It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Ice Age Infants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Saw this today and thought it was interesting. I am not sure if this is the proper forum so if not, apologies. I also did a search and nothing...

The remains of two Ice Age infants, buried more than 11,000 years ago at a site in Alaska, represent the youngest human remains from that era ever found in northern North America, according to a new paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

University of Alaska Fairbanks
Ice Age Infants

These two infants were found beneath the location of another child discovered a few years ago. The two were cremated and buried.
One died in utero and the other survived (it appears) for a few weeks. I wonder if they were related since they were buried together? It makes me wonder about the Mother of the infant that died in utero and why she wouldn't have been buried along side the child.?

Stillborn Infant

This discovery is fascinating to me. The burial practices, finding three children in the same location with no adult bodies discovered yet, a glimpse into another world.
edit on 11-11-2014 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

wow that's interesting, I love stuff like this. These people were builders too? From the link in the op.

Potter made the new find on the site of a 2010 excavation, where the cremated remains of another 3-year-old child were found. The bones of the two infants were found in a pit directly below a residential hearth where the 2010 remains were found.

In the paper, Potter and his colleagues describe unearthing the remains of the two children in a burial pit under a residential structure about 15 inches below the level of the 2010 find.

The presence of two burial events—the buried infants and cremated child—within the same dwelling could also indicate relatively longer-term residential occupation of the site than previously expected.

So these children were buried under the floor of a structure with a fire place/earth oven, there are other ancient peoples who did this same thing. I wonder what this ancient structure looked like.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
What truly amazes me about a find like this is just think if even just one of them had survived into adulthood. Potentially, history could've completely changed.

join