It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Williams Suffered From Lewy Body Dementia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granite
a reply to: theantediluvian

Why is he outliving them?
No drugs and light alcohol is the key.
He may outlive you...your worst scenario.

I have a nice beach-side property for sale in Nevada. Rush - no drugs …

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

okay, when do you think then that it would be better to kill oneself? Does suffering serve no purpose? I would argue that it would/could. Though, in giving up, one would never find out if it would or not. Granted, if the guy was hallucinating something intense, he would be mentally compromised and not fully responsible for his actions--at least imo. I hear what you're saying. Just curious on when you would judge it to be not-okay. Is there any time when one should suffer instead of giving up? Does giving up then cause others to suffer more than they would have?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Sabiduria
sometimes people who commit suicide are using a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Sometimes. But a lot of the time people who commit suicide are using a definitive solution to a permanent and worsening problem that is unbearable.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

In the case of Robin Williams, I'm not going to include hallucinations because we don't know for sure if he was having one or not, I understand why he committed suicide. Robin had been suffering with really bad depression since his Mork & Mindy days. He was also in recovery, which for anyone who knows about the 12 steps, can make someone even more depressed. You have to admit all the wrongs you have done, even the ones you didn't know about but were told about when you made your amends. For someone like Robin, I imagine this must have been really hard & made his depression flare up. Then he was diagnosed with Parkinson's and that was probably the straw that broke the camels back, especially if he started to get Lewis Body Dementia and other bad side effects from the medications he was on. He probably didn't want to go through anymore of it and put his family through the hell of watching this great man's body fail on him.

I would say you shouldn't commit suicide when your 16 and your boyfriend just broke up with you. If you do commit suicide over that, your family & friends will be devastated at the loss. My guess is that their pain and suffering will be worse than the heartache you feel at the loss of your boyfriend at the age of 16.

Sometimes it's more obvious that a person shouldn't take their life, other times it's very obvious why they took their own life and other times it's a very fine line.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Most of my post was talking about those cases where people are doing it because the problem is a worsening and it's permanent.

I wanted to point out though that sometimes it's the opposite, not always but sometimes.

When I was wanting to attempt suicide, it was because I was 16, my younger sister had been diagnosed with an incurable auto-immune disease that could kill her two years before that and my Mom was newly diagnosed with Crohn's and just about died because her doctor was ignoring her problems. I was faced with having to take care of them both because my parents had split years ago & my older sister bailed. It was incredibly overwhelming and I was afraid of what would happen if my Mom died and I was left to have to take care of my very sick younger sister.

I had a friend who talked me out of it and I'm very grateful they did. Yes times were very hard, I've been through hell and back and survived. It was worth it, thus far, but I had to work very hard to make it worth it.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

This story keeps morph'ing to protect greedy ex-wives who bled Robin dry. He was deeply in debt, and facing a shortened future of entertaining due to Parkinson's. He was a Star, enormously talented, proud and sensitive.

You don't need to put the chemicals in his brain under one microscope after another (although he was NOT on illegal drugs or alcohol at the time of his death). It's the Psychology, not the Pathology that drove him to suicide.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
I always felt that just having Parkinson's (which is a long, slow death sentence) was a key factor in his decision to check out.

Remember, he was 63 - not old, but his best, healthiest years were behind him.

I imagine the news of his diagnosis would have been as shattering as terminal cancer.

"You're going to die prematurely, but before that you will gradually lose your mental and physical faculties and become dependent on 24 hour nursing care."

I'd like to believe that I myself would have the courage to do the same as him, given that outlook.

me too I watched my mother pass from this and to this day I can't deal with the things she went through, if only?
why would anyone want to pass this way when you can't even remember who you are? better to die with dignity than to wait and die slowly, when your brain is completely destroyed.
he made the choice to end his life on his terms and I imagine it wouldn't be an easy choice to make.
edit on 16-11-2014 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2014 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join