It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon holds earths timeline secrets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is an intresting article

www.space.com...

especially the part on rcovering "Venus" rock but i find the bit below strange

Earth's surface is continually recycled, folded deep inside the planet by the same forces that generate earthquakes and volcanoes. The Moon, on the other hand, has almost none of this tectonic activity.

from this am i wrong in thinking that the moon has earthquakes,or land shifts? what dos it mean when it says "the moon on the other hand has ALMOST none of this tectonic activity"

im sure someone here will put me straight

regards

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Tectonics are the movement of plates across the surface and this is more or less generally caused by having a dense, superheated interior. THe moon is solid throughout and cold, and, as far as i know, not made up of anythign like plates.

If the moon does have 'moonquakes', then they aren't caused by the movement of plates, which is what causes most earthquakes. However, some earthquakes are caused by 'isostatic rebound' (basically, compressed crust bouncing back up, in the NE US, the compression was from the weight of glaciers) and some other processes I would guess. I don't know if these are active on the moon. Landslides are caused by gravity, and of course gravity on the moon is weak, but I'd imagine that landslides can still occur. But landslides aren't a tectonic process anyway.

Other planets, like Venus, have 'apocalyptic tectonics', it, they are so active and so roiling, that plates arent moveing, but eruptions and such dominate the 'crustal processes' and the like.

Anyway thats my understanding of the situation.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
thanks Nygdan.....that would seem to make sense.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
This is an intresting article

www.space.com...

especially the part on rcovering "Venus" rock but i find the bit below strange

Earth's surface is continually recycled, folded deep inside the planet by the same forces that generate earthquakes and volcanoes. The Moon, on the other hand, has almost none of this tectonic activity.

from this am i wrong in thinking that the moon has earthquakes,or land shifts? what dos it mean when it says "the moon on the other hand has ALMOST none of this tectonic activity"

im sure someone here will put me straight

regards

I'm sure that I won't straighten up the matter, but,
there is a difference in the phrase tectonic activity
and the term, phrase... tectonic 'process'

much like Nygdan stated...moonquakes are a
seisemic? activity from an undetermined process.

i think the 1st author used greater poetic liberty in
linking earths unique plate tectonics with lunar landscaping?
...but you got the idea? right?

end of message

new topics

top topics

join