It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video parody of song "All About That Bass"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Glad to see this song being mocked.

Parody (scroll down if you haven't seen original)

Original (Gets more annoying than the original after 3:30)

edit on 1120141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The real song is good. The parody is just juvenile.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

It is a catchy song. Nothing fantastic, but what do you expect from pop culture nowadays? I honestly did think the singer was black. Is this what African Americans mean when they say white people are appropriating their culture? I feel really guilty right now for some reason... guess all of that anti-racist propaganda they feed us from gradeschool onward really does the trick. ;p

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The song and singer are mediocre at best. The only reason we are hearing this song is because she is someones relative. The reason it has stuck around might have to do with the meaning of the song, but the lyrics aren't really impressive despite the message. The "No treble" part is just too cheesy and doesn't even fit smoothly.

That said, the singer is a pretty girl who looks healthy for the most part.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Honestly I thought just the opposite. First time I heard either.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I wouldn't say good... I'm not going to lie and say I don't find it catchy.

I enjoy the parody being juvenile.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Perhaps I'm biased by liking the song. I don't think that's really it since I don't worship it or anything. I watched his parodies of songs I hate. It comes off as a lazier less funny version of "honest trailers" for music videos. He copies everything about the music video and just adds in some lyrics that match up well with the real lyrics but are mean or silly.

A lazier less funny version of Weird Al essentially. He is as emblematic of YouTube success as the artists he makes fun of are of mainstream success. I've had friends of mine freestyle better parodies of real songs before :p

I dunno why I just don't like the parodies at all. Then again I was just watching some George Carlin so it could be like eating stale nilla wafers for dessert after a gourmet steak dinner.
edit on 12-11-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

That being said though, thanks for sharing anyways. You've posted stuff that's amused me before so funny be discouraged. Something just turned me off real hard with this parody.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Parodies are supposed to be funny dude.

That one hurt me. It was just a worse version of the original.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Yay it's not just me

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I prefer this one

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Now I know what my husband was really doing the last time he told me that he was going fishing...

I want my cut of the youtube click check!

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Wow.. you've just explained a LOT. You have no idea.

This is the first time I have seen or heard about the original, manufactured excuse of a "song" about nothing. Who in their right mind could listen to this aural garbage for anything other than inspiration for committing suicide?

edit on 12-11-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: barf

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

What did I explain?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
the song doesn't say much, especially coming from a singer that isn't remotely overweight. It's annoying to have someone try to be an advocate for others when are still perpetuating the opposite. It's like when Ashton Kutcher, Calvin Klein model turned horrible douche bag actor, tells kids that beauty is more than your physical appearance.

These people are detestable.

As for the song itself, it only makes me think of Bo Durham's "Repeat Stuff"
edit on 12-11-2014 by WampusCrandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WampusCrandle

Do you think the parody was good? I thought it was pretty uninspired however true it might be.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

That one definitely wins.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

you know, I am always picky with parodies. I am not a huge fan of shoe-horning words into places where it obviously doesn't fit, where words have to be stretched out, etc.

I didn't think this was a fantastic parody, though the video, on mute, is visually goofy.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I really hate the original version of this song. I get to hear it every morning while driving my kids to school. I too, sometimes want to commit suicide when I hear it.

The parody was funny. Why on earth can't women just be happy with their bodies?! If your guy doesn't like your curves or lack of, there's one out there who will! Such a superficial culture we live in.
But I speak from experience... I am 30 and am just now happy with my body. I rarely wear makeup and have embraced everything natural about myself and feel better than I ever have about myself. It has been really liberating.

Then I hear songs like this. And see Kim Kardashian's bare butt all over the internet...

new topics

top topics

join