for you -- thus it is not really a true color image, but a computer approximation of what it thinks is a true color image based on the graysacle information.

Many spacecraft also employ this same technique. For example, the twin rovers on Mars (Spirit and Opportunity) had cameras essentially did the same thing, but instead of combining the information from the three filters inside the camera, it keeps the three grayscale images separate (three grayscale images as seen through the various filters) and transmits them back to Earth so imaging scientists here can combine them and assign the colors. This is done because more imformation can be found by analyzing the three separate grayscale images. If they would be combined prior to transmitting to Earth, information would be lost.

The Curiosity Rover on mars does it slightly differently. It has the ability to view the grayscales through different wavetentgh filters (thus being able to discern greater information at those wavelengths), but it also has a bayer filter for creating instantaneous near-true-color images.

I think I read that Rosetta/Philae has filters in wavelengths of red and green, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cameras could NOT produce the near-true-color like a consumer digital camera.

edit on 11/12/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

I got this one from the BBC.

Now we need Arken to find some stuff in it
edit on 12-11-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
I think this is the first landed image?

That looks as if it was photographed second-hand off of a TV monitor. I think "boymonkeys" image above is the actual digital image.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join